Fabspeed on a 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Fabspeed on a 997

Hi,
I'm debating PSE vs. Fabspeed. I already know enough about the PSE but would like to hear from those that went with the Fabspeed. Here are my Q's

1) Any in cabin resonance
2) Around town sound, mellow, loud or similar to stock
3) Open throttle, sounds like a trombone or a race car
4) Would you buy fabspeed if you had to do it all over again

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I am happy with my Fabspeed mufflers. They scream at wide open and not much louder at idle. They have a mellow sound under a light foot and at highway speeds you can barley hear them but just enough. Yes they are louder than stock all around.
PSE is nice but it is a little more than $1000 more than Fabspeed.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought my car off the lot I wasn't able to order PSE. Since I then had a choice I went through the PSE, Fabspeed, or AWE decision quandry. I had the Fabspeed installed 3 weeks ago and am very happy.

Load enough at idle to notice the difference and at full thorttle to really hear them. No obtrusive cabin noise at any speed, even with windows and sun roof open. Used the $1,000 differnece towards a K40 Calibre radar detector/laser difuser.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I had the Fabspeed mufflers put on my 06 C2S Cab and took them off after a few weeks. I could not stand the drone from 2500-3000rpms. Top up or down, the drone was bad. I could feel it in my head. I switched to PSE and have not looked back. I even leave the vaccum plug OFF so PSE is always on. Once you hear the PSE sound, IMO, question answered.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:53 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Hi,
I'm debating PSE vs. Fabspeed. I already know enough about the PSE but would like to hear from those that went with the Fabspeed. Here are my Q's

1) Any in cabin resonance
2) Around town sound, mellow, loud or similar to stock
3) Open throttle, sounds like a trombone or a race car
4) Would you buy fabspeed if you had to do it all over again

Thanks for the input!
why bother spending big $$$ just to change the sound of the car? Spend it on something to make the car actually go faster...
Otherwise it's just good money waiting to be poorly spent.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a ~ $ 100 k car .
Are you debating about saving a few $$ ?
If you want a more agressive sound, get the PSE. I guarantee you will love it. It will not have objectionable resonances at certain speeds,it sounds like a Porsche should and
it has something no one else can give you .
The ability to shut it off when you want to have a conversation with your passenger.
Not to mention that it does not adversely affect the performance.
Most aftermarket mufflers which claim outlandish HP gains fail to mention the fact that any HP gains only occur at very high RPM's and that you lose torque at lower speeds( where you want it ,unless you go racing ).

I could never understand why anyone would throw away new factory equipment and replace it with mufflers that someone sells out of his driveway (i.e. Fabspeed)
Old 09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
I had the Fabspeed mufflers put on my 06 C2S Cab and took them off after a few weeks. I could not stand the drone from 2500-3000rpms. Top up or down, the drone was bad. I could feel it in my head. I switched to PSE and have not looked back. I even leave the vaccum plug OFF so PSE is always on. Once you hear the PSE sound, IMO, question answered.
You got that right! PSE DOES sound great!

Deanski
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Or you can do what I did I have PSE but I replaced my cats with Fabspeed cats and replaced my stock headers with Supersprint headers. The beauty of this set up is you still have the sport button so in normal mode it’s not ripping loud but once you press the button it is like driving my own cup car it sounds awesome. It is the best of both worlds.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Or you can do what I did I have PSE but I replaced my cats with Fabspeed cats and replaced my stock headers with Supersprint headers. The beauty of this set up is you still have the sport button so in normal mode it’s not ripping loud but once you press the button it is like driving my own cup car it sounds awesome. It is the best of both worlds.
You know, I was thinking of the same, but at the very least, changing the cats to 100-cell cats. I was also wondering about headers and how well they will match-up with the stock PSE system. Always wondered why Porsche only installs headers on the X51 and not on std 3.8 "S" engines. I mean after all, it's an "S" model?

Who did your work? FB/L in Danbury??

It must sound insane! Love to hear it one day!!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-16-2006, 02:50 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Hey Deanski,

I had work done by XX Tuning in East Harford, the have done a lot of work on my cars and I highly recommend them. I am however going to have FB/L in Danbury do my Revo tuning. I was in there facility a few weeks ago, it is quite an impressive place. And yes my setup does sound insane I love it, we live close enough to each other so letting you hear it shouldn’t be a problem.

Joe
Old 09-16-2006, 05:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I have read that the 100 cell cats set of the CEL?

rshanholts, I have a cab also with Fabspeed and I get a slight drone only at 1900-2100rpm with the top up. Top down no drone. I've heard and experienced the cab's will drone with the top up with any aftermarket exhaust because of the thin canvas top and the cubic space of a cab vs a coupe.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:17 PM
grussell
Pro

I just had the full AWE system installed on my wife's 07 and it is awe-some. No drone, great tone, and feels more responsive.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

thanks for the feedback everyone
Old 09-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Hey Deanski,

I had work done by XX Tuning in East Harford, the have done a lot of work on my cars and I highly recommend them. I am however going to have FB/L in Danbury do my Revo tuning. I was in there facility a few weeks ago, it is quite an impressive place. And yes my setup does sound insane I love it, we live close enough to each other so letting you hear it shouldn’t be a problem.

Joe
Thanks big guy!

Yea, one day I have to drop off my car to FB/L to have the screens installed in the Aerokit openings. While there will ask about H&R springs, 100 cell cats etc.

The Revo tuning should be nice added to what you now have! Let us know how well it works!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by grussell
I just had the full AWE system installed on my wife's 07 and it is awe-some. No drone, great tone, and feels more responsive.
I second the opinion. I had the full AWE system insalled on my '05 S cabriolet by AWE in response to their offer for a free install for someone who would volunteer to have their car dynoed before and after. The sound is great, not intrusive when in the car but it is loud (in a good way) from outside the car. A lot of cars on the LIE move over when they hear me coming. And, the full system seems to have more torque.

Bob, if you're ever in Manhattan during the week or the Hamptons on the weekend, I'll take you out for a test.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed on a 997