Some concerns on a new 997S

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:21 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Some concerns on a new 997S

Hi All,
I wanted to run a few things by you and get your thoughts. I got a great deal on a new 06' 997S. It is my 3rd 911. This car sat on the dealers lot for some time, about 7 months. It is a seal grey full leather, carbon, nav, bose, heated seats, Carrera S painted seal grey wheels.
My concerns are that the hood shows weird indentations or what look like large dents in each lower front corner near the front bumper. I looked at several others and most had this. It looks as if someone closed the hood/bonnet improperly and dented the hood. Even a brand new 07' had it. Does yours? Is this just the way the hoods come out?
None of the Caymans had it, all the Boxsters and 911's did.

Another issue is the front window has some scratches in it. Can these be removed/buffed/or hidden?? When the light reflects just right they act like reflectors and really show up especially at night.

I really appreciate your help input, kinda bums one out to see this on a new $95K+ car.

Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:29 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should not be any dents or indentations.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Would need close up pics of the dents. First I've heard of this as an issue. As for the windshield, I'd certainly want a replacement before plunking down that kind of $$ for any new car. Wouldn't accept one that's scratched. Does the car have any miles on it?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

German glass is soft. Period. Once you get a replacement in there (preferably a US manufacture to Porsche specs) you will do a lot better. It comes with the territory,--but then you aready know this is this is 911 number 3.

The hood should meet better than you describe. Of course, the hood, being aluminum, won't tolerate a lot of abuse. You have to treat it that much better, over past cars.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:52 PM
SYMA
Pro

The car had 140 miles on it. Otherwise the car is perfect, no paint flaws, minimal orange peel, all panels fit nicely.
Just the hood showing weird waves/soft dent type indentations in each lower corner. Like I had said earlier most of the P cars on their lot had this. Maybe a paintless dent guy could work it out?
Do you think the front window can be buffed Vs. replaced?

Dan, I didn't realize the hood was aluminum on the 997.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:54 PM
SYMA
Pro

The car had 140 miles on it. Otherwise the car is perfect, no paint flaws, minimal orange peel, all panels fit nicely.
Just the hood showing weird waves/soft dent type indentations in each lower corner. Like I had said earlier most of the P cars on their lot had this. Maybe a paintless dent guy could work it out?
Do you think the front window can be buffed Vs. replaced?

Dan, I didn't realize the hood was aluminum on the 997.

Oh I forgot, the headlights are fogging up inside.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMA
I looked at several others and most had this. ... Even a brand new 07' had it. ...all the Boxsters and 911's did.
Think about it. ... If all the Boxsters and 911s you saw have this feature (indentations according to you) in the same exact, precise location, wouldn't you think that perhaps this is indeed a feature of the design? Without knowing what you're referring to, I would tend to think that it's probably some feature you're not used to seeing on the new models. But if these "indentations" are randomly distributed, i.e. not in the same precise location from one car to another, then I would tend to think the dealership is doing something terribly wrong when processing these cars, which is highly unlikely.

Did you bother to ask the sales guy what these "indentations" are that you're seeing?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

If you're referring to the fact that the edge of the front fascia which meets the hood is a bit higher than the hood itself, that is normal. It's a couple of mm.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
If you're referring to the fact that the edge of the front fascia which meets the hood is a bit higher than the hood itself, that is normal. It's a couple of mm.
Yup. All 997's and 987's are this way.
I didn't realize the 997's hood was aluminum, either. Makes me want to be more careful applying hand-pressure to make it latch.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 AM
OCBen
Banned

Hey Chris, I like the santa hat on your chick there! Good p-shop job!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Hey Chris, I like the santa hat on your chick there! Good p-shop job!
Thanks. Just did it.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 AM
SYMA
Pro

Originally Posted by Leader
Yup. All 997's and 987's are this way.
I didn't realize the 997's hood was aluminum, either. Makes me want to be more careful applying hand-pressure to make it latch.

Hi Leader,
It sure looks like sloppy bodywork to me. I will attempt to see if I can get some pics of what I'm referring to.

I am not referring to the front bumper/facia sitting higher than the edge of the hood. I am referring to there being wavy low spots or dips in the hood itself in the 2 lower right corners. Almost appears as if you were to take a basketball and throw it at these areas, it is a big round soft dip and when it catches the light it looks like the car was in an accident.

When I return home I will take it to this very renowned body shop Import Auto in Charlotte. The guy is great!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 AM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seen the same thing...

I have seen the same thing SYMA refers to on the front hoods of many, many 987/997 based cars. I am very picky and even my new 997 (see images of the car(!) - not the hood) has this to a certain degree on the right side - not as pronounced as some cars I have seen but nonetheless there. Silver helps hide it better than darker colors. Like BenOC said it is in the same place on all the cars I have seen (>75% of those I have seen) - not a random thing. I think it is a stamping artifact and not port/transportation damage. That's my guess anyway. I would not trust a dentless paint guy to 'repair' it.

You willl also commonly see the same thing on the doors - particularly right in front of the door handle - again a stamping artifact- I have seen it too many times for it to be random damage.

Porsche really ought to be able to sort this out - Honda and Lexus have it right...

Jeff
07 997 C2S
Old 11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by jaf996cab
- not a random thing. I think it is a stamping artifact and not port/transportation damage. That's my guess anyway. I would not trust a dentless paint guy to 'repair' it.

You willl also commonly see the same thing on the doors - particularly right in front of the door handle - again a stamping artifact- I have seen it too many times for it to be random damage.
Something similar is also seen on the inside door panels:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/251532-door-panel-question.html
Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That silver w/black wheels is very nice...

Quick Reply: Some concerns on a new 997S