Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ Clearbra Recommendation Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006 | 10:02 AM
NJNewbie
2nd Gear

Default NJ Clearbra Recommendation Needed

I am due to pick up my C2S over the next couple of weeks and have decided to go with a clearbra. Install is offered through the dealer (Paul Miller) who has contracted with an outside installer. Has anyone gone this route with Paul Miller and, if so, can offer some feedback? Alternatively, is there a top-notch installer available in NJ similar to the Premier West Coast outfit mentioned in other posts?
Old 09-04-2006 | 10:21 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

The three local deals I worked with (Paul Miller, Jack Danials, and Ray Catina) prior to buying my C2S all used outside contractor at the time. All offered the die cut clear bra. I looked at installations at all three dealers. I wasn't able to find someone locally who installed the full sheet like Premier.

I use Power-Tech in Rockaway (who also used an installer) and had a die cut clear bra installed. The cost was slightly less than the dealer offered installs. The application is acceptable with very little "orange-peel", and only at a few of the sharper angles. The die cut applications do leave more edges, but I'm still satisified - perferring it to the "chipped paint" look.

I also had the X-Pel headlight and front turn signals covered too. There is some debate as to cover the headlights or not. I decided to cover them. The clear bra has already taken a hit on the lower lip and protected the paint.
Old 09-04-2006 | 10:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ask your dealer about the spray on clear bra (currently being deployed by PPG...and some others as well).
It is essentially a sprayed on/layered (~1 mil at a time) modified clearcoat, which is then baked on for about 6 hours.
It can be applied to any/all of the car, just depends on masking.
It does not allow for wax to be trapped under the edges, no lifting, comes with a 4-5 year replacement warranty and can simply be wetsanded off/down (just like clear) in the event of paint/bodywork needing to be applied.
I had it applied to my 06 Ford Escape Hybrid, which was used as a 'guinea pig'. I was pretty impressed with the results.
Old 09-04-2006 | 11:18 AM
emmros
Instructor

My friend had a Kleeman kit installed onto his E55 and decided to go with the spray on stuff. Months later he hit a small cardboard on the freeway and it scraped up the hood and bumper. The bodyshop that put it on couldn't fix the scrapes nor could they bondo it and paint. Well short story, he had to have the paint on his hood and bumper stripped down to the metal and repainted. Costed $5000 to do it since Mercedes new nano-paint is so expensive to respray.
Old 09-04-2006 | 12:21 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

A spray on clear bra, wow that sounds scary to me. I have the 3M clear bra and all my cars and love it. NJnewbie I just sent you a PM.
Old 09-04-2006 | 01:53 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

drive out to mineola to Matt Zakarian at Detailing Dynamics. They do the full sheet deal. (No relation, paid a bunch, liked the result).
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MHC2S
A spray on clear bra, wow that sounds scary to me. I have the 3M clear bra and all my cars and love it.
Not really scary, just an alternative. Many people don't care for the 3M applications, as the edges eventually begin to lift a bit and attract wax, dirt, etc.
Just putting forward an alternative.
Old 09-04-2006 | 08:12 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Lewis, At which dealer did you get the spray bra??
Old 09-05-2006 | 12:57 AM
kcl
Instructor

Originally Posted by emmros
My friend had a Kleeman kit installed onto his E55 and decided to go with the spray on stuff. Months later he hit a small cardboard on the freeway and it scraped up the hood and bumper. The bodyshop that put it on couldn't fix the scrapes nor could they bondo it and paint. Well short story, he had to have the paint on his hood and bumper stripped down to the metal and repainted. Costed $5000 to do it since Mercedes new nano-paint is so expensive to respray.
Ouch!!! I'd rather live with the rock chips than to have a permanent spray on my OE paint.
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:53 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For those in San Diego / Orange County, we will be making a quick 3 day trip for installations between Sept 28-30. Please contact us at sales@premiermobilegroup.com for more information.
Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

Old 09-20-2006 | 06:58 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

I live in NJ and had mine done by Nelson at Clear Image. He is in Fairlawn and will come to you. His number is 973-207-7000. Tell him Craig from Towne Cadillac sent you. His work is truly amazing.

Craig
Old 09-20-2006 | 07:03 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
I live in NJ and had mine done by Nelson at Clear Image. He is in Fairlawn and will come to you. His number is 973-207-7000. Tell him Craig from Towne Cadillac sent you. His work is truly amazing.

Craig

The post is 3 weeks old, I tried PMing the guy, but he must have had it done by now.

Quick Reply: NJ Clearbra Recommendation Needed