Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche, New 06 S, getting road vibration, need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An obvious thought

Ask the tech at the dealership to drive your car with you in it. You then drive it over the same road and see if you both experience the same. Then you do the same roads in another 997 the dealer has and see whether the tech can feel the difference and whether you can. If he can't and you can, then take your car to another dealer. If he can then he should fix the problem.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had similar problem with my 05 C2. Ended up getting a new front tire from Perilli, at no cost. No way should your car have any vibration from the front end. The P Zeros my car came with were just never up to my expectations. I changed all four for PS2's at 16,000 and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have zero vibration in my C4S with PS2s. Agree with everyone here, no way that a 180mph-capable auto should vibrate in any speed range. My pax seatback will shake at times when empty - but only over solid bumps - but the car is extremely rigid and vibration free in all situations.

I did the Hunter Road Force balance at Tire Rack on my BMW - it made a world of difference. Don't let this go too much further, it's diminishing your enjoyment of a truly spectacular car. The 997 should be glass smooth on a smooth road - don't let anyone BS you.

-don
Old 09-25-2006, 12:38 PM

The key to the GSP9700 is a competent operator and a machine that has been correctly calibrated.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:56 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

500, is your car completed yet?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
500, is your car completed yet?
Yes thanks. I am awaitng shipment and I will be doing all the #'s with the dealership's GM when the new rates come out on the first of Oct. I had the "Brother In Law" deal set up with the GSM that I've known for years but they just let him go last week! So now I have to start all over again but I know the GM too...we'll see how bad he wants to get back as a customer.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:34 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a tire out of balance, bent rim, or possibly a piece of debris in one of them. I pulled a 3" steel screwdriver from my rear tire a week ago.

Tire "flat spots" in the context above are possible but would clear up after 10-15 minutes of driving. Just for the record, the term flat spot is generally used to describe a tire that has been locked up at high speed, resulting in a flat spot wher the tread was worn down during the skid. This should not be a problem with your car because it's not possible to skid on the tire (thanks ABS) unless you are completely sideways in a full lateral slide with no wheel rotation. That's highly unlikely and even less so that you wouldn't remember it.

The "flat spot" suggested in the posts above is related to low profile, high performance, steel belted radials sitting for extended perdiods between drives. They can develop a bit of a memory and don't assume their correct, perfectly round shape until they warm up a bit. This problem is more frequent if the tires are underinflated, so be sure the pressures are correct. It's not harmful but can be a bit annoying if you feel a vibration, sometimes fairly strong, after the cars been parked for a couple days. It's also worse and slower to correct in cold weather.

Your dealer's suggestion that you drive the car and run through some threshold braking exercises to wear down the high spots is absolute rubbish. If that dealer gave you that advice and didn't offer to check the tires for debris, a bent/loose wheel, bad bearing, or other potentially dangerous condition, he's not only an idiot but he's puttinig your safety in jeapordy.

MC
Old 09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
b911s
Intermediate

Thank all of you for the advice. I have an appt this weds morning to have them rebalance the tires. If it continues I will use your advice on the next route to take. I agree from most of your opinions that it probly is a balance issue, at least I certainly hope so. I actually had this issue with another car and I had it road force balanced, 2 or 3 times, changed rims and looked at everything and just couldnt quit get rid of the shake so I did the next best thing and sold the car, no complaints from the current owner so who knows, I just hope this is not another nightmare. It just sucks to have this as your first experience into the P-Car world and start to chase problems right off the bat. Problem is I just cant quit driving it so it is making it all the worse. Well I guess I'll strugle thru until wednesday and see how it goes.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:08 PM
b911s
Intermediate

Just wanted to follow up. Went today and they rebalanced the tires and problem solved. Now this is what I expected from this thing in the first place. Solid as a rock at any speed so far, at least to 110, to much traffice to exceed that and no more passanger seat wobbel. Also hopefully going to my first DE weekend on Sat., this should be fun and I'll get a chance to really see what this car will do. Thank god this got straightened out, was thinking I might have to dump this thing and go over to the Bowtie Guys and jump on a new Z06, hum, may have to do that anyway, I need a beater

Thanks for all of the feedback
Old 09-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

Here is what you do. Take it to a dealer. Tell him to fix it.

Give him the symptoms, but don't bother trying to tell them what you think is causing the problem. Whatever the cause, they should fix it and when you pick it up it should be perfect.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by b911s
Just wanted to follow up. Went today and they rebalanced the tires and problem solved. Now this is what I expected from this thing in the first place. Solid as a rock at any speed so far, at least to 110, to much traffice to exceed that and no more passanger seat wobbel. Also hopefully going to my first DE weekend on Sat., this should be fun and I'll get a chance to really see what this car will do. Thank god this got straightened out, was thinking I might have to dump this thing and go over to the Bowtie Guys and jump on a new Z06, hum, may have to do that anyway, I need a beater

Thanks for all of the feedback
Glad she's perfect!

Quick Reply: First Porsche, New 06 S, getting road vibration, need some input.