Sponsored by:

Maybe getting my first Porsche tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:42 PM
esef
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Maybe getting my first Porsche tomorrow

OK...after researching, reading every thread on this 997 board and talking and emailing countless dealers, I may be buying my first Porsche this Saturday.

Its a 2006 Basalt Black C4 Cabriolet with the following options:
Bose Stereo
Wheel cap
Heated seats with full leather
Tiptronic
Bi-Xenon
Power seat
Self Dimming mirrors

Its doesn't have the perfect package I want but it certainly has what I can live with (Not 100% sure since this is my first Porsche). I'm getting about 11% off MSRP but it does have about 250 miles on it. They said the owner drove it for a while.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats, I hope it works out for you. Are you SURE you want to get a car with a TIP? There were some recent threads about the Tiptronic and some posters did not like the "sluggishness" of the car and attributed it to the TIP.

I would recommend you drive a TIP and a 6 speed, just so you know the difference on how the cars drive. After the test-drives, you may still opt for the TIP, but at least you will be making an "informed" decision. You may have already done the test drives and have made your decision based upon first hand knowledge. If that is the case, go for it!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM
esef
Instructor

The Tip is a something I MUST have due to my wife wanting to drive the car. It was the condition of the purchase. I currently have the E 39 M5 and I'm sure I will miss the manual, but teaching my wife to drive a stick is NOT an option. She just is not coordinated enogh for me to trust her driving the Porsche in a stick. Even if she curently knew how to drive a stick or even if I taught her in a cheap used car I know it would be a matter of time before she has one of those "oh oh" moments. I have funny stories I could tell but she would kill me if she found out.

Even though the 911 has been a dream car for me, in the end it is still just a car and not enough for me to deprive my wife of being able to drive such an awsome car. In the future I hope to get the Turbo...maybe in a few years.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:15 PM
erv
Advanced

I agree with Tim, especially since you are looking to buy the heaviest 911. The "sluggishness" will be most pronounced. Whatever you decide, Enjoy.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 PM
The B
Racer

Congratulations on your decision!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by esef
OK...after researching, reading every thread on this 997 board and talking and emailing countless dealers, I may be buying my first Porsche this Saturday.

Its a 2006 Basalt Black C4 Cabriolet with the following options:
Bose Stereo
Wheel cap
Heated seats with full leather
Tiptronic
Bi-Xenon
Power seat
Self Dimming mirrors

Its doesn't have the perfect package I want but it certainly has what I can live with (Not 100% sure since this is my first Porsche). I'm getting about 11% off MSRP but it does have about 250 miles on it. They said the owner drove it for a while.
The owner sold the car after 250 miles? I would dig deeper on that. By the way, if this is your first Porsche you really should get everything you want and don't worry too much about 11% or 5% discount.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
The owner sold the car after 250 miles? I would dig deeper on that. By the way, if this is your first Porsche you really should get everything you want and don't worry too much about 11% or 5% discount.

thats pretty normal to see really lots of people buy them when thery are the newest latest and greatest but then trade them in on the next big thing 2 weeks later

and theres nothign wrong with the tip. if you drive it lazy it will shift lazy if you dirve it like a sports car it will shift like a sports car
Old 09-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Buy the wife a tiptronic Boxster and get yourself a 6 speed 911
problem solved
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Arnzo
Intermediate

"Owner" as in owner of the dealership or the car was titled and you will be the second owner?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

I agree with Vancouver83.
For a little more $$ or maybe less (take the 11%-15% discounts I've seen on the board recently) and get the wife a CPO 05 Boxster tip to drive and keep the 6-speed for yourself. I understand wanting to share the car with her and that's great and all but IF she is only a seldom driver/user then you're spending alot of $$$ in my opinion to satisfy her infrequent drives. Just my 2 cents. Then again my wife already knew how to drive a stick when I met her...but she stays outta my porsche for some reason most of the time. Says it's just too fast for her for the most part.

Anyway enjoy whatever you purchase...and post pics.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I agree with Vancouver83.
For a little more $$ or maybe less (take the 11%-15% discounts I've seen on the board recently) and get the wife a CPO 05 Boxster tip to drive and keep the 6-speed for yourself. I understand wanting to share the car with her and that's great and all but IF she is only a seldom driver/user then you're spending alot of $$$ in my opinion to satisfy her infrequent drives. Just my 2 cents. Then again my wife already knew how to drive a stick when I met her...but she stays outta my porsche for some reason most of the time. Says it's just too fast for her for the most part.

Anyway enjoy whatever you purchase...and post pics.

Exactly
Of course, spending other people's money for them is quite easy
Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 PM

There is another unspoken positive about buying a second hand car that is tip, no worries about clutch abuse, grinding and or missing a gear(s)
Old 09-29-2006, 11:14 PM
esef
Instructor

I'm sorry guys, I should have been more clear, "owner" is the owner of the dealership. The car has never been titled and is considered new. I would like to know who is getting 15% discount, I'm not getting anything close to that on 06s and the 07s are already here.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I know of 3 or 4 guys on the 996 Forum that got their first P-car in the last year and bought a TIP so their wife could drive it. One guy's wife drive it 3 times in 3 months and decided she didn't like to drive it so now he is stuck with a TIP he really didn't want. Unfortunately, I have seen this scenario play out all too often. FYI.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 PM
esef
Instructor

All good suggestions and some I would be able to do if I had a bigger garage but with 3 little children, we need to keep the minivan around a little longer and with two cars and a motorcycle, no room for a Boxter.

Quick Reply: Maybe getting my first Porsche tomorrow