Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Where is that flat on your car? (Uk, others, pls reverse)
Flat is FRONT LEFT
14.71%
Flat is REAR LEFT
32.35%
Flat is FRONT RIGHT
11.76%
Flat is REAR RIGHT
52.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Flat Position

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

In the 5 years of owning a 996 (my 2001 and now my 2004) I've had all four corners go flat at some point. However, the rears are much more prevalent, maybe at a ratio of 3:1.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I think what we're seeing here is that the significantly wider tread found at the rear of the cars may be picking up more nasty stuff.

Also, I suspect for the average Porsche 997 that is routinely driven, the rear tread is thinner than the front,--also, more easily damaged by road debris. (As we all know by now that the wear rate is about 2:1 rears to fronts).
Old 08-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Question to those of you who had flats on your 997: How noticeable was the flat? I'm asking because I had a flat on my previous car (350Z) on the interstate, but did not notice it until the tire started to smoke.
Thanks, guys, but sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear. I'm wondering if anyone has DRIVEN their car with a flat? If yes, was it noticeable? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

Question to those of you who had flats on your 997: How noticeable was the flat? I'm asking because I had a flat on my previous car (350Z) on the interstate, but did not notice it until the tire started to smoke.
Happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I was planning to make a Costco run (for something frivolous of course) and the TPMS spewed out "FLAT TIRE" and I am think ya right, car looks OK to me. So the tire that was flat was the Right rear, and looking at it it may have looked slightly flatter, but the pressure was 11. Without the TPMS I would have been driving it around, and risking a blowout and damaging my rim. There was a screw about 2 inches from the edge, I quickly got the bicycle pump out and got it somewhat inflated to 20's and the drove to the gas station and filled it up (I did not drive very fast 45 mph perhaps), but had constant vigil on the TPMS. If I did not know I was down 15-20 PSI, I would NOT have noticed the low pressure/flat. Because of the low profile, I suspect that they may behave as run flats for a while.

I went by the Porsche dealership and was prompty told that they do not do flat repair and try Discount Tire. I went there, and of course they tell me it is too close to the side wall to repair (it was kind of close, but since this is my dialy driver, I do not need any future hassles, so I replaced it). I asked them if I should change out the other rear and he said there was no need to as there was plenty to tread left (I had 7500 on the odo, and he tells me there is 7000-8000 miles left). I guess that make me trust him (a tire guy telling me no need to change a tire). I paid an extra $65 for tire insurance. Maybe I'm a sucker, but there is plenty of construction all around where I live, and with the width of the tire, I suspect another incident can happen. Well worth the 'gamble'.

Also on a side note, any furture car I buy will have to have TPMS, I think it is an excellent feature.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one flat so far on my 06 C2S (right rear). Wouldn't have noticed it without TPMS. Slow leak due to nail in center tread resulting in only a 2lb reduction in pressure. Drove on it for a day or so until I could get it to dealer where it was replaced...$600 bill fully covered by my tire/wheel insurance. (insurance coverage was $800...covers wheels and tires for five years...check my prior threads for details).

I am now a big believer in TPMS...I roll with the TPMS "screen" up 24/7. Am ordering a separate set of TPMS sensors for my winter rims/tires. Sensors are about $100 each but well worth it.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

Well if a dispraportionate number of people have the Right rear going flat, it suggests that one should not drive to close to the sidewalk (or right lanes if multiple lanes are available).
Old 08-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Deven sees the point I'm trying to make. We need to be a lot more sensitive to all that garbage along the sides of roads. Rarely is there much to worry about IN the road,--hopefully the Ford Exhibition in front of you picked up all those nails!
Old 08-19-2006, 04:59 PM
birdman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

July, left rear flat while driving on the interstate in the 997 which felt like a strong sidewind was pushing the car to the right.
Today, right front flat while driving on the interstate in my BMW which generated a strong pull to the right through the steering wheel.
Road debris!!
TPMS is a must-have feature/option for my next car.

Quick Reply: Flat Position