Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossing over from M-3

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for all the nice compliments and "welcome to the club" messages. I always liked 911s but never was blown away by the aesthetics till
the 993. Now I think they are as aestheticaly appealing as their driving dynamic appeal.

The wheel color combo looks right to me. However, if I were buying a silver car I might go with the carrera sports for the darker gray wheel color to give some contrast against the silver. Had I ordered a car it would have been a tough call between the seal (or atlas) gray and possibly the midnight blue/sand beige. I think the blue color would have had the sports deisgn wheels but I do not know if I would have paid $600. for wheel spacers had I not seen them FIRST. They make a difference.

I would love to keep the 308 but only if I could keep it at home. When you have to drive to your car to drive it, you don't do it as willingly as just walking out to the garage. My wife has been an absolute angel over 32 years of dealing with my car fetish. As of now her A-6 sits outside while the Carrera and MINI are in our garage. I could not ask for the garage for the P and F cars and have 2 others cars outside. I am consumptive but there is a limit. I also have alot less time to 'play cars" now then I have had over the last 20 years.
I thought we were supposed to have more time as our kids left the nest.

512 BB vs. 308. 512 BBi is like a 308 on steroids. I have driven my friends BOXER and it is a beast but not light on its feet. Unless I could get a 360/430, I'd rather have a Ferrari with Webers. It is the proper way to feed a Ferrari engine and there is a drastic difference in the sound. I can not afford a new Ferrari and I was so lucky with this car I would be afraid to try another used car. Nothing is more expensive than a BAD Ferarri.

For RON CT...I agree. The weight / less stiff nature of the cab likely took the edge off the M-3 as a "sports car". I have driven a number of M-3 coupes and they felt edgier than the cab. However, I think once you get your 997S you will see the gray area between the M and 997 is not as gray as you might think now. The BMWs have plenty of engine but they still are too heavy.
The Porsche also shifts alot better and the brakes are much better. Let me know what you think after you have spent some seat time in the Carrera.
PS..the BMW is more practical too.

Time to open the garage door and take another lusty look at the car.
Definitely E ticket.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrad's to a very nice car. The 997S is heads and shoulders above any E46 M3. I owned 5 M cars in the past. The 997 provides such driving enjoyment second to none. It just keeps getting better and better. The only way I'd get rid of mine is for another one. Lots of luck with your new car, it's beautiful

Last edited by MHC2S; 10-29-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car...I agree on the spacers (subtle but nice). Came from an E46 M3 as well....no regrets
Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 PM
david borla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Congratulations! Coming from an M3 myself, I understand your excitement. I enjoyed the M3 very much over 4 years and I would definitely consider it a sports car. Maybe your experience with a rag-top was different than mine with a coupe. My "no sunroof" stripped-down track-oriented M3 was a monster. Maybe it was the 2-piece floating rotors, OZ wheels with Pilot Sport Cups, lightweight Borla exhaust, etc. that was the difference.

We will have headers and exhaust for the 997 available very soon. I will post pics of the development shortly. Thanks for the kind words
Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Dave,

Had your exhaust on my two E46 M3s as well -- great value.. Hope your Borla will be the best value for the money given the existing competition as was the case with your exhaust for the E46 M3.

Originally Posted by david borla
We will have headers and exhaust for the 997 available very soon. I will post pics of the development shortly. Thanks for the kind words
Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Thumbs up

Many miles of smiles!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spectacular... Welcome aboard!

Quick Reply: Crossing over from M-3