Sponsored by:

Rejex on a 997?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:38 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts
Default Rejex on a 997?

When I was over in the 996 forum alot of guys swore by using Rejex when polishing their cars. I used it a few times on my wife's ML350 and got nice results and also once or twice on my 996 too. However I've seen alot from OC Ben and others on numerous alternatives here in the 997 forum.

Anyone definately DO NOT recommend Rejex on my new 997? I've heard of other using 3M? Zanio? Griot's Garage? PS21? Now I AM confused.

Also where can I find a good polisher? Had my dad's old orbital he got from like AutoZone or someplace but definately haven't used it yet on my 997. Alot of folks mention the Porter Cable polisher and Griot's Garage has a package with a polisher in it and some clay bars and starter wax/polish for around $175. Is this any good?

Oh by the way I have the Artic Silver paint with black interior; does that matter or make a difference in what paint/wax I should use?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The Porter Cable 7424 is what most people buy. I've seen it for $125 - $150. After doing some research on the PC web site, I went to Lowes Hardware and bought the PC 7336SP for $99.00. It is the exact same body and motor as the 7424, but came with a sanding pad and a polishing pad. Here is the PC site link. Check out the first two polishers shown in the link.

http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2804

I then bought my Hook & Loop (a.k.a. Velcro) backed pads and a backing plate at Autogeek.net. I have been very pleased with these pads.

http://www.autogeek.net/vcpad.html

I also have a 10" buffer and use a Terry cloth bonnet on it to remove the final wax or synthetic sealant and follow that up with a second buffing with a micro fiber bonnet. You could buy 6" Terry cloth and micro fiber bonnets from Autogeek to fit your PC polisher and achieve the same results.

http://www.autogeek.net/temibo.html

There are a "ga-zillion" different opinions on polishes, sealants, and waxes. Most of those opinions have already been posted here on Rennlist, so I won't go into those again.

BTW, I am not affiliated with Autogeek in any way. I am just a satisfied customer. Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I use nothing but ReJex on my BMW X5 and Porsche 997 C2S cab. ReJex really works and the shine is incredible. I have been using ReJex for around 4 years on my boat with excellent results. The salt water and sun enviroment is HARSH and ReJex works.
I am a firm believer that for your new Porsche that you do not need a machine polisher. Just put on the ReJex or any other protectant by hand, let it dry and wipe it off. I use nothing but micro fiber cloth and a gentle touch. My 38,000 mile black BMW X5 shows no signs of major or moderate swirls and all I've used is ReJex and my wife even messed up and took it through a car wash a couple of times.
Mike
Old 09-17-2006, 09:45 AM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am another fan of Rejex. I started using it years ago on an airplane I had at the time and became a fan. More recently, I had a Boxster and a Lexus LS430. I used Rejex on the Boxster and because I was curious aout all the hoopla about Zaino, I used Zaino on the Lexus. After three years of using both products side by side, I couldn't tell the difference. But the Rejex goes on and comes off so easily compared to the hours long process of applying multiple coats of multiple products of Zaino, it was a no brainer for me. I would rather spend the time driving the car than polishing it.
I recently traded in both the Boxster and Lexus towards a 997 and the 997 now has a fresh coat of Rejex. Also, you can buy Rejex from Eric at Bumperplugs who is a Rennlist sponsor.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:23 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option on the Porter-Cable purchase.
Best deal I found for a package. Comes with stuff you probably won't need though. Comes with various pads/sizes, including Lake Country pads. Even includes the little counter weight. Not much else you need to get started.
No affil. http://www.topoftheline.com/porcabpolpac.html $189.95
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 PM
ahs911cab
Intermediate

I am also a Rejex believer. It looks best when combined by P21S or S100.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Wash the 997 with dawn to get anything (wax) off before you start. Assuming the paint is in excellent condition, try the Rejex (follow the pkg instructions, and yes, we carry it). Then use it again a week or two later. See how it looks in a month or two.

I washed 3 of my vehicles this weekend, all with Rejex applied in the past two months. They were absolutely stunning, and as I watched the water take nearly all the crud off the cars, it was very appealing to not have to go so hard on the wash itself.

Mazda 3 5-door hatch, metallic red
Audi A8L, white (a real pain to do)
C4S Cab, Guards, still showroom condition paint, two years+

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-17-2006, 09:48 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Thankx...will have to get my Rejex order in. Sounds like a winner for those who are time limited and can't spend 10hrs waxing and polishing.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Rejex Zaino Wax etc

Sure, Rejex can be used. It's what "look" you're after.

