Sponsored by:

Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 PM
billco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Covers

If you could have any "outdoor" carcover for your Porsche, which one would you select?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:49 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Any outdoor car cover? I'd choose an air-conditioned garage.

Car covers, in my experience, are bulky, difficult to deal with, dusty, cause light scratches, ugly, draw attention, and are difficult to secure. The only real protection they offer, as I see it, is from bird poop.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

What are you trying to protect it from? If it's just the sun, then go with the "sunbrella" material from Covercraft (many resell them, e.g., Griot's). If it's water, then you'll need something like the Evolution 3 material.

The car will need to be very clean to use them, keep in mind.

There's no subsitute for a garage (not easy for most to swing at work).

Jim
Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car cover are excellent for water, sun, dropping. a silverguard cover is easy to use and light to put on. Noah and evolution 4 offer more protection against elements and dings.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Car covers are a pain in the rear end; however, I recommend that if you have a garage don't use the car cover. With time it will eventually cause scratches in the paint. Anyway, you'll grow tire of using the car cover... I brought a car cover and used it 5x and sold it on e-bay. If your P-car is not garage, cover it, but make certain the exterior is clean. If the exterior is dirty, the sand acts like sandpaper against the paint and will eventually contaminate the car cover.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:47 AM
MCoupe
Instructor

I thought the Porsche indoor car cover was designed not to damage the car and was soft enough to use int he garage? Anyone using it?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:12 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

I used the Porsche cover and after 5X of use sold it! Too much work and risk... it sucks having to cover the car on your own... I love to seat in my garage with a beer or friends and look at my cars... The P-car cover is soft, however, trapped contaminates between the cover and the paint is what will do you in... No way can you use the cover on a dirty car...
Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Everyone is different on usage of covers. Some things to consider.

(1) If a cabriolet let one that doesn't shed lint.

(2) Are you going to be in messy weather, e.g., rain, snow? Consider whether you want it to breathe.

(3) They are only best used on a fundamentally clean car to start with. Over time a lighter car will show less impact by its use.

I used a simple cotton drill one for many years for a coupe. I have a poly one now for the cabriolet,--no lint. Getting into the habit of putting it on and off is not that hard. Many come with tel-tale labels, etc, to help you identify the front, etc.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Car Covers....
You'll use it a few times then stop since they are a bit of a PITA....
thats my take
Old 08-30-2006, 06:22 PM
billco
Instructor

I garage the car when at home. I use the soft Porsche cover when I have just washed the car and will not be driving it for a while (not a daily driver). What I was thinking of, was covering the car when I go somewhere overnight. For some reason I just feel better when it is not exposed to bird crap, pine dust, etc.

I was hopeful to get a few responses as to brands and models others have used and whether or not they liked them. For example, I purchased the Porsche outdoor cover but the laniard that you put in the trunk to keep it from getting stolen, fell appart after one washing. Other than that, it's a really slick design. It folds up into itself for storage. Pretty slick. It also has a couple of "darts" that you stick on the windshield, then you simply unfold the thing and it is in the proper confifuration for installation. Has anyone else used this cover and is the locking mechanism holding up? Thanks.l
Old 08-30-2006, 08:45 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Hmm, doesn't seem like people have very favorable opinions of car covers. I guess I'm in the minority. I garage the car year round, but don't drive it in the winter. So around late fall I plug in the trickle charger, and cover it until spring.

I used the Porsche indoor car cover last winter when I had my Boxster S and I thought it was a great cover. Lightweight soft stretch, perfect for indoor storage. No problems with lint on the cabrio top either. I still have the cover if anyone is interested drop me a PM. I'll certianly be ordering a new Porsche indoor cover for my C2 this winter.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:40 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cr2000
Hmm, doesn't seem like people have very favorable opinions of car covers. I guess I'm in the minority.
Not really. It's just that this topic has been beat to death so many times that those of us who use a car cover - the silent majority - don't feel like chiming in again and again to state our preference.

I use my DustTop indoor cover all the time. During the week my car is covered while it sits in the garage. I always use it and never get tired of using it. When I used to park my 300ZX outdoors I covered it every single day while at work. Went through about 5 car covers during my ownership with that daily driver.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=car+covers

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=car+cover

Old 08-31-2006, 02:30 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Okay, I'll jump in here, I am on a roll tonight anyway, so here goes:

I like the Porsche soft cover, and like another poster, I ONLY put it on the car when I just completed a wash and field glaze (detail spray and wipe). And I won't be driving it for a few days. Here's some photos

Old 09-01-2006, 12:18 AM
billco
Instructor

Since you seem to know just about everyting, maybe you could tell me why the search engine on this site works so poorly. You apparently live for this forum and have seen it all. Some of us casually visit and don't need condesending comments about not having searched before posting. Believe me, the first thing I did before posting my question was to click on "search" in the header bar, and key in "car cover". I got squat! Guide me, O' great one.

By the way I noticed that your first link actually shows "OCBen" asking the very same question about which car cover others like the best. I guess THAT was the first time the question had EVER been asked.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by billco
Since you seem to know just about everyting, maybe you could tell me why the search engine on this site works so poorly. You apparently live for this forum and have seen it all. Some of us casually visit and don't need condesending comments about not having searched before posting. Believe me, the first thing I did before posting my question was to click on "search" in the header bar, and key in "car cover". I got squat! Guide me, O' great one.

By the way I noticed that your first link actually shows "OCBen" asking the very same question about which car cover others like the best. I guess THAT was the first time the question had EVER been asked.

Don't let the "search enforcers" squelch your desire for answers! (What? Is there an ELECTRON size limit here??)

Quick Reply: Car Covers