Sponsored by:

Anyone seen the video on Fabspeed on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:27 AM
MCoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone seen the video on Fabspeed on

their CAI (Intake)? I never realized that the hose was Y shaped and that there was a valve (I am not quite sure what it does still)...Cannot believe never jumped to my eyes!

Does this valve serve any other purpose that just for noise? And how can the they increase airflow by 25% with a simple hose that replaces the OEM one. Not other part!! Same Air Filter too...Btw I found the car to sound exactly the same as stock at the end of the video.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

it's a resonator that takes some of the intake growl noise away. The 997 already has a cold air intake and you will not feel any performance difference between stock or aftermarket. Just go to Home Depot and get a 3" black curved rubber plumbing hose and a 1.5" rubber cap and you can have the same thing...for only $10. Or if you want the stock look just put the y'd hose to the air box over the rubber cap off on the air box and hose clamp it all down.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
rbjbbb
Instructor

M,
I put the Fabspeed (pipe - not the air box replacement) on my 996 and did notice a difference. As I ramp up from 2k to 5k rpms, I feel it is smoother rev'ing than with the oem pipe (same air filter as I already had a K&N drop in). The sound actually got slightly quieter, which had gone up some after the K&N drop in. I think due to the thickness of the silicone pipe vs. eom. The 25% they claim is because the 'intake muffler' (part on the inside where the 'y' is hooked) is completely removed and thus gives more capacity to your air box. Not sure that translates to more air entering the intake though?
I agree, the $200 I paid was not worth it when the same basic setup can be had for $10 or $15. The red silicone looks good though.

Not sure you would see the same impact on the 997. I have the 3.4l and Tip.

ps - I have since gone back to a stock filter due to MAF and oiled filter scares. Performance did not seem to vary after that change although the intake is quieter with the stock filter.
RB
Old 10-19-2006, 11:52 AM
MCoupe
Instructor

Thanks gents. Exactly my thoughts!

I watched the video out of curiosity and I was asking myself why pay so much when you could litterally do the same on your own for about $15. Tuners never stop to amaze me! I think I am in the wrong biz!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:43 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one and had it on my car for less than 2 weeks. Personally like the sound of the stock Y tube better. Was going to put it on ebay....will sell it for $125. PM me if you want it.

Quick Reply: Anyone seen the video on Fabspeed on