Do you drive a 997 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Do you drive a 997 Cabriolet?

I'm considering a 997 Cab as a daily driver in addition to keeping the 996 GT3 instead of updating to the 997 GT3 -- I mention that to indicate the Cab won't be asked to run track days. I like the present discounting on the '06 models and I'm considering a pretty simple C4 Cab but I want to get some hands-on driving advice and "enjoying it as a 911" opinions.

If you own a 997 Cab, what does it feel like and would you pay the premium for the wide body now you know the car; would you buy the AWD again and would you pay for the S power or even the X51 power on top of that?

Has someone compiled the comparison spreadsheet of standard versus reduced price options for each model? For that matter, has this question been raised recently and I haven't found it? Maybe on another forum? Thanks as ever.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I drive a C2S Cab. There are a myriad of opinion C4 v C2 (S and non-S) and convertible v hard top.

I love putting the top down and having the convertible..especially where I drive in Southern California (The Beach) and here in Nevada (Mornings and nights out here are becoming very nice now).

This is my 3rd convertible, and I hope to always own one.

You will find differing opinions of course, but it is all about the top down driving experience..I really enjoy it.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S is a must and the 4 is a preference. I went with both and I wouldn't do it any other way!!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C2S Cab as my almost daily driver. I wouldn't bother with awd (had a C4S Coupe before and didn't like the understeer and slow-witted feeling of the steering) as I don't think you need it, but that is n=1. You lose a little sharpness in the steering and handling from the Coupe to the Cab that you CAN feel. Not that it "wobbles" - it's about 95% there - just you can feel it.

I would pay for the S, but I'm not sure for a cab that you would get the most out of X51, or ceramics, just because of the way most people drive cabs and the fact that they tend not to track them, but then again if you can afford it.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Part of the decision is wide-body vs normal -- is that a noticeable aspect of the Cab body?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

I wouldn't get the 4WD version. I have a 997S Cabriolet mit Hardtop! --the best of BOTH worlds!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:04 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 997S Cabriolet is eminently suitable as a daily driver. I live in the northeast(Long Island) and have 13,000+ miles in a year, in all weather conditions. Great car for running errands, the grocery store, etc.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Part of the decision is wide-body vs normal -- is that a noticeable aspect of the Cab body?
hi cgt,
you still got the polar 993 as well?
man, if you want a cab all you had to do was ask me!
don't have the widebody but do have a 2006 s cab w/6k miles
w/ the gt3 tbd b/f the eoy.
your lower case buddy,
jeff
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I drove the C2 and C4 side-by-side and liked the driving characteristics of the C2 better. I can slip the tale out at will and accelerate out like a cat with its tale on fire. I prefer the C2, but they are both fantastic cars--you can't lose.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Mmmmmmmm...........cabs
There is no substitute!!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

I have a C2S. I think the "upgrade" in power, etc. with the S makes more sense than the AWD "upgrade" in terms of enhancing your everyday driving experience. As far as a daily driver, that really depends on where you live. Here in Wisconsin, my cab rarely comes out of the garage during the three worst months of winter. If I were in a warm weather climate, I'd probably drive it every day and sell my Cayenne!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
hi cgt,
you still got the polar 993 as well?
man, if you want a cab all you had to do was ask me!
don't have the widebody but do have a 2006 s cab w/6k miles
w/ the gt3 tbd b/f the eoy.
your lower case buddy,
jeff
The "993 Carrera 4S Turbo S GT2" is there as ever -- I'm hoping to replace it with a sunroof delete Turbo one day and do everything again, but that's a pretty low priority. And it's a steady source of entertainment as I keep Bob's parts business in the black ... : )

The question at hand is having to confirm my spec for a December build slot for the 997 GT3. Go with the 997 as an all purpose car or keep the 996 for the track and get a cab for daily fun.

So now I'm curious to hear first hand accounts of people with cabs, especially to see if the wide body owners really notice it or if the AWD drivers enjoy it or regret it.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I drove the C2 and C4 side-by-side and liked the driving characteristics of the C2 better. I can slip the tale out at will and accelerate out like a cat with its tale on fire. I prefer the C2, but they are both fantastic cars--you can't lose.
Interesting. I plan on doing the same back to back drive. I guess you "voted" for the C2S.
And you might want to thoroughly demo that Gallardo before buying if you don't like AWD. : )
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
On a cab, the C4's wider body appearance is lost with the top down.

On a coupe, the C4 is clearly noticeably wider than the C2 in relation to the width of the roof, which they both share.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:09 AM
TomFromCT
Instructor

I have the C4 Cab. Although I've only had it for 700 miles so far, I can't think of anything better. With the top up, it is quiet and secure. With the top down, it offers all the joys of a Cab, especially with the PSE on. I think the 4 hips are very noticeable, top up or top down, as I have already had many comments on how nice the "wide" body looks.

Quick Reply: Do you drive a 997 Cabriolet?