Euro Delivery--After Action Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ans: (1) The cars are supposed to go through a cursory service check upon return. All they are really looking for was whether you used leaded fuel while over there. (That's getting really hard to do with the widespread distribution of 'bleifrei' now in the EU.)

Ans (2) The factory doesn't bother to do anything to the cars cosmetically today. I had heard the same thing from someone and a ding and a chip or two and miraculously they were missing when the car arrived. In today's reality the factory truly deals with it as a 'used car' and hardly bothers to do anything. In fact, they don't even do an underside chassis wash (mandated by US Custom, BTW) as I saw evidence of Europe still on the bottom of the car. Several stone chips that I had were still there. They also recommended that any repairs to the body or mechanicals just be done in the States instead of holding up the car in Germany. Apparently, the factory isn't equipped or staffed to deal with repairing cars anymore. They jsut push them out through the exit and that's it. Despite the car literally sitting around in Germany for three weeks after I returned it they didn't do squat to it,--and that pretty much bothered me. Their delivery and distribution process needs to be revamped, much like their assembly process was after the Japanese consultants were through with them.

The usual white plastic coatings seen on cars while shipping are not reattached to the car when in transit, not are the interior protective things (seat covers, etc.). While I babied the interior of the car, some moron with Porsche apparently hadn't washed his hands after playing grease monkey and left a trail of black grease on all the interior,--and the local dealer's prep guys were blind to all that. I'd rather they just left it to me,--and they did.
You observations are quite damning.

And this Joe character on a first name basis with Mr Ruf sounds like someone to keep in your address book.

I think Ruf is becoming a realistic option as prices climb far over $100K for "normal" Porsches and the specifications just plain don't line up with my interests. I wonder if Ruf could convince Porsche to build a couple of 993 bodies and drop in those 9m 4.0's? ... and yes, I've been even further OT than this before.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ans: (1) The cars are supposed to go through a cursory service check upon return. All they are really looking for was whether you used leaded fuel while over there. (That's getting really hard to do with the widespread distribution of 'bleifrei' now in the EU.)
The usual white plastic coatings seen on cars while shipping are not reattached to the car when in transit, not are the interior protective things (seat covers, etc.). While I babied the interior of the car, some moron with Porsche apparently hadn't washed his hands after playing grease monkey and left a trail of black grease on all the interior,--and the local dealer's prep guys were blind to all that. I'd rather they just left it to me,--and they did.
Now I had a different experience for my Nov 05 delivery. Mine came back with wrappings for the outside but only 2 plastic sheets on the inside. They left the rears alone since they quite "used". Then again they saw me take photos of the car during the handing over including interior etc. That + the american sue happy stigma probably made them spring into action.
My suggestion is get a camera that shoots RAW files. It's accepted as unchangeable so will stand up to scrutiny. The Exif includes dates of pics etc.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm sure they didn't miss me either with my Nikon D2X snapping away (also in RAW files) as I left the car. It probably depends upon the guy that day. There doesn't appear to be any standardized process.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Oh How Things Have Changed.....

As we all can find in the manual it recommends keeping it under 4200 rpm for 2000 miles. The Customer Care guy suggested I keep it below 5000 for 2000 miles. Interestingly, during this car pickup, the guy never asked me if I had owned a Porsche before. (Years ago they tailored their 'briefing' to you based upon your familiarity with the cars). Perhaps they are running into a whole bunch of new-to-Porsche customers.

I followed his suggestion.
My last Porsche Euro Delivery was on a Monday in May '93. I received a 964C2. I asked the customer rep who was giving me the walk around explanation of the car about the break-in period. He told me not to exceed 5000 rpm for 500 miles, vary my road speed as much as possible (to properly break-in the ring and pinion), and not to try a full panic stop for the first 125 miles so as to break-in the brakes and tires. I told him that I was scheduled for driving school at the Nurburgring beginning on Thursday and asked if he had any advice. His answer was simple and to the point. "Drive 500 miles by Thursday and you'll be fine". I did, and I was fine. I covered nearly 500 miles while at the school. In the 25,000 miles I later drove that car, I never added any oil between 7500 mile oil changes!

In 2001 I took Euro Delivery of a BMW 540i-6. Now there's a delivery process that runs like the German rail system. Give them a try sometime.

Cheers,
Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

My Father bought several 911's and 356's over there in the 60's and 70's, Used them for his trips. If he didn't keep the car, he sold them here. He made more than enough money to pay for the whole trip and then some.

You can't do that today with the taxes and tariffs, obviously. I believe he dealt directly with the factory. In 65 (I think) he ordered a 356, it wasn't ready so sold they sold him a Blue 911, which was the first one in Denver and the talk of the town.

A little Porsche trivia,
Old 09-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I totally agree that BMW knows what they are doing with euro delivery. I picked up my M5 and they were ready with all the paper work etc when I arrived I was out of the factory in less than 30 mins.
My first euro delivery with Porsche was in 90 and then again in 93. Both times, my dealer had "problems" with communication with PAG. But it worked out well. My BMW experiences on the other hand have been stellar. As have my one experience with Maserati, strange enough that they don't get too many euro deliveries so they sorta like the novelty of it I guess.
Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
My last Porsche Euro Delivery was on a Monday in May '93. I received a 964C2. I asked the customer rep who was giving me the walk around explanation of the car about the break-in period. He told me not to exceed 5000 rpm for 500 miles, vary my road speed as much as possible (to properly break-in the ring and pinion), and not to try a full panic stop for the first 125 miles so as to break-in the brakes and tires. I told him that I was scheduled for driving school at the Nurburgring beginning on Thursday and asked if he had any advice. His answer was simple and to the point. "Drive 500 miles by Thursday and you'll be fine". I did, and I was fine. I covered nearly 500 miles while at the school. In the 25,000 miles I later drove that car, I never added any oil between 7500 mile oil changes!

In 2001 I took Euro Delivery of a BMW 540i-6. Now there's a delivery process that runs like the German rail system. Give them a try sometime.

Cheers,
Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Absolutely great information from all of you. I drive a 745Li and didn't know they did Euro delivery--interesting. Also, I plan to buy the next version of the 997 and take Euro delivery. Thank you guys for all the information.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 614 Posts

I still want to know how PAG or PCNA deals with US cars that are Euro Delivered and then Modified in Europe and sent back to USA.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

I was thinking of getting a cayman s euro delivery style, but now I think not

plus gas prices are crazy
Old 09-14-2006, 01:22 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
I still want to know how PAG or PCNA deals with US cars that are Euro Delivered and then Modified in Europe and sent back to USA.
I read somewhere in my euro paperwork that that is not allowed. I will have to check if I can track it down. Might lose the 10k VAT deposit!?!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl

Believe me. The gas prices will not bother you. You just have to let it go and understand that the more gas you buy means the more fun and enjoyable miles you are driving!!

The exchange rate will hurt!

Just don't expect much for Porsche's ED program.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I just filled up the car tonight here in SB. About $45,--and about HALF what that same fill would be in Europe!! I'm happy to be filling up for such peanuts!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by crispenigl

Don't let the report deter you. Just find a dealer that knows what they are doing. Once you drive on the autobahn, where cars will move out of the fast lane and get on the Ring. It'll be all worth it. Even if you don't hit the ring, some of the roads around the Ring are just as good as many of the corners on the track.
Take a drive through the Dolomites for some awesome mountain road driving.
The only pitfall is the month long wait for the car to return.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery--After Action Report