Sponsored by:

bugatti veyron vid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
trust me...you NEED to drive one. had the opportunity last fall and it was an experience.
Thanks for sharing, Mike. That was awesome. Nice write-up too!

Originally Posted by icon
are you Michael La Fave?
Yes Jeffrey, that man is Michael La Fave - that is the logical implication. Seeing that NinetyOneC2 is from Canada obviously wasn't much help to you in connecting the dots that he's also the noted Canadian Driver, now was it? ... That's okay. You can run along now. Don't hurt yourself playing, okay?

EDIT: Darn, I wasn't quick enough with the post. LOL
Old 11-03-2006, 12:52 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

thanks.

driving the veyron has been the highligt of my automotive life thus far.

M
Old 11-03-2006, 01:55 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks.

driving the veyron has been the highligt of my automotive life thus far.

M
You are one lucky dude!

Well, at least I got to run my hands all over 2 of them and took some live pics!!! (pathetic... )
Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

that's not pathetic at all. one thing that a lot of car writers lose touch of is that enthusiasm, that passion.

driving the veyron was also an anticlimax. more than one writer has made the same comment I did - it's actually kind of sad/cruel to get to drive one. owning most 'dream cars' is a possibility for a lot of people. I sold a condo and bought a 1991 C2 - a car I lusted after since I was 12. I expect that at some point in life being able to spend $100K on a new 911 will be a possibility as well.

Heck, the way real estate has ballooned the last 10 years a lot of people could downsize, have enough cash for retirement AND park a Bentley Continental GT in the driveway.

A car that costs 1.2 million Euro, however, is a different matter. either you strike it rich or you were born that way but not a lot of people work and save their way towards a $1.4M car.

So driving it - which I will probably never get to do again - is bittersweet because it really is THAT good.

Imagine a 997T with twice as much power and you have agood idea of what the Veyron is like to drive. It has light, communicative steering, itsn't terribly sonorous, sharp turn-in and, as you can imagine, goes like nothing I've ever experienced before.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that's not pathetic at all. one thing that a lot of car writers lose touch of is that enthusiasm, that passion.

driving the veyron was also an anticlimax. more than one writer has made the same comment I did - it's actually kind of sad/cruel to get to drive one.
Thanks for the much appreciated comments. It's always nice to hear from professionals.

I can certainly understand the anticlimatic aspect of actually driving one after all the ogling and anticipation. The fantasy is always greater than the reality. Sorta like when lusting after a super hot babe that you never thought would give you the time of day, and she says yes when you ask her out and yes again to your advances. Yes, there is an anticlimax after the climax, as the fantasy is forever gone. But I'll take reality any time of the week, or day.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Rave
Advanced

Who says all VW's are crap. Most are but not this one. A Golf with attitude.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:57 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
not only that but all the cars you test from this point foward will be compared to the veyron and won't quite live up to your expectations.
you have no where to go but downhill
you poor fellow! i still don't feel sorry for you though!!!
seriously though, i thought the current price was 1.3 mil euro? (1.653 mil usd)
btw thanks again for posting
you'd think so but my memory is pretty short. was just tracking the Audi S8 with the V10 and the RS4 with that crazy little V8 and man did those carsw seem fast!

It's more a challenge to get over what you are used to. When I was a junior writer I was changing cars every three days or week. You never get accustomed to anything and everything becomes relative to experience and the last car you drive. Now I have a 650i that I use as a daily driver and the 964 as a weekend toy.

If I drive a new car it has to stack up to the BMW or the Porsche and that's dangerous as they are/were expensive cars.

For example - drive the 997 Targa a month ago in Portugal and I was blown away by how light the steering was. I felt out of sorts, it felt floppy and imprecise. I've written volumes about how great Porsche steering was so I was a bit confused - it was because I'd become used to the 964s stiff manual sttering. After a few miles I was at home in the Targa and the delicate precision was again apparent.

How's that for rambling on...

RE: the price. they jacked it once to 1.2 maybe they've increased it again to 1.3. I'm still not convinced they are going to sell all 300.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:38 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Great car that any enthusiast would find awesome, but I gotta say that I can come up with a pretty cool list of cars that the money dropped on that car would cover. Or I could run a season or two of Porsche Cup and be the opening band for the F1 guys... hmmmmm...

Quick Reply: bugatti veyron vid