Sponsored by:

997 Smart Key ADVICE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
billco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Smart Key ADVICE!!!

I was involved with a Smart Key install recently. There is a potential challenge with the installation if you are not careful. Here's how it goes.

Follow the instructions CLOSELY!!! When you reassemble the unit, you must be sure that each of the remaining wires in the small plug assembly, is all the way into the plug (this is the plug you removed the black and yellow wires from,) and that the small plugs are porperly seated back into the larger plug apparatus. Visually check each wire to be sure they are all the way into the back of the "small" plug assembly, and locked (can't be pulled out without pressing the release pin). After doing this and placing the small plugs back into the large plug apparatus, test to be sure that the small plugs themselves are secure in the large plug apparatus. To do this, push each of them with your finger to make sure you can not push them toward the back. If you can push them back, they are not properly seated and will not make a good connection when you put the "big" plug back together. Unfortunately, it is not easy to see if the connection is made since in is inside the "big" plug.

In our case, the airbag connection was not properly made and we got a warning (see your service center) in the screen below the RPM gauge after turning on the key. The idiot light also comes on (how appropriate) and even though you can fix the connection if you don't get it right the first time, you will not be able to turn off the idiot light. We are currently looking for someone to turn the damn thing off, other than the dealer.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I thought it might save some of you some time and perhaps money. I've tried to explain my situation as clearly as I can, but if any of you have specific questions or are confused by my explanation, I'd be happy to talk to you about it. Feel free to e-mail me.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:31 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

When I first installed the Remotekey i didn't dissect the lower yellow/black wire all the way out and in manipulating the module i broke off one of the female plugs on a wire. I later re wired the module and it works great, but, unless I replace the hard to find female plug I cannot return the car to stock.
I don't plan to anyway, the module is great.
I Covered all the leads with shrink wrap so that they don't short out accidentally.
Key out , windows go down one touch, but, not up, one touch. Still a nice feature!
I love chirps, one touch up passenger window, both windows up/down with key, trunk delay and key lightson/off!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:58 AM
928Buyer
Advanced

billco,
I think the instructions are pretty clear that you want to make sure everything is back together securely before turning on the key and powering up the door (or reconnecting the battery if you disconnected). If you get an airbag warning light it is because something is still disconnected, but this is really rare from the install threads I've read. If you get an airbag warning light simply go to your local Porsche dealer and have them put your car on the PIWIS machine and reset the light. They have no way of knowing what tripped the light/error and any such trippings/errors would be covered under your new car warranty and there should be no charge to you. If your Porsche dealer wants to charge you to put your car on the PIWIS go find another Porsche dealer. As an example the canbus lines that go to the seatbelt aparatus have been known to get knocked loose on 997's, Boxsters and Caymans and this will also trip a fault. The simple fix is reconnect the wire and reset the light with the PIWIS machine at the dealer. No one but your Porsche dealer can reset this, the airbags are on their own unique bus system an OBDII reader/reset device will not work, OBDII software on a laptop will not work, it is a PIWIS machine only operation, must be done at Porsche dealership or someone who has paid Porsche $15 grand for a PIWIS of their own.

larrytrk,
BTW my windows are both auto up and auto down are you sure that feature is enabled on your Remote Key? Call mods4cars and ask them about it because it should work both ways.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

This is auto full up/down with key out of the ignition! Mine only go full down (one toiuch) require holding button for up, for both, in that mode. Was told this is normal by Sven.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:45 AM
billco
Instructor

928:
It appears that there are two diffedrent situations with the air bag warning. When I reconnected the wires (after installing smart key) I didn't have the blue wire properly connected; causing the air bag message (at the bottom of the Tachometer gague) to come on. It said something like "See your service representative". This message was displayed in the lower part to the tachometer gauge. I subsiquently reconnected the wires properly and the errror message went away (in the tach,) but the Idiot light (down and to the left of the tach) remains on. Based on your comments, and those from others, I am leaning toward just taking it back to the dealer. My initial desire was to find someone other than the dealer to turn of the idiot light, but I have not found anyone in my area, other than a dealer, who has a PIWIS machine.
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 PM
billco
Instructor

Originally Posted by larrytrk
This is auto full up/down with key out of the ignition! Mine only go full down (one toiuch) require holding button for up, for both, in that mode. Was told this is normal by Sven.
Sorry Larry, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. After the Smart Key install, you should get "one-click up" for the passenger window.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:12 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Let me rephrase: With RemoteKey!
Key in ignition-Full one touch up/down both windows from switches.(Yes passanger full one touch up)
Remove key from ignition(Still sitting in car or just getting in car)- full DOWN-one touch both windows, but for up you must HOLD BUTTON all the way for windows up!(no one touch up!)
Do you notice this also?
Old 10-29-2006, 05:23 PM
billco
Instructor

I just tried mine. Just getting in car, windows don't work at all. Put the key in and turn to on, windows work great, auto up and down. Remove the key windows work auto down but must hold switch all the way up.

Since the windows didn't work at all when I first got in the car (only when I had turned the key on, then back off again) I wonder if it is timed to only work without the key for a limited period of time.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Just went out to the unlocked car, key in pocket. got in Windows work auto down, manual up.
Waited till the interior lights went out. Windows still worked as before.
went out again, no key, windows still worked.
Check your programming of module, windows working with key out is a programable option, I believe
Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by billco
928:
...but I have not found anyone in my area, other than a dealer, who has a PIWIS machine.
Thanks for the input.

And that fix is about a ten minute job at the dealer. Should do it for nothing.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billco
I just tried mine. Just getting in car, windows don't work at all. Put the key in and turn to on, windows work great, auto up and down. Remove the key windows work auto down but must hold switch all the way up.

Since the windows didn't work at all when I first got in the car (only when I had turned the key on, then back off again) I wonder if it is timed to only work without the key for a limited period of time.
Bilco-
Function 3 - Remote and comfort window operation ( OFF / *1 / 2 )
When enabled, locking the car and holding the button on the remote will roll the windows up automatically. Unlocking and holding the button will roll the windows down. You can let go of the button as soon as the windows start moving. Another tap on the button immediately stops the operation. Setting 2 additionally enables the window switches when both doors are closed, even when the ignition is not turned on.
Important: In case the passenger window does not roll up when activating the remote close feature, this function needs to be set to setting 2.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:11 AM
billco
Instructor

I got it. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:10 PM
abregov
Track Day

So how many guys have already installed their remote key? Got mine and want to put it in this weekend, but a little concerned that I may get some warning lites or idiot lites after install. How many guys have had installs so far with no problems or errors?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
mxa4250
Intermediate

I just installed mine last night. no problem at all. followed the instructions word by word... works great!
one comment though: how come the passenger window 1 touch up only works from the driver's side button?

Originally Posted by abregov
So how many guys have already installed their remote key? Got mine and want to put it in this weekend, but a little concerned that I may get some warning lites or idiot lites after install. How many guys have had installs so far with no problems or errors?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

I don't know why the passenger button is not one touch up?
Good point, I didn't notice that before!!

Quick Reply: 997 Smart Key ADVICE!!!