Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a very simply question: do you want a manual or do you want an automatic? Don't expect a tiptronic to be a compromise between the two. The tiptronic is a torque converter based automatic, meaning: slow, soft shifts when the computer (not you) tells it to shift. Pressing the buttons on the steering wheel is no different than sliding the gear selector from 2 to 3 on any other automatic car. You get the same lag and soft shifts. This is not what belongs in a sports car and hence for me there is only 1 choice: a manual. I have dealt with a 35 mile commute in heavy traffic for 4 years and all the cars I have owned (about 11 with up to 4 at a time) have been manuals.

In reality, there are only 2 reasons when people buy automatics:
1. They don't know how to drive.
2. They don't like to drive.

Most of the time they try to twist it and say things like "I don't like to drive"...in traffic or "I am not very proficient"...using a clutch. You get the idea...should make your choice easier.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
LOL tom. Do a search on the topic. You'll find a plethora of opinions. I suggest you test drive a tip and manual the way you intend to drive your own car. That's the best advice I can think of.
I went to a Porsche PDE to test the car in manual and tip (call ahead to make sure they have one available). But that's me because I don't trust any one else's opinion on these matters. GOod luck
I think this might be the best advice ever given on the Tip vs Manual decision. Good job Eggplant.
It is perhaps THE most critical 'option' choice - so if you opt for the less common Tip, you better make sure you really like it.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the world isn't black or white, or in your eyes auto and manual. Some people don't want to engage and disengage a clutch 82 times in traffic to go home. If you live in SF, for example, try going up the hills daily in a stick shift in traffic, not good for clutch or mind.
Tiptronic not good enough for sport driving you say? Yes, it is slower and the one less gear does leave the gearing a little less desired. Still I managed 5 9.05 or less laps(best was 8.56.3) on the Ring with tiptronic, despite traffic on the track. To be fair I have a X51 engine. The shift buttons on the steering wheel, while admittedly a bit busy, allows the driver to shift with both hands on the wheel. And on the way back home, you can drive in chock a block traffic with a drink in your hand cause you don't need to have both hands free. And for the romantic, you don't have to let go of your lover's hand either.
Many people also have different cars for different uses. but the OP stated he doesn't go on the track often and wants to commute with it. Practicality is also an issue. The tiptronic will also drop 2 gears faster than a manual if you don't skip shift (be nice to those synchros) so acceleration will feel just as good.
The point is not everyone wants a manual to drive hard. For some, it's about having one less thing to do to enjoy left foot trail braking into a corner and getting on the throttle that tad bit earlier. I, for one, will probably not buy a manual car again. It's SMG,F1,DSG, PDK or whatever they'll call it. Like film, it's the beginning of the end of the manual transmission, long live the 4,5,6 speed.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:06 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default benefit of tips

getting bjs while driving on pch
Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by rayng
getting bjs while driving on pch
You mean you can't do that with a stick? Or are you saying you do it in traffic with many cars around? :P
Old 08-23-2006, 11:44 PM
AaronB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ringmeister
I can't imagine having a Porsche with anything but a manual. Automatics are for sedans and SUVs.
I agree. I'm planning on a C4 in the next few months - wouldn't even consider a tip. I don't know how to drive standard yet, but lessons are forthcoming...
www.shifters.ca
Curse my parents for never owning a manual car!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Present: 2007 Lexus RX 350 (automatic - new SUV)
Past: 1999 Mercedes ML 320 (automatic - old SUV)
Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Pressing the buttons on the steering wheel is no different than sliding the gear selector from 2 to 3 on any other automatic car. You get the same lag and soft shifts. In reality, there are only 2 reasons when people buy automatics:
You are soooo WRONG! The tip adapts to your driving style. In sport mode with the Tip in manual mode it shifts stronger. Yeah it could be better and more like a Ferrari F1 or BMW SMG but it is not all that bad as you make it out to be.
Another reason for some people to get a Tip is because like me they have had a leg amputated off and can no longer shift a manual transmission..... don;t be so closed minded to other peoples needs!!!!! I APALUDE car companies that have sports cars with some sort of automatic/paddle or button shift transmission. They give people like me a chance to experience a serious sports car.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by AaronB
I agree. I'm planning on a C4 in the next few months - wouldn't even consider a tip. I don't know how to drive standard yet, but lessons are forthcoming...
www.shifters.ca
Curse my parents for never owning a manual car!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Present: 2007 Lexus RX 350 (automatic - new SUV)
Past: 1999 Mercedes ML 320 (automatic - old SUV)
Maybe your parents weren't so retro?
That's interesting that there's a big manual school in toronto. Ingenuity hath no bounds.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 AM
dadams1598
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

For a weekend driver the manual is the only way to go......Real sports car feel
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera

In reality, there are only 2 reasons when people buy automatics:

Most of the time they try to twist it and say things like "I don't like to drive"...in traffic or "I am not very proficient"...using a clutch. You get the idea...should make your choice easier.
Way off base. I have a tip for medical reasons. Thank God they come and go, but when they come, I can't use my left foot for shifting. I can walk (limp) but couldn't apply the necessary pressure for shifting.

I LOVE to drive and have driven stick for over 1/2 my life. Shifting can be really fun...no doubt about it.

But sipping something from Starbucks while driving and not having to operate the clutch 100 times to go to the store is kind of nice too.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:35 AM
omeko3
Intermediate

TIP? who does that, seriosly?

get a real tranny
Old 08-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by omeko3

get a real tranny
If it were not desireable enough to consumers, Porsche would not offer it as an option.

There are enough of "us" that for whatever reason, (want/need Tip), Porsche provides it.

Last edited by Dariof; 08-24-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

get a real tranny
I would if Porsche would hurry up and make one. Their PDK is still a ways away.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:01 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

get a real tranny
Seriously there are many people like myself that are unable to push a clutch in due to medical reasons from damaged nerves in a foot to people like me that have lost a leg and cannot push a clutch....seriously I and many people are happy Porsche has a Tiptronic. I look at a Viper and they do not offer any type of manual so therefore I can not buy there car.

One thing I have learned about this forums there are some seriously RUDE and narrow minded people here!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Mdrums
Fortunately, the future is semiautomatic gearboxes. They are still working out the bugs but systems like DSG and SMG are doing fine. I mean to see how retro thinking is in the US, they offer a 6 speed manual for the M5 ONLY in the US. The ROW is all SMG. So don't fret... we'll catch up one day.

Quick Reply: Tip or Manual?