Sponsored by:

Britax Starriser Booster question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Britax Starriser Booster question

Lots of support here for this seat and I agree it fits well in car.

However, box it came in says it's for children over 43'' tall. My son is 3 1/2 and is 40'' tall. Any thoughts on a different seat that would fit him?

thanks!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Foggy916
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Another idea....my factory porsche baby seat was slightly too large and I ended up cutting out a foam piece and placing it under the fabric in the seat...the belts fits perfectly now and I also have a seat that he can grow into.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foggy916
Another idea....my factory porsche baby seat was slightly too large and I ended up cutting out a foam piece and placing it under the fabric in the seat...the belts fits perfectly now and I also have a seat that he can grow into.

Don't think my wife would go for that one and I wouldn't feel right about it either since it's a sportscar and not an SUV and kids are prety vulnerable in them. Would really like to find a tested seat that fits both the space and my son.

thanks though
Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I just moved my 4 1/2 y/o to the Starriser, but I think its a little too soon for your son. She was previously in an Eddie Bauer leather seat - I think this is now a discontinued model but its still around, and I like it because the base fits well in the rear seat. I am now using it for my 15 mo. old son. Search the 997 threads for child seat - I think I posted a picture or link a while back.

Or since you are in L.A., you can do what I did and go to a Kids R Us and carry some seats out to your car to see what fits - that's what I did. The key is the base on some is narrower and they tend to fit better.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I just moved my 4 1/2 y/o to the Starriser, but I think its a little too soon for your son. She was previously in an Eddie Bauer leather seat - I think this is now a discontinued model but its still around, and I like it because the base fits well in the rear seat. I am now using it for my 15 mo. old son. Search the 997 threads for child seat - I think I posted a picture or link a while back.

Or since you are in L.A., you can do what I did and go to a Kids R Us and carry some seats out to your car to see what fits - that's what I did. The key is the base on some is narrower and they tend to fit better.

sounds good. Guess I gotta haul my butt to the store then! thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
chbj
Advanced

I had a certified car seat installer go through a number of seats for the backseat. Our son is 38" tall and I thought the Britax Roundabout would be best. However the installer said that even though I was able to fit it, since the seat belt buckle is so much further forward than the anchor of the lap belt on the other side the car seat would be pulled sideways in an accident. Not a good thing. He suggested the Starriser with the seat back attached. The installer said since the shoulder belt in the back seat of our cars is fairly low the belt actually fits properly over the shoulder of our son. So does the lap belt. His point was that a properly fitting booster is much better than an ill fitting convertible car seat. The only issue is that children at that age might not be willing to wear a regular seat belt for an extended period of time. With the booster it is very easy for them to take the shoulder belt off.

For short trips the Starriser has worked well for us. For long trips we take my wife's car.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:15 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chbj
I had a certified car seat installer go through a number of seats for the backseat. Our son is 38" tall and I thought the Britax Roundabout would be best. However the installer said that even though I was able to fit it, since the seat belt buckle is so much further forward than the anchor of the lap belt on the other side the car seat would be pulled sideways in an accident. Not a good thing. He suggested the Starriser with the seat back attached. The installer said since the shoulder belt in the back seat of our cars is fairly low the belt actually fits properly over the shoulder of our son. So does the lap belt. His point was that a properly fitting booster is much better than an ill fitting convertible car seat. The only issue is that children at that age might not be willing to wear a regular seat belt for an extended period of time. With the booster it is very easy for them to take the shoulder belt off.

For short trips the Starriser has worked well for us. For long trips we take my wife's car.

Hope that helps.
and Porsche thinks an adult can sit back there...

I have the Starriser also but because of the awkward angle the cab has in the rear, my son (5 1/2) has been sitting in the front...I know I know it is against the law in CA

Quick Reply: Britax Starriser Booster question