Sponsored by:

997 Short Shift ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Short Shift ?

Now first up, I know I should probably have asked the question before I signed the order, but, impulse took the better of me.

I have just purchased a new 997 Carrera S, it was sat in the showroom and i just loved the color (Cobalt blue) and Wheels. Anyway, I have just noticed on the paperwork that it has a Short Shift kit fitted. Does anyone have any experience of this option as I've never tried one.

As I'm new to the 997 forum ( ex 996 C4 and 964 C2) I have included a picture from the showroom last saturday. Collect the car this weekend.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Known as "Sport Shift", it works quite well in reduction of shift throw per gear. I've got it on my C2S. You'll notice that when cold, it may be stiff getting into 1st, but once warm, it shifts like a rifle-bolt!

Deanski
Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Drove several with & w/o the sport shifter. Would have ordered it as a factory option but I bought mine off the lot. However, I don't feel strongly enough about it to have it installed after the fact.

Also, really like your car (especially the color & interior), but you did notice the placement of the steering wheel, didn't you?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love mine.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Drmark
Racer

997s handle much better with the steering wheel on that side....
Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
Drove several with & w/o the sport shifter. Would have ordered it as a factory option but I bought mine off the lot. However, I don't feel strongly enough about it to have it installed after the fact.

Also, really like your car (especially the color & interior), but you did notice the placement of the steering wheel, didn't you?
Good Spot, so not only did I miss the short shift kit, but they also fitted the steering wheel incorrectly !! I'd better get back on the phone to them, although it looks like they got all the cars wrong in my dealership.

Thats why the British Car industry has almost disappeared, we keep fitting the steering wheels on the wrong side !

Thanks for your comments, the Cobalt blue is a great color. I have attached a couple more pictures as this is my first 997 post.

Al.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sport shifter is great. As said in the above post, it does take a while for the gearbox to warm up. Just don't force it into first- try shifting into fifth first if its cold. BTW, the color is great!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Drmark - just wondering if that is a biased opinion. I haven't seen any supporting information.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

AJKOK1 - the CF interior looks great too.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
AJKOK1 - the CF interior looks great too.
Thanks. I guess I did it the wrong way round, I saw the car, knew it was the one I wanted, bought it and then had a look to see what was standard what bits were options. The CF makes it a bit more interesting IMHO.

The wheels are also a bit different, the pictures don't really show them off, but they are a smoke colour and quite a bit darker than a normal "alloy" color.

Anyway, I'm just counting the minutes now until I collect it.

Al.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
devon7
Advanced

I've reccently had the short shift fitted to my C2S - I'm not totally convinced by it to be honest and may change back to the original which to my mind is less precise but much easier to change gear with.

Having said that - it gets a lot of very positive feedback on this board (the main reason I added it to my car). I do a lot of short journeys during a working day and maybe it just doesn't suit my driving pattern.

It cost about £390 to change so either way it wont break the bank.

Congrats on your new car - love Cobalt Blue.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Drmark
Racer

Devon,

If you want to sell yours, let me know.

Thanks

Mark
Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
snarf
Instructor

Al, wonderful looking car, you will have a great time with the sport shifter it is as Deanski said like a rifle-bolt in action. The Carrera sports wheels are also the best looking in my opinion - my salesman told me they are GT Silver in colour and a perfect match for my car. However, I have to say they look a little more grey than the GT silver paint but to a degree that varies with the ambient lighting (and brake dust). The other thing you might not be aware of is that the tyres fitted to these wheels are 10mm wider than the standard option at 305mm cf 295mm and hence finish flush with the arches which adds further to their appeal.

When you have time tell us what other options are included.

Allan
Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Foggy916
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Please keep in mind that it will be VERY stiff when new. Once it's broken in, you'll love it. Just give it a few weeks.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
snarf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Foggy916
Please keep in mind that it will be VERY stiff when new. Once it's broken in, you'll love it. Just give it a few weeks.
Mine was very smooth right from collection, although I do find the shift from first to second less so, and find myself subconsciously making this shift more slowly.

Quick Reply: 997 Short Shift ?