Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice from the experts

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

flywheels could warp............could yes do they not really.....................those dual mass flywheels are stout, they are heavy (trust me they hurt when they fall on you) and they are thick, warping isnt so much an issue. The can get burned up and hotspoted, from poor technique and they can be damaged if the cluch fails
Old 09-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
It takes time to diagnose, how would you feel in your line of work if you did a whole days work and at the end of the day the customer decided he shouldnt have to pay and doesnt ( trust me it happens)
In my line of work, it happens quite often. I'll do a long emergency surgery, patient has no insurance, and no one pays for my work... but that's beside the point.

or you spend an extra hour or two diagnosing a car figuing the customer will buy the repairs and you can break even but instead he declines them, pays his 1 hour original estimate and goes down the street to joes garage to have them replace what we diagnosed
dealer gets screwed and the tech worked for free............ FREE.......... hes got a family to feed too
I would think the mechanics are hourly employees, so they get paid by the company no matter what. It's a matter of whether or not the company pays for the work using their warranty fund.

i can count on 3 fingers how many 9x6 flywheels ive replaced for dual mass problems.........ive probaly changed 30-40 for getting destroyed by poor driving technique.
What kind of poor driving techinique can destroy a flywheel? There seems to be some disagreement over this...

Thanks for your comments.

Jimmy
Old 09-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Once the trani is out, pressure plate removed and disc laid out, I believe the problem will be obvious-hopefully. One way or the other, your car's in for some work. Who pays will be determined once the parts are out. I will say I drive my car hard, slipping the clutch and sliding the rear all over the place. If they told me that there was a clutch problem, I wouldn't be surprised. These cars are so much tougher than most give them credit for. I have so much fun with it, I would consider it a cost of having fun. If you're not hard on it, then I would be very interested in what they find. I can't add any more to this, so wish you the best of luck.
Thanks very much for taking the extra time to help me with my problem. There's no problem at all with the clutch-no slippage, no sticking... I'll probably have to put up the money up front to get it looked at. If they can't diagnose the problem, I'm still out $1200 without an answer. I'll post the diagnosis once I figure it out.

Jimmy
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Theres only 2 porxche dealers in the country that pay their techs hourly, that i know of, flat rate is a win win situation you only pay your guys who work, and really they make their own check so if u have lazy employess they cost you nothing.

poor technique, slipping the clutch, riding the clucth, it gets hot its gonna cause more wear to the disc. in reality theres nothing wrong with the flywheel itself mechaniclay , but the surface is destroyed. But the friction disc is gonna be destoryed at that point so it wont be just the flywheel damaged by poor technique

In my opinion theres verly little that could make that noise and not be covered by warrenty.
Also in my opinion (I havent driven the car so i cant say for sure maybe theres something obvious to the dealer) they should just pony up and pull the trans. I would take it to another dealer
Old 09-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
...they should just pony up and pull the trans. I would take it to another dealer
Absolutely. Whatever the underlying problem is, it should be covered by your warranty unless they can prove that the damage was due to abuse (which the OBDII port will tell them).

Quick Reply: Need advice from the experts