Sponsored by:

sport chrono

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 PM
golfman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport chrono

The 1/4 mile and 0-60 times porsche and the car mags claim. Do those times reflect using the sport chrono setting or are they just normal times without the sport chrono package.

I am still in the breakin period on mine so I have yet to track test the car. Has anyone ran the 1/4 mile or 0-60 with the sport chrono on and then off to see if it changes the times. I can diffently feel the the response difference when it is on. Best $900 option anyone can get.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Sport Chrono does not affect 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. 100% pedal travel = 100% throttle in any mode.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

The Sport Chrono is only a chronograph timer. The Sport Chrono package gives you some seat and other accessory memory and changes the power curve on the pedal travel. It does not give the engine any more power and there is no difference in 0-60 and so forth times.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:19 AM
golfman
Instructor

So why is the car so much more responsive when I turn on the sport mode.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 AM
erv
Advanced

Throttle map is changed giving faster throttle response. Sport setting on PASM is activated automatically as well, making the suspension much tighter and more responsive.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:35 AM
golfman
Instructor

ok i got this from the porsche website

Pressing the “Sport” button on the center console is all that’s required to begin exploiting the new 911’s generous reserves of power and agility in a more immediate manner. In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration.

So this has no effect on the overall speed of the car?

It sure does feel alot quicker to me.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:47 AM
erv
Advanced

I agree 100% about the car feeling quicker, but according to everything I have read, faster throttle response doesn't translate into quicker acceleration. "Additional protection for the engine under acceleration," is another way of saying the rev-limiter kicks in more aggressively.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Technically, there is no HP gain,--but if you are passing a slow line of cars, wouldn't you rather the sport chrono mode was on? I certainly do. I'm certain that I'm getting around them faster with it on.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Technically, there is no HP gain,--but if you are passing a slow line of cars, wouldn't you rather the sport chrono mode was on? I certainly do. I'm certain that I'm getting around them faster with it on.
When I pass folks, I generally floor it. In other words, 100% pedal travel = 100% throttle.

IF you happen to pass people with your pedal say half-way down, SC will apply more throttle than if you do not have SC (i.e. SC gets you to 100% throttle without requiring 100% pedal travel). So I suppose it could apply here depending on driving style.

I can't remember the exact mapping, so I don't recall if it was linear or if SC and standard meet somewhere prior to 100% pedal travel.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by golfman
ok i got this from the porsche website

Pressing the “Sport” button on the center console is all that’s required to begin exploiting the new 911’s generous reserves of power and agility in a more immediate manner. In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration.

So this has no effect on the overall speed of the car?

It sure does feel alot quicker to me.
If you'll search on this topic I believe you'll find someone previously posted a graph of the throttle map Sport on and Sport off - has no impact on power, speed, etc.

Quick Reply: sport chrono