Sponsored by:

Crossing over from M-3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossing over from M-3

Time/logistics/loss of "little old lady" garage have FORCED (w/ very little persuasion) me to finally pull the trigger on a 911. I have always lusted for a 911 variant but never could find a way/reason to own one. Had a 944 and hated it from the minute I brought it home. My son bought a Boxster S which I enjoy driving and brought the formerly suppressed Porsche lust to the surface.

About 3 months ago a good friend of mine ordered a Cayman S and asked me to go test drive the car and give him my opinion. I hesitated not wanting to get all jacked up BUT with my son at my side, we went over to the local dealer and tried the Cayman. Great car BUT to me, the Carrera was the P car I always wanted and needed to own.

Then the ill fated Sunday morning 4 weeks ago that really got the wheels in motion. On my way to pick up the Ferrari 308 from the storage garage for a little ride I stopped at the local dealer just to look. They had a very nice Atlas Gray 07 Carrera. I could live with a car like this, I thought

I pulled away from the P car dealer and approached the house where the 308 resides. There were movers removing furniture from the house. Not a good sign. My landlady's health was detiorating and I would have to vacate the garage as her grandchildren were going to be moving in. Tears were held back. The 308 has been my baby for 24 years BUT I had decided the next time I had to find her a new storage home would be the last. I STRUCK QUICKLY AND W/O hesitation. Traded the M-3 and will be selling the 308.

Did not wind up with the Atlas Gray C-2. My local dealer is kind of cocky and I did not want to buy from them though their service is quite good for my son and my wife's A-6. Wound up a few miles away at another dealer. They had a Seal Gray 06 C-S nicely equipped at a very attractive price. Traded in the M-3 cab, had them switch the OEM 19s for the sport design wheels (car had wheel spacers already) and am now a VERY HAPPY 911 OWNER. BTW...for anyone thinking about the sport design wheels, I highly recommend the wheel spacers. My salesman called me after the wheels were swapped and said--I have never seen the SD wheels with spacers BUT THAT LOOKS BAD ***...

THE CAR IS AMAZING. I expected the performance envelope but did not expect the comfort level the 997 provides. I am more at home in the Carrera S after 3 weeks than in the BMW after 4 years.

The M-3 is a distant memory in my tailights., They are great sports sedans BUT not sports cars. I will dearly miss the Ferrari. Ferraris are incredible pieces of automotive artwork. However. A Carrera S has the ability to make one forget about most other cars. Truly the most realistic high performance car one can drive on a regular basis if one chooses to IMHO.

Now I just have to "lose" those amber side markers.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

What a gorgeous car! Congratulations and enjoy every mile you put on her!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Great choice in color. Congrats!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

When I brought it over to my friends house ( he owns similar color Ferrari 512 Boxer) he went nuts. The last time I heard the words gorgeous, beautiful, hot and sexy coming from his mouth that effusively I think we were talking about Shania Twain.

I even like the way the little red Rosso labels on the P Zeros set off the wheel centers and red brakes against the seal gray.

Thanks. We obviously have immpecable taste. LOL...................

PS I was "silvered" out after 3 silver BMWs in a row. I could also happily drive a speed yellow 911. Black would drive this lunatic to distraction. I also really like the mighnight blue but it falls in the black is not for clean freaks category.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:41 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

that is a beautiful car.
love the color and the wheels.
just saw atlas grey for the first time in the flesh this past week at the dealership.
looks even better in person!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome aboard! Funny, I don't miss my M3 that much either.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:44 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher

Thanks. We obviously have immpecable taste. LOL...................
Hear hear! I went from an M3 to a 997 as well, but I sometimes miss the M3 as a street car. I thought the power, grip, and handling made it a benign, easy-to-push street car. The 997's level of performance is so much higher, it's not accessible on the street (at least not the way I drive, which is nonhooliganlike).

I used to think the E46 M3 was the ultimate street car until I drove a friend's Z4 M roadster earlier today. But that's another story.

Congratulations on the 997.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
that is a beautiful car.
love the color and the wheels.
just saw atlas grey for the first time in the flesh this past week at the dealership.
looks even better in person!
Atlas is pretty nice.

Nice car. The Seal Grey is a great color. Your 911 is a league above the M3. Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 PM
esef
Instructor

That is a great looking car. Congratulations.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

I too gave up my M3 for my 05 997 C2 Artic Silver in my case. An you know I don't really miss my M3 that much either...wow it must be catchy! This 997 thing!

Wonderful car. Great color. Enjoy.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:50 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Welcome and congrats!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:18 AM
CJC
Instructor

It is a Beauty !!!! Enjoy
Old 10-29-2006, 02:15 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Congrats on the trade, that is one sweet looking car. I'd find a way to keep the 308, only because you already have it. Then again (as someone mentioned in a previous post) if you can trade the 308 for the BB512, then you have the best of every world.

Welcome to the club.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Nice pics, nice color, nice choice....memories of the m-3 will fade away within minutes of driving the 997S
Old 10-29-2006, 06:32 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations! Coming from an M3 myself, I understand your excitement. I enjoyed the M3 very much over 4 years and I would definitely consider it a sports car. Maybe your experience with a rag-top was different than mine with a coupe. My "no sunroof" stripped-down track-oriented M3 was a monster. Maybe it was the 2-piece floating rotors, OZ wheels with Pilot Sport Cups, lightweight Borla exhaust, etc. that was the difference.

Quick Reply: Crossing over from M-3