Sponsored by:

PSE Operation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:18 PM
DTMELM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE Operation...

I just had PSE added to our '06 997. We don't have the sport chrono so they had to add the switch.

My question is that it appears that the PSE comes "on" (louder) when the switch light is lit which for some reason seems to be opposite of all the other switch charactoristics...Was looking for someone to tell me how their switch operates.

Finally, it appears that other than the "always on" hack, there doesn't appear to be a hack to override the speed shutoff (the 996 mod won't work on the 997)? I would like it on but my wife likes the ability to shut it off so the "always on" hack won't work...

Thanks for helping!

D.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

yours sounds like it is operating as designed.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 PM
axel6
Advanced

On my 996, the exhaust is on (loud) with the light off. The car came with this option from the factory, so I assume it's wired correctly.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 PM
DTMELM
Track Day

Hmmm...

DrDrizl says "light on = loud" and axel6 says "light off = loud".

Any other 997'rs out there that can share how theirs works?

Thanks!
D.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 PM
birdman
Instructor

My PSE was installed as a factory option on my '06 997 non-S Carrera w/o sport chrono.
Light on = loud
Light off = quiet (stealth)
Foot to the floor = chills up my spine either way!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMELM
Hmmm...

DrDrizl says "light on = loud" and axel6 says "light off = loud".

Any other 997'rs out there that can share how theirs works?

Thanks!
D.
Factory installed PSE on 997S - when sport button is pushed, light comes on and PSE is ON.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 PM
DTMELM
Track Day

Originally Posted by birdman
My PSE was installed as a factory option on my '06 997 non-S Carrera w/o sport chrono.
Light on = loud
Light off = quiet (stealth)
Foot to the floor = chills up my spine either way!!
Thanks Birdman....Last question (I promise)...So does your switch "remember" it's position or does it always default to "off" (quiet) when you restart the engine?

I am lovin' in...Funny thing is my wife thought it sounded great and she actually had it OFF!

D.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

I have a copy of the Tech. info. installation manual.

The light on the switch depends on the model year .

For '05 , and cars without chrono ( exh.pipe symbol on switch ) the switch light is ON when activating the ignition ( quiet ) mode and goes OUT when PSE is activated.

For '06 , it's the reverse. The light goes ON when PSE is activated.

For '05 and '06 cars with chrono ( sport ) switch , the diode lights up when "sport" mode ( and PSE)
is activated .
Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PSE-equipped 06 C2S (no chrono) operates in loud mode with light off and normal with light on. As an aside, I finally disconnected the PSE cable in the engine compartment and fell in love with the car all over again. I won't be reconnecting the cable anytime soon as the exhaust note throughout the entire rev range sounds so f'in awesome.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:02 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Originally Posted by Frino
My PSE-equipped 06 C2S (no chrono) operates in loud mode with light off and normal with light on. As an aside, I finally disconnected the PSE cable in the engine compartment and fell in love with the car all over again. I won't be reconnecting the cable anytime soon as the exhaust note throughout the entire rev range sounds so f'in awesome.

DITTO
Old 09-01-2006, 12:49 PM
birdman
Instructor

Thanks Birdman....Last question (I promise)...So does your switch "remember" it's position or does it always default to "off" (quiet) when you restart the engine?

I am lovin' in...Funny thing is my wife thought it sounded great and she actually had it OFF!

D.
My PSE defaults to quiet mode, light off, each time the car is started.
('06 997, factory installation, non-S w/o sport chrono)
Old 09-01-2006, 01:40 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by birdman
My PSE defaults to quiet mode, light off, each time the car is started.
('06 997, factory installation, non-S w/o sport chrono)
Seems to be an inconsistency in the responses for the 06 models- Frino and P-Nuts have PSE with no chrono and they say "loud with light off" while Birdman has PSE with no chrono and he says "quiet with light off". All I can confirm is that with chrono, my PSE is on (loud) when the Sport switch is pushed and light does illuminate. Also, Sport mode defaults to off on shutdown so PSE (or Sport) has to be turned on with every start.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
DTMELM
Track Day

Default Thanks...

Thanks to all who replied...Seems that with PSE online (not sport), default is light off/quiet mode and light on equals load mode.

Too bad that the 996 relay hack won't work on the 997 as I'd love to be able to override the speed constraint. I know I could run a seperate wire/switch that would essentially disable the PSE (full time enable of LOUD) but frankly, I'm a little hesitant to start tearing things apart to run the wire and switch and such. Ah well...

D.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:36 PM
birdman
Instructor

My selling dealer has performed several relay hacks on the 997 PSE, it can be done.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Thanks to all who replied...Seems that with PSE online (not sport), default is light off/quiet mode and light on equals load mode.

Too bad that the 996 relay hack won't work on the 997 as I'd love to be able to override the speed constraint. I know I could run a seperate wire/switch that would essentially disable the PSE (full time enable of LOUD) but frankly, I'm a little hesitant to start tearing things apart to run the wire and switch and such. Ah well...

D.

I have an '05 997 S and my light ( dual exh. pipe switch ) is normally on and goes out when I switch on PSE.

I installed a switch in the wire controlling the solenoid valve and installed it in the center console ashtray .
In one position the system operates per factory design, in the other PSE is always ON. It works great .

Last edited by Rolf Stumberger; 03-17-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: PSE Operation...