Rejex has a very "plastic wrap" effect. Early Zaino also was exactly like Rejex, very glossy, no depth and looked as if you wrapped it in Saran wrap.

Zaino has more steps in that you should add the catalyst with Zaino. It's an aid in drying and bonding. So you squeeze an ounce in a two ounce bottle, add a few dropps of ZFX, shake, let sit for a minute, then apply VERY THIN! Not may steps there. It's when you add the QD and if/or you need Z5-Pro AND Z2-Pro. Then it becomes more involved. But the results are stunning and last. The work of QD'ing between coats is teadious and time consuming, but again it's what look you're after.

If you enjoy the look of Rejex, then use Rejex. If you like the depth of wax, use a wax. If you want a sealant that has the depth of some waxes (not all) then Zaino. The new Z5-Pro hides marring very well. Not as well as a glaze which has more clay in it and is used exculisively to hide marring. Z5-Pro hides and adds deep gloss/protection. Z2-Pro is the very optically clear sealant.

No matter what sealant you use, you HAVE to apply thin to avoid streaking and problems drying. You can always add another layer with a sealant. You cannot do that (layer) with waxes.

On top of that, if you put Rejex on and do not like the plastic sterile look, top with a good quality wax like P21s which is very clear and you now have the depth and protection. Also, the wax is somewhat of a sacrificial layer over your sealant.

I did this with early versions of Zaino and topped with Souveran paste wax. Now, THAT looked sharp! Very deep and wet looking.

Oh yea, don't forget your wheels with Rejex! Now there is one area Rejex works very well in keeping brake dust in check. Very easy to wash off after a Rejex treatment. If you have the time and lift, I remove the wheels so you can do the entire inside and out.

Rejex does work, it's just I'm not a fan of the look afterwards, that's all. And as I said, it can be corrected by a topping of wax.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^But how well does wax adhere to Rejex? I conjecture the wax coat will be gone the next time you wash the car.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rejex!!!

If you drive your car and collect bugs...
They just wash off!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Zaino blows rejex away...no doubt. OK Zaino takes some time the first time, but after that it is the easiest to maintain and there are no others that compare in looks IMHO.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:33 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

I'm with you guys - I have used Rejex (by hand) on my 997S four times over the last year and the car looks stunning. I also use it on my wife's black Tahoe and bugs come right off and there are no swirls. Amazing product!

I too wonder if a top coat of P21S would come right off on the next wash since I have a strong base coat of Rejex?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Zaino blows rejex away...no doubt. OK Zaino takes some time the first time, but after that it is the easiest to maintain and there are no others that compare in looks IMHO.
Zanio does NOT blow away ReJex. Zanio is a good product but with Rejex it is so easy to use and the gloss and shine is awesome. Plus the protection ReJex gives is 2nd to none. ReJex is very durable as I have used it in the marine enviroment for years.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Yes, you can top Rejex or any other sealant with wax and no it will not wash off unless you use something alkaline.

There has been numerous discussions about Rejex vs Zaino over at Autopia and Detailcity. The final outcome seems more people liked the Zaino better than Rejex. It's all subjective.

Then there's Finish Kare systems which also have some very good sealants that have anti-static properties. Don't forget Klasse, Wolfgang, Meguiars etc.

That said, it all depends on the look and what you are after. One thing I also do not like about Rejex is it looses its "slickness" fast and after first application you have to keep it from the weather for 12 hours to cure.

Still one of the best for wheels in preventing brake dust sticking. New Klasse seems to loose out on this now. The older version was better at it.

For black finishes, it's Zaino and Z8 or a really nice glaze and Souveran wax. Each has a very unique look.

Some waxes have a bit of distortion looking at them, some do not. Sealants are very clear which also brings me to another point. Your finish better be free from marring or swirls or the sealant will highlight them.

Use whichever you want for the look you're after. It may take different applications to test which one you like, but get with a local detailer who may have all products to choose which one really looks best in YOUR eye!

As for Zaino blowing away Rejex, I would not go that far. Rejex has that sterile look and Zaino has a wetter look. Zaino takes more time, Rejex takes very little time. Zaino does stay slicker longer than Rejex, but I would not say it "blows it away" in the sense it's the ultimate sealant. It's (Zaino) always being improved! Remember, there are two in the Zaino line as well. Z5 and Z2.

So enjoy whichever one you like. All subjective as to look.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Rejex on a 997?