Sponsored by:

The Tiptronic Lugging Away

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:15 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Tiptronic Lugging Away

Driving around in 4th gear at 25mph can't be good. It just seems the transmission wants to shift up as soon as possible. Unless you put it in manual which is a pain in the *** driving around town. The dealer said that this is Porsche's attempt to get the best gas mileage possible. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Is this hurting the engine? It would have just killed my first two 911's to drive around at 1500 rpm.

Yes I know I'm a woose for having a Tiptronic
Old 09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Queram
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
Driving around in 4th gear at 25mph can't be good. It just seems the transmission wants to shift up as soon as possible. Unless you put it in manual which is a pain in the *** driving around town. The dealer said that this is Porsche's attempt to get the best gas mileage possible. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Is this hurting the engine? It would have just killed my first two 911's to drive around at 1500 rpm.

Yes I know I'm a woose for having a Tiptronic
With my driving style in the city. the transmission upshifts to 5 ASAP and it downshifts with my inputs. the fuelconsumption is just terrible. Use sport mode. That way it will not upshift before the revs get up. Manual mode is another option but slower in gear changes in my butt dyno.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not hurting your engine
Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I use sport mode or just manually shift. I tip does learn ypur style and the more agressive you drive the more agressive it will shift.
Don't let anyone call ya a wuss for having a Tip. At a track you will be able to go fast around the track with a Tip than just about anyone, any regular P-car owning joe in the same car with a 6 speed unless they are a pro driver (pro as in make a living at it) or a PDE instructor.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Porky
Instructor

The tip is fine BUT it is a lot better in Manual mode. Apparently the 2007 Boxster will only change up or down above 3000 RPM. I spoke to a Porsche driving training guy and he couldn't say enough good things about the tip. In addition, he said, the automatic setting is not great in city traffic because it changes up and down too much. Its really better for the highways.

I followed his advice and changed up at 3,000 and got a lot better fuel consumtion in my old 996 and felt that the car was that much more fun to drive ( and you got a better sound coming from behind you as well)
Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would it hurt the engine to run at lower RPM? If anything, it save wear and improves efficiency. Only downside is lack of immediate power if you need it. With the extra torque, you should have no problem overtaking other traffic. Relax and enjoy the tip.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:49 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen posts on this board about it being harmful to lug the engine, but I suppose if Porsche makes it shift like that it's okay. After the break in period I've found that if you red line it when you can, the transmission will be more aggressive as others have posted.

It just seems strange I guess from the old days of carburetors. If you didn't run them flat out all the time, they didn't run very well at all.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

I hesitate to run my engine at less than 2,000 rpm as a rule, but that's just me. But like you say, Chip - Porsche engineers probably know best. The engine is clearly happy there, as she pulls away without any complaint from 2 grand, in just about any gear. It never lugs, even when you roll on in 5th gear from 2k(manual) - just takes a while to build speed - kinda like a normal (non P-) car. <g>

Just drive 'er!!! ;-)

-don
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the engine makes enough torque down low that your not to far out of the power band at 2000 rpm

Quick Reply: The Tiptronic Lugging Away