Sponsored by:

Just had the most confusing conversation with my salesman

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Just had the most confusing conversation with my salesman

I don't even know how to explain this. So, I traded a few e-mails last week with my salesguy looking into to trading up to a TT. He left me a message at home over the weekend and I just got around to calling him back.

He first asked what number it was that he called. I told him it was my house and gave him my cell. He said he would call back on my cell on his day off on Thurs. as there would be "things we need to do to make this work". for whatever reason he did not want to discuss at work?

He told me to be careful of servicing my car. He said "you're a smart guy - i'm sure you know what I'm talking about". I told him "I must not be that smart because I don't know WTF you're talking about". He asked when was the last time it was in for service. told him a few weeks ago to have a flat tire fixed and another time right after delivery to replace a loose cat converter. He told me they record everything. I told him I'm aware of that but I don't race the car/track the car.

Is he hinting that they will offer less in trade if they know I routinely hit triple digit speeds by pulling info from the car? I've heard some getting warranty work denied because people have missed shifts and over revved, and I don't think i need to worry there. I have hit the limiter but due to a missed shift. I just can't imagine what he's getting at. Guess I'll have to wait until thursday. I"m just so intrigued I had to post and see if i'm just dense and missing something really obvious LOL.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess they might check for serious (ie mechanically driven) overrevs. You are expected to find the limiter if you drive the car.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you have doubts as to the real value of a "used" car, may be you have done something wrong?, and that makes it easier for you to swallow the ****ty trade-in value you are going to be given, and whoala, an easier sale.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

+1. He's trying to sow the seeds of doubt so that you lower your expectations of what your car is really worth. Stick to your guns or better yet, sell it privately. Taking the trade out of the equation gives you much more leverage to negotiate on the new car.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
+1. He's trying to sow the seeds of doubt so that you lower your expectations of what your car is really worth. Stick to your guns or better yet, sell it privately. Taking the trade out of the equation gives you much more leverage to negotiate on the new car.

Or maybe he's just a slime ball....working on something crooked. Pls let us know what he says.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:27 PM
The B
Racer

To me this sounds much diffrent than setting the stage for a sale. He does not want to discuss on email (documentation) and is concerned about what phonelines are used for the conversation.

It is a natural part of a sales process to educate, inform (book values) and negotiate a trade in. The needs analysis portion of the sale is done as you know what you want. Any good sales manager has trainied his sales people to have this conversation with customers as they bring in possible trades. I am unable to think of a good reason whay he would not be able to have that conversation with you while on site or on the job.

He is talking about selling a car right?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It would be interesting if a P. dealership plugs in your car and downloads its 'history' for them prior to them commiting to a price with you.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:17 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

I can't wait until Thursday to speak with him. I don't think he's setting me up or trying to prepare me for a low ball offer - he knows I'll tell him to go F off. He also knows I sold my E55 privately instead of trading it in to him so I don't think that's where he's headed.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:24 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I just went through this when I traded my 01 996tt in at a Porsche dealership. The dealer offer a low ball price and then wanted me to go through a PPI. I stood firm and said no. If someone where going to offer a high retail price, I wouldn't mind jumping through the hoops.

Do your homework and stand firm. I wouldn't have traded my car in, but I wanted a specific car and in Florida, I was able to save sales tax.

1st. Don't trade and sell your car outright
2nd. Stand firm if you do trade and they aren't willing to work with you, there are several Porsche dealerships through the nation and a car carrier waiting in th ewings to deliver it.

Bottom line...Don't put up with a salesman's BS! He is just trying to move inventory and make a profit, on which he is paid.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

theres no way to tell you hit triple digets unless
1 theres a fault stored while at triple digets
2 you crash
3 you tell them

not that that should matter no where in the owners manual does it state not to, that it would void your warrenty or damage the vechile
they can check for mechanical over revs 3----2 when you were going 3---4 but
i have never checked a car for the dealer prior to them making the trade,

if it feels fishy find a new salesman or dealer
Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Perhaps, he's preparing to switch dealerships, himself, and wants to bring your business with him.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Think I figured out what he's talking about but don't want to post here until i'm sure. We'll see on Thurs.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Coak and dagger
He's a friggin salesman...what do you expect.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO he is trying to give you a heads up because he knows how the dealer grinds customers. Just hear the guy out, he may be able to save you some money.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Porky
Instructor

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I don't even know how to explain this. So, I traded a few e-mails last week with my salesguy looking into to trading up to a TT. He left me a message at home over the weekend and I just got around to calling him back.

He first asked what number it was that he called. I told him it was my house and gave him my cell. He said he would call back on my cell on his day off on Thurs. as there would be "things we need to do to make this work". for whatever reason he did not want to discuss at work?

He told me to be careful of servicing my car. He said "you're a smart guy - i'm sure you know what I'm talking about". I told him "I must not be that smart because I don't know WTF you're talking about". He asked when was the last time it was in for service. told him a few weeks ago to have a flat tire fixed and another time right after delivery to replace a loose cat converter. He told me they record everything. I told him I'm aware of that but I don't race the car/track the car.

Is he hinting that they will offer less in trade if they know I routinely hit triple digit speeds by pulling info from the car? I've heard some getting warranty work denied because people have missed shifts and over revved, and I don't think i need to worry there. I have hit the limiter but due to a missed shift. I just can't imagine what he's getting at. Guess I'll have to wait until thursday. I"m just so intrigued I had to post and see if i'm just dense and missing something really obvious LOL.
Mate, go to another dealership - somewhere a bit further away, tell them you lent the car to an aquaintence on several times and heard that he gave it a thrashing - then tell him that if they can check the history and give you a print out you'll give them a hundred bucks, no receipt needed - talk to the service manager and I am sure he'll do it.

Sales guys like to scare you with this type of crap, I spoke to my salesman the other day about trading up and he said, that due to the abundance of new cars available it will be hard to get a good price, so I spoke to several other dealers and got a better price and then told him that unless he BEATS the price I got from other dealerships CONSIDERABLY I won't be buying from him. I have got a new car from them every 18 months or so and would expect some honesty - but I guess a salesman is a salesman and he has to make money or he'll be out looking for a job!

Quick Reply: Just had the most confusing conversation with my salesman