Test drove C2S w/ X51...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:07 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove C2S w/ X51...

Well I have been debating if I made the right decison between the C4S I have on order (Oct build for Nov dlv) or possibly go for a C2S w/ X51 for the extra HP. I've been driving a 97 993 Cab for the past 4 summers and decided I wanted a hard-top and few more hp and I like the improvements to the interior and chassis of the 997. Well, a dealer here in CT who I didn't order from called to let me know he just got in a black C2S heavily optioned X51 and asked if I wanted to test drive it. I couldn't pass up the opportunity and last weekend was able to go for a solid 20min drive on both the highway and twisty backroads. I have to say I personally did not notice any increase in the power in terms of acceleration although I do think I felt the difference in throttle mapping. The car felt as thought sport chrono was on all the time compared to the C4S w/out X51 in terms of pedal effort and revs. In fact I was unable to notice a difference in the X51 car when I engaged the sports chrono function in terms of throttle response vs when it was off. The sport mode for the suspension was a very noticable difference in terms of firmness and slightly better connection to the road w/less of a floaty feel that anyone who has driven a stock 2 wheel drive 911 is familar with especially on the highway at speed. I was reluctant to push the car initially as I am well aware of the break-in procedure but the salesman encouraged me to go right upto the redline which I eventually did more than a few times. I suspect the fact he knew I had ordered a car from another dealer was part of the reason he wanted me to get the full experience out of the test ride but I wouldn't want to be the eventual buyer of this car especially if there were a few more "test" rides after mine. Anyway, my point here was to say that for me I did not feel a noticable difference in the "butt dyno" whatsoever for the extra $17k. I am not planning to track my car anytime soon as I have a 4mo baby at home but if I noticed an big improvement in power I was planning on trying to get the dealer to close the gap between the cost of the X51 C2S and my ordered C4S. My car msrp was 108k minus 4k discount or $104k, the X51 C2S was $117k and back at the dealer after I told them I needed a big discount they offered it to me for $112k. For me it was not even a close call...I am happily waiting for my C4S with more personal options in Slate Grey for 8k less than the X51 car. I am sure some people who have this option will knock this post as BS but that was not my intention at all. I just do not think there is enough extra kick in the X51 to warrant the $17k cost. I plan on keeping my car for many years and "job" willing 2 or 3 yrs down the road I would much rather spend aprox 25k to have Ruf install their very highly regarded supercharger which adds a very noticable 80-100hp than pay now for the factory option.
I hope there is some value here for anyone who was on the fence as I was in terms of going for the X51 vs std S car.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the write up. I've always wondered about the X51.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:34 AM
devon7
Advanced

From what I understand - all the extra kick in the X51 package is right at the top end so it would be hard to get the benefit anywhere but the track. Thanks for the review.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

When I ordered my C2S and was thinking of the X51 package, dealer talked me out of it as the cost was high, little gain and more options that I really wanted to add prior to X51 now could be done. So I did not get the X51.

But I did get PCCB's Aerokit, PSE, Sport Wheel, Sport Shift, etc etc.

Besides, Farnbacher-loles is very close to my dealer at is is, so any real HP gains I can always go there.

I'd love to have the X51, but at $17K for 26HP gain didn't fit well with me. Sure, it's a sweeter engine (heads,intake,cam etc) and all under warranty.

Order what you really want, then add the "would be even nicer with this" option later. I did all that on Porsche website doing my car and adding items.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny that. I arranged a blindtest for my friend who was contemplating the X51 option in his car vs a plan Cs. We have another friend with a C2s sansX51 but with the PSE. I told him drive both and see what he thought. He couldn't really tell the difference. He's an experienced driver with a few track events under his belt and has done skip barber courses.
I personnally did a "blindtest" by telling the dealer NOT to tell me which car had X51 and which didn't. Other than a slight urge at around 3500rpm, the X51 wasn't prevalent. It is noticeable punching pass a normal CS, but just overtly significantly so.
Do I regret the X51? Not at all. Would I miss it? On a track, yes but on streets (without drag races) probably not.
Good luck with your choice.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:03 PM
golfman
Instructor

