Sponsored by:

Maybe getting my first Porsche tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnzo
"Owner" as in owner of the dealership or the car was titled and you will be the second owner?
Very good point! If it was titled, it's used car and you have even more room to knock off a whole lot more.

If you're not in any rush, do the right thing and take your time, look around and find the options you really want. Go to the Porsche website and build your new 997. Then, go back to a dealer and see if any are in the country on the ground/port or dealership elsewhere. If not, and can wait... spec it to what YOU want.

Don't pull the trigger just because dealership is trying to unload this 250 mile car. The new models and allocations are being done at this time and most dealers want to get as much out of stock so they can also get more allocations for spec cars, special cars etc.

Good luck and make the right choice for YOU!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-30-2006, 02:33 AM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
I know of 3 or 4 guys on the 996 Forum that got their first P-car in the last year and bought a TIP so their wife could drive it. One guy's wife drive it 3 times in 3 months and decided she didn't like to drive it so now he is stuck with a TIP he really didn't want. Unfortunately, I have seen this scenario play out all too often. FYI.

Funny, I actually committed to a tip for similar reason... and even put down a deposit... then the night before I went to drive it home my wife said that if we keep my old car (E500) so she can drive it and our nanny could drive her yukon some days to take our son around than she would be thrilled... so I pulled the deal and bought my stick C2. I couldn't be happier. Don't rush on this one. If she REALLY wants to drive the porsche than she should REALLY learn stick or drive a different car.

However, if YOU want a Tip for your own reasons than get it. just don't blame it on the wife.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by esef
All good suggestions and some I would be able to do if I had a bigger garage but with 3 little children, we need to keep the minivan around a little longer and with two cars and a motorcycle, no room for a Boxter.
Get a Cayenne S too. You can get a full decked out one for less then a 997.
There is nothing like having the full spectrum of Porsche's in your garage.

The Tip is fine. I love mine except for a few quirks. If you talk to the people that actually have them, they love them. Compared to automatics ( like MB AMG's) in other German cars, they win hands down.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

yeah that's a thought, get an S with an auto.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by 500
There is another unspoken positive about buying a second hand car that is tip, no worries about clutch abuse, grinding and or missing a gear(s)
ouch
Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife doesn't drive a 6 speed. But she would never prevent me from getting a manual. We are in a similar situation as you: 3 young kids and the other car is a family SUV. My wife is happy knowing that I am in shifting bliss and she does not want to deprive me of that pleasure.

Even when I had my E55 and Cayenne S, she rarely drove them.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 PM
esef
Instructor

I picked up my C4 Tip yesterday. I started another thread. I may miss the manual, but I also like the Tip. I told her that this was her Porsche and that I was going to get a manual later for myself. She was good with that.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by esef
I picked up my C4 Tip yesterday. I started another thread. I may miss the manual, but I also like the Tip. I told her that this was her Porsche and that I was going to get a manual later for myself. She was good with that.

Nice! Lets see it

Quick Reply: Maybe getting my first Porsche tomorrow