Sponsored by:

Group Buy - 997 Remote Key!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 03:38 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by billco
Hay everyone.....Please read my post of a couple day ago. It could possible save you a lot of trouble. I still can't find anyone in Central California (other than a dealer) who can turn off the air bag light. Just check it out before you start the install.
Bill, can you please be more specific about your post. Maybe include a link? I don't really know what your talking about the air bag light..
(although my airbag light is on right now because of a dead battery)

Thanks.
B
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Double click his name on his last post then

go to his posts and you will find it.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default or just search this - 997 Smart Key ADVICE!!!

eom
Old 10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
billco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dndodd: Thanks!!
B-Line: If it still doesn't make sense after reading my post, let me know. But, simply stated, make very sure all conncetions are made securely before turning on power.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:33 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just rec'd mine today....Please post witrh your install tips!!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Uncle Bob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by B-Line
Bill, can you please be more specific about your post. Maybe include a link? I don't really know what your talking about the air bag light..
(although my airbag light is on right now because of a dead battery)

Thanks.
B
Here is the post: 997 Smart Key ADVICE!!!
Follow the instructions CLOSELY!!! When you reassemble the unit, you must be sure that each of the remaining wires in the small plug assembly, is all the way into the plug (this is the plug you removed the black and yellow wires from,) and that the small plugs are porperly seated back into the larger plug apparatus. Visually check each wire to be sure they are all the way into the back of the "small" plug assembly, and locked (can't be pulled out without pressing the release pin). After doing this and placing the small plugs back into the large plug apparatus, test to be sure that the small plugs themselves are secure in the large plug apparatus. To do this, push each of them with your finger to make sure you can not push them toward the back. If you can push them back, they are not properly seated and will not make a good connection when you put the "big" plug back together. Unfortunately, it is not easy to see if the connection is made since in is inside the "big" plug.
In our case, the airbag connection was not properly made and we got a warning (see your service center) in the screen below the RPM gauge after turning on the key. The idiot light also comes on (how appropriate) and even though you can fix the connection if you don't get it right the first time, you will not be able to turn off the idiot light. We are currently looking for someone to turn the damn thing off, other than the dealer.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:45 AM
spar10
Instructor

hey guys - is this for the smarttop?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:54 AM
928Buyer
Advanced

I think the instructions are pretty clear that you want to make sure everything is back together securely before turning on the key and powering up the door (or reconnecting the battery if you disconnected). If you get an airbag warning light it is because something is still disconnected, but this is really rare from the install threads I've read. If you get an airbag warning light simply go to your local Porsche dealer and have them put your car on the PIWIS machine and reset the light. They have no way of knowing what tripped the light/error and any such trippings/errors would be covered under your new car warranty and there should be no charge to you. If your Porsche dealer wants to charge you to put your car on the PIWIS go find another Porsche dealer. As an example the canbus lines that go to the seatbelt aparatus have been known to get knocked loose on 997's, Boxsters and Caymans and this will also trip a fault. The simple fix is reconnect the wire and reset the light with the PIWIS machine at the dealer. No one but your Porsche dealer can reset this, the airbags are on their own unique bus system an OBDII reader/reset device will not work, OBDII software on a laptop will not work, it is a PIWIS machine only operation, must be done at Porsche dealership or someone who has paid Porsche $15 grand for a PIWIS of their own.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 AM
billco
Instructor

Spar: No, this is for the Smart Key.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 PM
928Buyer
Advanced

As an FYI Mods4Cars gave us all the 50 order discount rate but actually only 47 people have ordered. Here are the stragglers:

We are still waiting for these guys:

11) 2k7997tt
18) Trophymaker
25) German88
35) Msp119
42) Jonathanwarren

If you see one of these members around or posting somewhere see if you can point them over to the group buy and ask them to either purchase or state that they are backing out.

Much appreciated!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 PM
928Buyer
Advanced

BTW I have PM'd all 5 of those people again. I tried to email each of the 5 and none of them accept email from other members here. I also tracked down 2 of them to other threads and posted messages to them in other threads. I also noted that all of them have visited Rennlist recently from their profiles. I asked each either to order or let me know they were backing out, but not replying at all isn't too cool in my book.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:40 PM
dyi
8th Gear

I had an install question: The yellow and black wire ends do not completely insert into the terminal block. This results in a few mm of bare metal exposed for each wire. Did any of you guys use electrical tape or shrink tubing to cover this? Seems like after some jostling around it could potentially short.

Otherwise my only install tip would be to make sure you place the wire taps in a good location that will allow the ground and the (+) wires to reach the final location of the remote key unit. This may not be as obvious after the wires are displaced from their native locations.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

See my previous post!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:36 AM
billco
Instructor

I used a little electrical tape on mine.

Mine worked well with the original plug mechanism tucked in on the right of the fuse box and the "smart key" unit at the upper left of the fuse box.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:59 PM
CJC
Instructor

OK it's installed. It took about an hour. The only problem I'm having is programing it I've read the manual
but I'm clueless. Anybody out there that can guide me through the programing ??
Thanks Craig

Quick Reply: Group Buy - 997 Remote Key!!!