After reading these posts it is becoming clearer that the mods we all speak of(exhaust, intake, tuning) might actually have an effect on the car. Most people say they don't. If you can't feel the difference with the x51 package because all the power is made in the top of the rpm range then what is to say the mods aren't doing the same thing. I know from doing these type of mods on corvettes that they do make additional hp at the top of the rpm range. They are not really felt but they do make a differnce in the 1/4 mile times of the car. We will not know til someone does a before and after 1/4 mile run in there 997s.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:22 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

golfman - lets get together..i have intake, flash and headers..lets see if i can pull away from u???
Old 10-07-2006, 10:20 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i was just checking prices on dropping a 3.8 x51 in my new cayman s.
the first price i got was 21k for a brand new porsche 3.8 x51 including installation, and they keep your original cayman engine.
so for 84k you get a mid-eng 3.8 x51 porsche cayman w/ 380-400hp
and it's lighter than a 997.
course no rear seats.
that ain't bad!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 8K on my car and there was a distinct change, for the better, once I passed 5K. Is it worth 17K?.....Are PCCB's worth 8K more?

I am enjoying my X-51. If a C4S is your choice, enjoy.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:00 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 997S with the X51. I came out of a 996tt and have been very impressed with the power. I know that most people feel the X51 package is expensive an not worth it, but I feel differently. Although I agree you can take your car to a tuner and they can do many things and possibly gain more bph for less money, which might make you think the X51 is not a bargain, but...Porsche has a way of engineering a motor for maximum bhp for the long term. I found this out the hard way. I raced for many years and found a huge difference in the Porsche factory prepared cars I raced and the street cars I converted. I am Porsche could have gained more bhp and torque with the additional equipment on the X51, but they wanted a motor that would last.

Bottom line, there is a difference, is it worth the money? I am sure that is why they sell more cars without the option. I would be happy to put my car up against any non X51 anytime.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

X-51 really kicks from 4500 upward - much more once the engine is broken in...

As for the handling of the C2S verses the C4S - you were in dry conditions and thought the C2S was "Floaty"?

Either the car you drove had issues or something else...

We all make our choices and as long as we are happy with the decesion. C2S with X-51 driven hard in dry weather - CAN NOT BE BEAT!!!!

You gonna drive hard in the wet (DRIVE HARD IN THE RAIN) then go for a C4S - either way X-51 is great mod...

I'll take my Cayenne out in the "white stuff"...
Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm with you clubrcr, this is my second X51 (and 19th Porsche), and it is definitely worth the extra money (along with the PCCB). Subtlies are often lost (think of everything you miss when you have cotton mouth on the track) and therefore not appreciated. But to each his own.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:39 AM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by robbonds
golfman - lets get together..i have intake, flash and headers..lets see if i can pull away from u???
Go Gators!!!!!!

Sounds good. Maybe even hit the drags at bradenton on a thursday. They do a run what you brung night if you don't mind abusing the cars a little. lol

I do have to get over two thousand miles before I start dropping the clutch.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I have a 997S with the X51. I came out of a 996tt and have been very impressed with the power. I know that most people feel the X51 package is expensive an not worth it, but I feel differently. Although I agree you can take your car to a tuner and they can do many things and possibly gain more bph for less money, which might make you think the X51 is not a bargain, but...Porsche has a way of engineering a motor for maximum bhp for the long term. I found this out the hard way. I raced for many years and found a huge difference in the Porsche factory prepared cars I raced and the street cars I converted. I am Porsche could have gained more bhp and torque with the additional equipment on the X51, but they wanted a motor that would last.

Bottom line, there is a difference, is it worth the money? I am sure that is why they sell more cars without the option. I would be happy to put my car up against any non X51 anytime.
i totally agree, and that's why i am very very reluctant to put anything on my car that's not oem, no chip, no aftermarket filter....... just some moton's and that's it.

reliability and durability is most important. if my car breaks down while i am on track having fun, you will see fire/smoke coming out of my eyes, ears, nose and mouth.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
i was just checking prices on dropping a 3.8 x51 in my new cayman s.
the first price i got was 21k for a brand new porsche 3.8 x51 including installation, and they keep your original cayman engine.
so for 84k you get a mid-eng 3.8 x51 porsche cayman w/ 380-400hp
and it's lighter than a 997.
course no rear seats.
that ain't bad!
really, who's doing the work?
that's the cheapest i have heard.
btw, you HAVE to have new stronger clutch and 3rd radiator to run X51. the ecu needs to be reprogrammed. i believe the header is different too. does your price inc all these?

farnbacher and ruf's prices inc the above, but they are around 30-40k.

Quick Reply: Test drove C2S w/ X51...