Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Press

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well since my car is in for some rattles I was given a Cayman as a loaner, and honestly I love the thing. I think it is a hell of a lot of fun to drive, has a great exhaust note, nice interior, fantastic handling, and is more than worthy of carrying the Porsche badge. I think it is a great addition to the product line.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
ron,
u.s 2006 ytd thru aug. sales are almost dead even b/t the four boxster/cayman variants and the nine 997 variants listed.
the figures are a little misleading given all the dif configurations in which the 997 can be purchased.
porsche sacrificed boxster sales to the cayman to keep from eating into it's higher profit 997 sales.
my local dealer has 2006 boxster's at 10% off through the end of nov.
i guess it's a nat'nl promo?
probably partially due to the increased hp of the 2007's.

personally i like both the 997's and the 987's
heck, i wouldnt even mind a 980!

p.s. ron - have you heard the cayman is going to make the 911 obsolete?

sales figures from renntech.org
I was referring to this press release for North American Sales:

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, sold 3,614 vehicles in North America in April 2006; this represents growth of 9.3 percent compared to the comparable prior-year period (3,307 units). USA and Canada thus posted the company’s highest ever figures for deliveries. Porsche had already recorded record sales figures in its most important sales market in the months January to March 2006.

The growth course continues to be driven by the sports car model series. Sales of the 911 increased by 22 percent to 1,328 vehicles. This is also a new record: Never before have so many 911s been sold in a single month in North America. Sales of the Boxster model series accelerated even more rapidly to 1,288 units, representing growth of 26 percent; 699 of these sales related to the new Cayman S.

Cayenne deliveries remained at a high level. Sales of the sporty all-terrain vehicle, which have hovered around the 1,000 mark since the beginning of the year, reached 983 vehicles in April. This represents a slight fall of 14 percent compared to April 2005. 15 units of the high performance Carrera GT sports car were delivered.
Which I'll confess is a bit old now, but that was the last one I saw.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Well since my car is in for some rattles I was given a Cayman as a loaner, and honestly I love the thing. I think it is a hell of a lot of fun to drive, has a great exhaust note, nice interior, fantastic handling, and is more than worthy of carrying the Porsche badge. I think it is a great addition to the product line.
Wow, your lucky. Barrier Porsche in the Seattle area has given me a Kia Mini-Van and a Hyundai as loaner cars.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
I'm glad to see the V6 Cayenne sales suck. If Porsche insists on building an SUV, at least it shows that buyers want a little performance in their car. For chrissakes Porsche, a V6 Cayenne has to be the ultimate poseur vehicle.
Agreed 100%. The V6 Cayenne is a really terrible car. I got one as a loaner, and was appalled at how slow it is. My old P38 4.6 Range Rover was faster than this out-of-breath hippo. On the positive side, it turns well and stops well given its mass.

That the V6 Cayenne gets similar mpg to the Cayenne S (you spend a fair amount of time at WOT in the V6) adds insult to injury.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
I was referring to this press release for North American Sales:
was only joking w/ you ron!
the canadian figures though oct 2006 are 585 - 997 vs. 580 - 987.
even closer.

LINK to pcna canadian sales

like i posted b/f i like both the 987's and 997's.
(apologize in advance ben, that the source doesnt explain the figures to where you personally will be able to understand)
Old 11-16-2006, 03:35 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
Wow, your lucky. Barrier Porsche in the Seattle area has given me a Kia Mini-Van and a Hyundai as loaner cars.
Ouch. They just started having Porsche loaners here recently. When my car was out of service for a new engine I had a Pontiac GP for well over a month. After driving that thing for that long it comes as no surprise to me the GM is on the verge of bankruptcy.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

(apologize in advance ben, that the source doesnt explain the figures)
Apology accepted.

Try to do a better job next time, Mr. Nicholson. Or there will be consequences.

Is that understood?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,707 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i took out the mat over the engine (long story)....
now you think you are driving the cup car.
dont think i am putting it back.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Agreed 100%. The V6 Cayenne is a really terrible car. I got one as a loaner, and was appalled at how slow it is. My old P38 4.6 Range Rover was faster than this out-of-breath hippo. On the positive side, it turns well and stops well given its mass.

That the V6 Cayenne gets similar mpg to the Cayenne S (you spend a fair amount of time at WOT in the V6) adds insult to injury.
I agree it may be slow, but your memory might be a tad off. The 0-60 on the base V6 Cayenne is 8.6 sec's (factory - which is conservative). There wasn't a single Range Rover that did 0-60 in under 9.0 secs until BMW redesigned it and put a BMW engine in it. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, there wasn't a single Land Rover product that went to 60 in under 9.0's before that.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

I wanted an open car and got my Boxster S. If I wanted a coupe, I would definitely get a another 911.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

it's SIR when you address me son!
i'm SURE i can HANDLE the tru . . . er . . . consequences!!!
ARE WE CLEAR?
Colonel Jessup, need I remind you that you are ONLY a colonel and that I CLEARLY outrank you, even though I might be young enough to be your son.

Nevertheless, I was taught well by my parents to respect my elders, so
Sir, YES Sir, we are clear here.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am going to get my fiancee a Cayman (base w/some nice options) for a gift (and to let me drive it from time to time ). It's a really nice car - I test drove the base one and found it to be a lot of fun.

I bought my 997S for many reasons, but primarily because of the icon that it is. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, secure in the fact that even though there are faster, better-handling, or more practical cars for the money, I made the right choice.

Quick Reply: Cayman Press