Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has the best potential as a track car? The GT3 RS or a Cayman w/45k in tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Especially in this case; the GT3's race-derived dry-sump motor vs the 987/997 disposable lump.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
A trick Cayman will be near worthless when you trade it in.

An RS will likelly be worth "all the money" when you turn it.
no tricks bring a return, cayman or otherwise.
the question was potential as a track car - not return on investment.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Regarding availability of the GT3 and GT3 RS...I'd wager that at least half of those on the 'waiting lists' are speculators, and that when the cars aren't trading hands for substantially over MSRP they will fall by the way-side, leaving cars on dealers lots and open order slots for those who want them. If I'm wrong, there are always the 2008 models...
how much? btw the gt3rs is coming out as a 2008

Originally Posted by RonCT
Jeff,
I know they are sold out - I was wondering what type of buyer... The hard-core track guys I know were at first interested in the RS, but once the final specifications came out, they said "why bother with a watered down RSA?" The curiosity I have is will it be non-track guys, collectors, etc.? Will the RS ever see the track, what percentage?
i'm seeing both trackers and collectors and i think the percentage that see the track will be high.
but if it stays limited and resale stays strong then the amount of track time . . .
Old 10-20-2006, 03:06 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a poster "Nordschleife" on the GT3 forum, he said the following:

"In case anybody missed it, the most fun car I've driven on the roads recently was a Ruf Cayman with a supercharger, faster than a GT3 and better chassis, a real sports car."

Interesting.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:01 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

A brand new GT3 RS will run approx. $130K. for that kind of money you can get a used GT3 Cup car. Now thats the ultimate track car if that is what you are looking for??
Old 10-20-2006, 07:25 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quantimouse
From a poster "Nordschleife" on the GT3 forum, he said the following:

"In case anybody missed it, the most fun car I've driven on the roads recently was a Ruf Cayman with a supercharger, faster than a GT3 and better chassis, a real sports car."

Interesting.
he get's a commission from alois ruf !

MHC2S cupcar is nice for the track but not street legal if qmouse is looking for a dual purpose or doesnt have a trailer.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:29 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

I'd love a Cayman with a ruf 3.8 Supercharger! With some choice coilovers and sticky tires, it'll be a beast on the track.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:25 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

Porsche Excellence magazine has about 5 pages on Techart's Cayman GT Sport makeover. They eschewed supercharger and just rebuilt the engine into a 3.8 for 385bhp, and 200lbs lighter than a 997 C2S.. Interesting...
Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Especially in this case; the GT3's race-derived dry-sump motor vs the 987/997 disposable lump.
Doesn't the X51 option have a different oil pick up system than the non X51 997 and it is similar to a dry sump ?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:12 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

clubrcr, I think it's just a different oil pan.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:37 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I'll do a search, but I thought I read that the pick up was the same one as the GT3 Cup. I could be wrong, but I will look around to try to find it.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:24 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

x-51 is still an integrated dry sump...has some baffling internally that supposedly helps the starvation problems...we'll see, but I think the oil starvation thing may be a little bit of an urban myth anyways...We see many,many 996's and Boxsters at the tracks here and I personally have not heard of one instance of a cooked motor...Early in their introduction some did have cylinder liner problems however.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

jim, X51 is NOT true dry sump, it does't have external oil tank like GT3.

however, i SERIOULSY doubt you will get starvation if you are on DOT-R's. if you are on slicks... well then you really should have a cup car of some sort ;-)

i am well aware of just about every cayman tuner out there doing large motor. but until they put 100k of hard hard miles on it, i just dont trust any of them to part with my money.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:45 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
clubrcr, I think it's just a different oil pan.
Nope, it's an oil pan with aluminum baffles, a dual stage scavenge pump and additional pickup tube. Actually very close to a dry sump...less the sump of course.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:45 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by fafnir
btw, the 9ff 4.1L 430hp motor for the cayman runs $42k

moton clubsport's coilovers run $4k

a clutch-type lsd runs another $3k

and then supercharging all that runs another 10-25k, depending on compression ratio

new custom rims in 19x9 F and 19x11R costs 8k

and pilot sport cup tires run another 2? (not sure on this one)

with the 4.1L 9ff dry sump, you'll destroy all gt3's, X50's, X51's, and turbo's you'll find by weight/HP and with the coilovers you should be able to match both the gt3's in handling (with tires though, wider rims/tires will help)

and get TRG to make you some custom swaybars for another 3k

if you're still feeling insecure, go waste a good 10k and buy a VIN allocation from 9ff to improve resale

and the cayman does not come with a sunroof

you should look into forced fed lotus exige's for $90K if all you're going to do is to track your car

their >450hp exige should destroy any and all GT3's and RS's, takes a GT2 to match or come close to that one

and go widebody from that eval-something company to dump 365 rear tires and rims on the exige and 305 fronts for another 9k and it should grip and do lateral g's like no one else

and if that weren't bad enough, do an engine swap from forced fed from something not meant to be there like an ls7 or something else repulsive and yeah, it'll be unbeatable

yeah, maybe with 6 months of custom fabwork and another 100k

and be prepared to run race fuel only

_
Why would you pay for the 9ff 480hp engine and then you have supercharging on top of that?

Not making sense to me.

Anyway, I guess the answer is yes, the Cayman S would be better on the track with the right mods, question is can they come in at the same price as the GT3 RS.

Sunroof? Why do I need that?

Lotus? Not a very comfortable street car. Trying to imagine something more street friendly and pretty.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:50 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
Early in their introduction some did have cylinder liner problems however.
The early 996 cup cars had problems with sand getting into the water pumps and destroying the impeller. It seems that when they were sand blasting the areas were coolant traveled, Porsche didn't get all the sand out. That was straight from Porsche Motorsport and I think was corrected after the 24 hours of Daytona, when they first were introduced.

I did hear about a couple of regular 996s in the beginning with motor issues, but nothing major. I would be shocked if they had major problems since the 996 used 964 case.

Originally Posted by DJ 996
Nope, it's an oil pan with aluminum baffles, a dual stage scavenge pump and additional pickup tube. Actually very close to a dry sump...less the sump of course.
Thanks, that is exactly what I read.

Quick Reply: What has the best potential as a track car? The GT3 RS or a Cayman w/45k in tuning?