Sponsored by:

PSE Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:23 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE Indicator Light

Just had PSE installed. When PSE is "on", the yellow indicator light on the switch goes on and off. The light goes on when I accelerate and am under 50 mph. I know this is when the exhaust is limiting the sound, but the light blinking on and off is distracting. Is this how they all work or is mine installed incorrectly?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a 996 factory installed PSE and the light is only ever on if you press the button to switch it off
Old 10-25-2006, 05:33 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

When I turn mine off, the light is on all the time. When the exhaust is on, it the light goes on and off. Anyone with a 997 have the same thing happening?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 997 C2
When I turn mine off, the light is on all the time. When the exhaust is on, it the light goes on and off. Anyone with a 997 have the same thing happening?
I don't hink I've ever read a post that talked about an intermittent light. The light is either on all the time or off all the time depending on whether PSE was factory installed or dealer installed and whether it's turned on or not. Sounds like you have a short in the switch area.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Mine does the same thing ( '05 997 S )
When PSE is off, the light is on and turns off when PSE is activated.
At speeds UNDER 50 MPH, if you step on the throttle aggressively, the PSE turns OFF ( goes quiet ) and the light comes on again.
Relax the throttle , PSE opens again and the light goes out .
Above ~ 50 mph PSE stays on and the light is off.

Per Technical Information 5/05
Exhayst system/sports exhaust system( 1 No.XLF ) :

Model year '05 :
Diode lights up in "sport"button when sport exh.system is ACTIVE
Diode lights up in "double tailpipe"button: sport exh. NOT ACTIVE
The diode also turns on/off to indicate position of flaps in exhaust.

Model year '06 :
Diode lights up in "sport" and "double tailpipe" buttons when sports
exhaust is ACTIVE .

Hope this clears it up .
Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

Rolf, you always answer my questions, thanks. Since I don't like the light blinking at me, here's my plan:
1. permanently connect the wires so the exhaust is in quiet mode.
2. remove the switch and go back my old setup with just PSM and spoiler switches (I added PSE and don't have sport chono)
3. Add a "Rolf" switch that cuts power to the solenoid

Walah! I can turn the exhaust on all the time or off all the time. Now the question: Is this possible?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Although I read that the Swiss dictated that the PSE go into the quieter mode between something like 50 and 70 kph, I never notice that sort of thing. It's on when I press the SPORT button (sport chronometer) and the light is on solid. When I punch it off,--the light goes away and the car goes into sonic stealth mode.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Although I read that the Swiss dictated that the PSE go into the quieter mode between something like 50 and 70 kph, I never notice that sort of thing. It's on when I press the SPORT button (sport chronometer) and the light is on solid. When I punch it off,--the light goes away and the car goes into sonic stealth mode.
Ditto on my 06 with Sports Chrono Plus and factory installed PSE. When PSE is on but cuts out at the pre-detemined rpm level for quiet mode, I don't think I've ever seen the light blink off. When PSE is switched on the light is on and when PSE is off, no light, it's off. Dan I can't remember, was your PSE a factory option or dealer installed? If it was a factory option you should be able to hear it go "quiet" at the magic rpm level. On mine the only way to eliminate quiet mode is to disconnect the elctrical swicth (or vacuum line as some others do) and leave PSE on all the time.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Rolf, you always answer my questions, thanks. Since I don't like the light blinking at me, here's my plan:
1. permanently connect the wires so the exhaust is in quiet mode.
2. remove the switch and go back my old setup with just PSM and spoiler switches (I added PSE and don't have sport chono)
3. Add a "Rolf" switch that cuts power to the solenoid

Walah! I can turn the exhaust on all the time or off all the time. Now the question: Is this possible?

As you know, all you need to manually operate the PSE is a 12 V
signal to the Solenoid valve with a "Rolf" switch controlling it .
( I like that. I never had a switch named after me. Should I patent it ? Lol )

I see no reason why your idea should not work, except possibly,if you switch the switches ( that sounds weird ) you may no longer have the 12 V available at the DME in back of the car and your PSE will be on permanent loud.
If so, you will have to find an alternate power source .And I recommend finding a switched one . Otherwise the solenoid may always draw power from the battery , depending on switch position.

But you may want to try this , before doing the switch thingy .
There are two wires ( blue and gray/green ) which go from the PSE switch back to the DME .
Per the installation instructions, the gray/green one is supposed to be for the LED in the switch.
Cut this wire and see what happens.
Take the car for a spin .If the LED stays off and everything else still works , you're in business.

You can get to the wires by either removing the small carpeted trim panel on the passenger side of the center console ( the one with the convenience outlet in it ) or you can pop out the carpet trim piece behind the rear seats and look for the wires coming from the front of the car ( on passenger side)

Oh, one more thing .
(my lawyer told me to add a disclaimer) so here it is:
YOU ARE PROCEEDING AT YOUR OWN RISK.
If the car blows up , or you fry the computer , don't come a bitchin to me.
I don't know from 'NOTIN , and I never said I did. Lol

Good luck and let me know how you made out,
Rolf
Old 10-26-2006, 01:36 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

Thanks Rolf. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: PSE Indicator Light