Sponsored by:

997S sport steering wheel R&R

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Question 997S sport steering wheel R&R

Any info/procedure/protocol appreciated. Can't locate torx screws on rear of airbag cover to remove bag and get to wheel bolt. Am getting "thicker" wheel and refinished by AGLA but got to get the wheel off first. Not like 996 wheel R&R that I can see. TIA. V. Larson
Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 AM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i posted a reply over on 6speed too, but I have only seen that someone inserted a flathead screwdriver in that little hole on the back of the wheel at 6 o'clock and pushed up. this is to get the airbag out.
it looks like the 996 directions can be followed for the rest. make sure you mark the positions so they will be lined up on reinstall.
does anyone else have experience or instructions?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:35 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the link to the complete instructions for a DIY - New 3 993/996 Spoke Steering Wheel installation

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=diy

Aircooled forever

Last edited by FlatSix911; 11-08-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanx for info. Ted, I did R&R on my 2 previous 996's--your instructions right on, but on the 997 S Sport wheel, I cannot locate any holes/torx screws on rear of airbag center assembly to undo and access wheel nut. It appears that the round airbag center may just "pop off" (no pun intended) and not be "bolted" to actual wheel. I don't want to go prying around in a trial by error mode and have to believe that someone has the "real answer" to do this the right way. Thanks again anyone, everyone who might help here. V. Larson
Old 11-08-2006, 08:16 PM
raffi
Pro

Thanks for the info on the 996 wheel Ted, I already had the info for this from renntech also. Do you have any directions for the 997?
I saw 2 separate posts on renntech.org that ther person used the screwdriver from that hole at the 6 o'clock position and it popped right out. just make sure the key is not in the ignition and even disconnect the battery if you wanna be more careful. once the airbag is off you can follow the basic 996 direction to take off the bolts remembering the mark off the appropriate spots.
I will probably try this myself within the next few days but was hoping someone with experience with the 997 wheel would chime in. you can ignore my post until I post a picture of how i took it off.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM
raffi
Pro

btw, if you wanna ignore 2 more post of the guys that stuck the screwdriver in that hole here is the link to the renntech thread
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...steering+wheel
Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I stand corrected on the 997 steering wheel. I thought you were referring the the older 993/996 style wheel.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 AM
raffi
Pro

ok, so I popped the airbag off using my previously described method but am stuck since the steering wheel doesnt look much like the 996 under the airbag.
It looks like I need a torx wrench to remove that center piece but I dont know how to mark the wheel so I can realign it when I reinstall.
Do i need to remove those 4 green screws in the picture and then that black plastic housing?
Does anyone have any ideas? thanks
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2006, 03:11 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raffi
ok, so I popped the airbag off using my previously described method but am stuck since the steering wheel doesnt look much like the 996 under the airbag.
It looks like I need a torx wrench to remove that center piece but I dont know how to mark the wheel so I can realign it when I reinstall.
Do i need to remove those 4 green screws in the picture and then that black plastic housing?
Does anyone have any ideas? thanks
I just recently did this myself, too.

The screw in the center is a 12 point 55 torx but I used a 6 point 55 torx with a half inch drive and a breaker bar to get it off. It works fine. The torque setting is 37 ft. lbs. on the reset. I used the 'ol 3-step torque method... 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 or 17, 27, 37 ft lbs.

The screw comes with blue locktite from the factory and Porsche advises that the screw be replaced with a new one every time it come off... I did not though a have a new one in reserve (bought it from Brandywine).

Do not remove the green screws unless you want the entire wheel plate to come apart.

Getting the wheel center is a trial and error bear as the new OEM wheel does not come with a TDC mark... mark your own and give it your best shot... over and over. I got sick of putting the airbag back on to test drive the centering job and, like a knucklehead, I just drove it on the last test drive without the airbag plugged in at all. I do NOT suggest that as it causes the airbag MIL to come on in the instrument cluster and, I have now learned, even getting software and erasing the code in the computer does not turn out the light.

I'm gonna have to go to the service center for that.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 11-15-2006 at 07:34 PM. Reason: TDC = Top Dead Center
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis

I'm gonna have to go to the service center for that.

My dealership reset mine in about 10 minutes. No charge.

Quick Reply: 997S sport steering wheel R&R