Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belts and DE/Autox

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006 | 04:24 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Default Seat Belts and DE/Autox

Outside of going to a 4/5pt harness and lots of mods to accommodate the harness people are using the CG Lock with success for DE and Autox.

Has anyone looked into using the passenger seat belt mechanism? The way I understand it is that all seats except the drivers seat have a baby seat retention feature that rachets if you pull the seat belt out all of the way. It would be nice to have this feature on the drivers side as well. The advantage over using the passenger seat belt mechanism over the CG Lock is that is also holds the upper half of the belt taught. Seems like a simple idea. Wonder how difficult it would be to incorporate. Someone care to try the mod?
Old 11-07-2006 | 05:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well here's what I do.

Esablish seating position,

Go back a few click in the seat

pull up diagional sholder belt to get the lap belt tight, then quickley jerk on the seat belt to set the inertia reel.

Move back to the optimal seating position.

Presto the inertia reel is locked and you are securely straped in.

(Another option is to tilt the seatback back, lock the reel, move back into position.)

Works pretty well!
Keps the upperbody planted in the seatback.

Old 11-07-2006 | 05:19 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Hi MJones - I have the adaptive sport seats. I would hate to burn out the motor trying to move the seat forward under tension. I have heard of the pull fast and twist the seat belt method. I just wish there was an easier way to cinch the belt up. The rachet feature is nice on the other belts and I'm able to get my baby seat in the back very tight. I wish I could do the same for the drivers side.

I called the dealer and the passenger seat belt is $250. I don't know how hard or if it would even fit on the drivers side though. I might have to take off the side paneling and take a look.

Anyone have the instructions on how to get to the seat belts.
Old 11-07-2006 | 06:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

MJones has it right. That's the best way to deal with normal street belts.
Old 11-07-2006 | 07:07 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Edgy01 - I agree, that's why I wanted to use the passenger belt on the drivers side. I toyed with the idea of adding a 4/5 pt harness but then I needed a harness bar, remove my bose subwoofer, remove the rear seats ect. I wanted something a little less intrusive for an DE's I plan on doing once in a blue moon.
Old 11-07-2006 | 07:47 PM
95M3CSL
Advanced

Perhaps a UK market (right hand drive) passenger belt on a US market car. (left side psgr belt used on rt side driver). Don't know if the UK has same rules about cinch and lock belts.

Regards,
Marc
Old 11-07-2006 | 09:57 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Marc - Great idea.

Request - Can someone in the UK or where ever else has right hand drive verify if the passenger seat (left side) has the rachet mechanism if the belt is pulled out all of the way.

Or if someone in the UK can pull a part number for the passenger side belt in Yellow would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Seat Belts and DE/Autox