Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
really, who's doing the work?
that's the cheapest i have heard.
btw, you HAVE to have new stronger clutch and 3rd radiator to run X51. the ecu needs to be reprogrammed. i believe the header is different too. does your price inc all these?

farnbacher and ruf's prices inc the above, but they are around 30-40k.
hey moot man!
yeah, i kinda left some stuff out didnt i?
made it sound more impressive that way
probably would end up about 35k like farnbacher-loles.
then of course having added that much hp i would want to do the suspension, wheels, brakes, short shift, and lsd.
then i'm about back to the price of a 997gt3
also about 15k more than a '07 997s x51 cpe my dealer just got in
i might break my record for shortest time of ownership.
swap for the x51 cpe monday and i only owned a cayman four days
Old 10-08-2006, 11:10 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon

That's exactly the problem with the cayman conversions. You'll take a beating on resale compared to a GT3 as well.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

yes, i know that.
that's why i haven't done much to my croc.

i might break my record for shortest time of ownership.
swap for the x51 cpe monday and i only owned a cayman four days

that would break my record too. i had 987s for five days.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:56 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
That's exactly the problem with the cayman conversions. You'll take a beating on resale compared to a GT3 as well.
resale??
reselling what? you'll probably get more if you donated it for tax benefit.

how's the obnoxious red head you are riding/driving now days!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:43 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why buy the X-51, for a few dollars more you can have 997TT, or for less dollars the GT3, either of which will blow any X-51 into the weeds!

This is just another example of people being taken in by Porsche marketing hype and springing for an overpriced, testosterone fed, option, which has become obsolete with the new 997 variants.

How much value do you think the X-51 will bring you in the resale market?

Besides, how many people can regularly take their Pcar, of any type into the upper end of the rev range, without facing driving bans for life?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:36 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
Why buy the X-51, for a few dollars more you can have 997TT, or for less dollars the GT3, either of which will blow any X-51 into the weeds!

This is just another example of people being taken in by Porsche marketing hype and springing for an overpriced, testosterone fed, option, which has become obsolete with the new 997 variants.

Besides, how many people can regularly take their Pcar, of any type into the upper end of the rev range, without facing driving bans for life?
i think 997TT is 20k more than x51 if not more.

997GT3, i dont know about other states, in CA, if you are'nt on the list now and you dont have the right connections, you will not be getting a GT3 new, sad but true.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:27 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can give you two reasons not to buy a TT over the X51 package...GT2 (if you want turbo), AWD.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Some of us enjoy our Porsches on racetracks.

I'm considering all three to replace my base 997 in the next year or two. As much as I love the idea of the GT3, with PASM/sunroof/etc. I'm not as excited about it; I could deal with the extrovert body kit on a seriously focused street-legal track car, but the GT3 will no longer be one (plenty will come with navigation and other luxury options now available). The Turbo is very heavy, has AWD, and more stuff than I want on a Porsche.

So right now, the 997S X51 is what I'd get. It's less expensive than the GT3, can be easily used as a daily driver, and still extremely enteraining on the track.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Some of us enjoy our Porsches on racetracks.

I'm considering all three to replace my base 997 in the next year or two. As much as I love the idea of the GT3, with PASM/sunroof/etc. I'm not as excited about it; I could deal with the extrovert body kit on a seriously focused street-legal track car, but the GT3 will no longer be one (plenty will come with navigation and other luxury options now available). The Turbo is very heavy, has AWD, and more stuff than I want on a Porsche.

So right now, the 997S X51 is what I'd get. It's less expensive than the GT3, can be easily used as a daily driver, and still extremely enteraining on the track.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Perfect timing! My X51 review, too...

I replaced my 16,000 mile C2S with a C4S sporting the X51 options since 7/31/06. During the time I've owned it I had not driven it below 4500 feet in altitude as I live in the Sierras. It was broken in the moment I drove it off the lot, I say, and I wailed on it since day one. In that time, I'm now at 3500 miles, it hasn't dropped a SINGLE mark on the OIL gauge.

From day one I noticed a strong difference over the C2S up around 5005 - 6000 RPM. But that is nothing compared to what happened over the last weekend.

I drove it to the Oakland A's game at sea level and the CAR JUST EXPLODES forward. From a dead stop, from a rolling start, and most especially up around 4000 RPM at oh, say, 85 MPH. Just double shift it back into the next lower gear, match revs, and then nail it.

I can not, I repeat... I CAN NOT... believe how fast this C4S w/ X51 is.

At sea level, with a broken in motor, it is without a doubt a super car.

Driving her back down tomorrow for the A's v. the Tigers in ALCS GAME ONE!!

Go A's!!

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read the post about not feeling a difference with and without X-51.

It interests me because in terms of acceleration, i really can't feel a difference between my C2S and my 2003 996 Targa. In fact, at a recent track day, the new owner of my Targa and I pulled onto the straightaway at roughly the same time. This particular track has the longest straightaway on any track in Canada - so it's a considerable distance. I thought I would pull away from him for sure, but we were dead even. I could definitely pull away from Boxsters that were on the track, but not my old 996.

Seems to me that the difference between the C2 and the C2S may be as imperceptible as the difference between X-51 and no X-51.

Which would mean that the real buys are the C2, and the GT3.

-B
Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Bullet...to add to that, I was at the track last weekend and couldn't reel in a stock Cayman S on the straights with my 997.

Most people don't realize that tenths of seconds are hardly perceptible in the real world and by 'seat of the pants'.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:27 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow, I guess all those people buying Turbo "S"s are just buying into the Porsche marketing hype as well.

I priced out a 997 GT3 and a Carrera S X51, please tell me how I can get a GT3 for less money?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
how's the obnoxious red head you are riding/driving now days!
Cool car. I'm now relegated to the ugly date when I drive that thing around town. heh.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
Cool car. I'm now relegated to the ugly date when I drive that thing around town. heh.
man, i envy you crazy nut!
i dont mind being quasimoto if i can tool around in a scuderia machine.

Quick Reply: Test drove C2S w/ X51...