Rear-ended! #@!!#@$%!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Rear-ended! #@!!#@$%!!!!!

Well, made it 5 months with my new p-car. Was hit from behind this evening.

Traffic on I-80 was stopped (rush hour), I stopped, but the Chrysler 300 behind me didn’t. In my rearview mirror I saw him reaching over to retrieve something from the passenger floorboard. When he looked up I could tell by the “Oh S#*T” look on his face he was going to hit me.

My wife was impressed I maintained my composure as well as I did. The guy in the 300 seems to have taken it worse than me. Of course he was very apologetic. One of his first comments after apologizing several times was “I’ve been driving 8 years and have never had an accident, but then I pick a Porsche.”

Fortunately everyone is okay. As for the car, the bumper, specifically the guards on either side of the tag, seems to have taken almost all of the impact. Right rear light assembly was broken and the new Fabspeed tips (and at least the right muffler) appears to be damaged. Doesn’t look like any damage to fender wells or rear deck area.

Guess now I’ll have to spend time with insurance companies, estimates, awaiting parts, and then the repair. Any recommendations for Porsche body shops in Morris County, NJ?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry to hear this . . . Hope the car is ok.

Your story seems somewhat similar to this . . . https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/298045-help-hit-from-behind.html
Old 09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

And also similar to this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=hit

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

I'm glad to hear you are ok, and that you kept your cool. I unfortunately really didn't. It is a sickening feeling when you stand there looking at your previously perfect car that has just been hit. I taught my daughter the effective use of the word motherf&*$er spoken directly to the person who just hit your car.

It has been six weeks, and I don't have my car back yet. It is supposed to be finished tomorrow, but then it was supposed to be finished tomorrow last week also.

Hope all goes well. I'm filing a diminished value claim next week. PM me next week if you want to hear how it goes.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, Tedder - that's my worst fear. People are total idiots on the road. My rule is, if I drop something when I'm driving, it stays on the floor until I get to my destination (or pull over in a parking lot)... wish the 300 driver had had the same rule. Awwww, this sucks. You're much more composed than I would be at this point.

I hope that things come out fine. Make SURE you have a Porsche tech check out the engine and heads; if the force of the impact damaged the exhaust system, don't sign anything until you get an inspection! One of our cohorts here (or maybe Rennteam? he was from the UK...) had cracked cylinder heads from a rear impact. You don't want to have to deal with an issue like that going unnoticed until AFTER you accept his insurance company's reimbursement.

Sorry, dude. This really bums me out. Glad that you and your wife are OK. The P-car will be back in fine shape soon...

-don
Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Teddy, glad to hear you and your wife are OK...the car can be fixed.

As a new P-Car owner I seem to notice that people seem to tailgate me more in my P-car than my other auto's. Anyone notice this?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
Teddy, glad to hear you and your wife are OK...the car can be fixed.

As a new P-Car owner I seem to notice that people seem to tailgate me more in my P-car than my other auto's. Anyone notice this?
It's weird, Drums - they either drive directly up my ***, or they leave two car lengths between us (even at stop lights! it looks hilarous!). I find that a quick tap on the brakes usually sets the tailgaters straight, though... <g>

-don
Old 09-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Good you're safe.
Not as bad as the guy who only made it 200 yards out of the dealership.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

Really sorry to hear of your misfortune. Getting hit from behind is one of the things I have always worried about while driving a high performance car. Unfortunately most people don't know or understand that these types of vehicles can stop in incredibly short distances and that they should stay further back from them. Hopefully you will be able to get your car restored to its original condition in a relatively short period of time.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:41 PM

Glad everyone is OK...best wishes for a speedy 997 recovery
Old 09-29-2006, 12:02 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear BroBear! Glad no one was hurt, but man-o-man .

So in summary:

"An apologetic ******* hit your *** engined car in the ***."
Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear this, but in nj, could be a lot worse!
make sure you have your dealer check your car carefully, since your muffler was hit. last time, i had to replace the many things since the tips were hit, and damaged the whole pipes, etc.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the words of support & empathy. Had it been a case of tailgating I probably would’ve lost it. But since it was stop & go traffic the guy probably wasn’t going much more than 20 – 25 MPH. I kept telling myself he’ll pay dearly in future insurance premiums for his inattention and poor driving habits.

The suggestion to ensure a technical inspection (especially the cylinder heads) is a good one. I’ll try to get a few estimates tomorrow and determine how extensive the damage really is.

The most puzzling thing, after waiting over an hour for a state trooper to arrive, was he only completed an accident report. He didn’t give the guy a ticket. Even after the driver told the trooper it was his fault, that he was reaching for something on the floorboard, and that I was stopped behind other traffic.

I guess NJ doesn’t give tickets for following too close or too fast for conditions. In other states the driver at fault would have received a ticket/summons on the spot for an incident like this.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Sorry to hear BroBear! Glad no one was hurt, but man-o-man .

So in summary:

"An apologetic ******* hit your *** engined car in the ***."
Really need a chuckle after tonight. The glasses of scotch arn't quite enough
Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the guy that got hit 200 yards after I signed my new car paperwork and pulled out of the dealership so I really know how you feel. Here is rule number 1, 2 and three....1. if noboby is hurt it is a blessing, 2. its not worth all of the anger you will have over the next few months as they fix it and rule 3 is that its only metal (although nice shinny metal). Momentum fixed my BMW a few years back that got hit also on Bissonet! They did a reasonable job (9 out of 10).
At the end of the day, consider yourself lucky and wish for the guy that hit you that a bird sh#ts on his head....
Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

That sucks, Bear. Sorry to hear this. But as everyone said, at least no injuries and apparently the guy had insurance.

Originally Posted by mdrums
I seem to notice that people seem to tailgate me more in my P-car than my other auto's. Anyone notice this?
Check out the thread on tailgaters: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=tailgaters

Quick Reply: Rear-ended! #@!!#@$%!!!!!