Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you know how to reset the ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
MCoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you know how to reset the ECU?

Does anyone know how to do this in the Porsches. MB and BMW have a trick for this. Anyone has tried it?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not sure I understand..reset the ECU? Do you want to clear codes (ABS, PCM, CEL...) If so it depends on the code. Some can only be reset with a PST2, but many can be "reset" by disconnecting the battery for some time (like 10 minutes). Provided the cause of the code is rectified otherwise they will come back.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
MCoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is my reasoning. As you know new generation vehicles have what we call adaptive ECU, meaning the car adapts itself to your driving style. Since we have a tendency to baby the cars during the break-in period the ECU will have a different mapping than if let say you drove the hell out of it. So now the car has been broken in properly, I wonder if by resetting the ECU, you will not get an extra ooomph out of the car.

This is often done on MB E55 or I had done it to me bimmer and the car feels much better and feels like it had just gotten a tune up.

I just want to experiment and report back to everyone.

On Bimmers and MBs there is a sequence with ignition key and throttle you go through and takes less than 5 min.

Quick Reply: Do you know how to reset the ECU?