Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick survey: "Hesitation" problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:55 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

The first hesitation happened a few months back with about 7k miles. I was in stop and go traffic and it just started hesitating in ever gear. The only way to keep he car moving was to ease the throttle down. The issue did not correct itself during the trip home. The car sat overnight and drove to the dealer the next morning and car was still doing it. I went for a ride along with the tech and the car was still doing it. No lights came on, no warning of any kind. No fault codes were registered. I picked the car back up later that day an have gone 2.5k miles until this past weekend when the car hesitated badly at full throttle past the 6k rpm level. I could repeat it in every gear, once the car hit 6krpm, the hesitation was immediate and profound unlike the other issue where the hesitation was very rhythmic and consistently on and off on and of. After the car sat for a few hours at home, the issue corrected itself and has not returned. I will have the first service completed soon and will ask them to check things out. Very odd.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
The first hesitation happened a few months back with about 7k miles. I was in stop and go traffic and it just started hesitating in ever gear. The only way to keep he car moving was to ease the throttle down. The issue did not correct itself during the trip home. The car sat overnight and drove to the dealer the next morning and car was still doing it. I went for a ride along with the tech and the car was still doing it. No lights came on, no warning of any kind. No fault codes were registered. I picked the car back up later that day an have gone 2.5k miles until this past weekend when the car hesitated badly at full throttle past the 6k rpm level. I could repeat it in every gear, once the car hit 6krpm, the hesitation was immediate and profound unlike the other issue where the hesitation was very rhythmic and consistently on and off on and of. After the car sat for a few hours at home, the issue corrected itself and has not returned. I will have the first service completed soon and will ask them to check things out. Very odd.
What did the tech have to say when he experienced the problem with you?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:06 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Odd. I've not experienced any thing like that on two 997s.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your check engine light on?
No lights came on. I wish I would have kept driving it knowing that sometimes it corrects itself. It might be the last nice w/e for top down driving here in SE PA and the car is sitting @ the dealer.

I'm glad I have the old girl to get me around for some fall foliage driving.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tony356993
No lights came on. I wish I would have kept driving it knowing that sometimes it corrects itself. It might be the last nice w/e for top down driving here in SE PA and the car is sitting @ the dealer.

I'm glad I have the old girl to get me around for some fall foliage driving.
Tony,

Up until yours and maybe one other post, it's been rather rare to have this issue replecated at the dealership let alone with the tech to witness this phenomenon; did he give any indication(s) of what could be the cause? Did he happen to mention if Porsche was aware this is somewhat of a common issue?

Last edited by 500; 10-14-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Up until yours and maybe one other post, it's been rather rare to have this issue replecated at the dealership let alone with the tech to witness this phenomenon; did he give any indication(s) of what could be the cause? Did he happen to mention if Porsche was aware this is somewhat of a common issue?
I showed up at the dealership at 3pm on a Friday so I did not get a lot of time with the meachanic. He drove the car a few miles w/ PSM on and off and his initial reaction was something with the stability system. He thought the hesitation was a bit less with the PSM turned off. Maybe a sensor or something thinking the car was out of control and partially cutting off the power. I hope they can look at it on Monday.

Just before the hesitation began, I noticed on two consecutive right hand sweepers that the car seemed to be over-steering to the right. I'm a pretty decent driver and I usually don't foul up two consecutive turns. I thought I had just turned in a bit too early or too much but maybe there is a link to a PSM system or sensor failure. Maybe the car was trying to adjust to something that did not exist. I know it sounds funky but it is a thought.

The 356 does not have any of theses problems...........
Old 10-15-2006, 12:58 AM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 712 Likes on 393 Posts

the PSM system? I've heard of those systems kicking in like this when people change wheel/tire sizes, but not with stock sizes. But one part of this makes sense - no check engine light means no fault detected in the emission system sensors.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

? I've heard of those systems kicking in like this when people change wheel/tire sizes, but not with stock sizes
Stock wheels, stock car. Only 1 month old and 1010 miles. I would like PSE/Fabspeed though.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:15 AM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 712 Likes on 393 Posts

as crazy as this sounds - could you have a defective tire that has a diameter slightly different then the others?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tony356993
I showed up at the dealership at 3pm on a Friday so I did not get a lot of time with the meachanic. He drove the car a few miles w/ PSM on and off and his initial reaction was something with the stability system. He thought the hesitation was a bit less with the PSM turned off. Maybe a sensor or something thinking the car was out of control and partially cutting off the power. I hope they can look at it on Monday.

Just before the hesitation began, I noticed on two consecutive right hand sweepers that the car seemed to be over-steering to the right. I'm a pretty decent driver and I usually don't foul up two consecutive turns. I thought I had just turned in a bit too early or too much but maybe there is a link to a PSM system or sensor failure. Maybe the car was trying to adjust to something that did not exist. I know it sounds funky but it is a thought.

The 356 does not have any of theses problems...........
Thanks for the addl info. Looking forward to hearing the final diagnosis.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

I have 2500 miles on a C4 with no hesitation issues.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knock on wood, I've not had this problem. My car has been as reliable as the Acura's and Honda's I've owned in the past, which is much better than I expected.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Final Verdict" - Maybe

I spoke with my dealer today and they claim they inspected the car and the cars computer and PSM system and found no error codes. They visually inspected the vehicle and performed "the throttle body repair" and test drove the car on 3 seperate chances today and the car was fine.

I will pick up the car Tuesday and report back. Maybe this throttle body problem is hit or miss on cars.
I was not expecting Honda reliability, but my 40+ year old P-car requires less attention/1000 miles than this car so far.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:14 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry for the delay in posting a response. My dealer/tech was completely perplexed. There were no idiot lights on and no error codes came up on the diagnostic. I have a service visit this Friday and after the most recent throttle issue experienced the weekend before last, I am anxious to see if any fault codes come up. I will report back.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Sorry for the delay in posting a response. My dealer/tech was completely perplexed. There were no idiot lights on and no error codes came up on the diagnostic. I have a service visit this Friday and after the most recent throttle issue experienced the weekend before last, I am anxious to see if any fault codes come up. I will report back.
Thanks. In almost all cases there are never any codes/check engine lights, this was even the case on my 06 E55; so you were fortunate to have a tech witness this.

Quick Reply: Quick survey: "Hesitation" problem