Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first flat (if it's going to happen may as well happen here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts
Default My first flat (if it's going to happen may as well happen here)

backed the car out of the garage to wash it and noticed my front right is flat. guess a flat in the garage is the best place to get one! So, I've read a lot of threads here about spare tire (or lack thereof) but one thing I did not realize is that there is no lug wrench to remove the tire?! Am I missing something?

It would be much easier if I could have just used my floor jack, removed the tire and either gotten it fixed or ordered one from tirerack or similiar. Now, my car is being flat bedded tomorrow morning to the nearest dealer to have the flat repaired and pay, I'm guessing, much more for a tire than I should.

Boy, it must truly suck to get a flat in this car while out or on your way to something. Guess I should now seriously look into the spare setup that some here have gone with.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Why not hop on down to the auto parts store and buy a wrench and socket? Sure beats the alternative, especially if the car is sitting in your garage...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have the socket for the locking lug in the front boot, correct?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always carry a small air pump (plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet) in my car - this may/may not do the trick to get you to the dealer. Had it happen to me earlier this year, ran over something or other, tire was flat in the a.m., pumped it up and got to the dealer without much loss of air - slow leak though, obviously not a good choice if it won't get you to the dealer without killing your tire/rim.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:45 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

For that cost buy a can of fix a flat. Then you can drive your car to have the tire repaired, just let them know to remove the tire and clean out the fix a flat contents.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Weissy
Instructor

E55AMG I see you are on LI... I am in CT and drive to NYC every day and out to LI plenty of times a year. 19 inch wheels.... get used to it. I have had my car for a year and a half and have blown out 5 or 6 tires and two rims. These roads around here just aren't made for our cars. Now with that said do to the mild winter this year thankfully I have had almost no problems almost I say as I have lost one wheel do to derbies on the FDR. None the less this is a fact of life with this car around here so keep that roadside number handy and pay attention to those crappy parts of the road on the LIE!!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car has both a compressor and a fix a flat product. Read the manual.

Other option is to call Porsche roadside assistance.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Why the reluctance to use Porsche Roadside assistance? We paid for it's use.
Is a flat too minor?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Weissy: why not get 18s?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frino
Your car has both a compressor and a fix a flat product. Read the manual.

Other option is to call Porsche roadside assistance.
you'll notice in my original post that I called roadside and the car was being flatbedded to the dealer
Old 08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Weissy
E55AMG I see you are on LI... I am in CT and drive to NYC every day and out to LI plenty of times a year. 19 inch wheels.... get used to it. I have had my car for a year and a half and have blown out 5 or 6 tires and two rims. These roads around here just aren't made for our cars. Now with that said do to the mild winter this year thankfully I have had almost no problems almost I say as I have lost one wheel do to derbies on the FDR. None the less this is a fact of life with this car around here so keep that roadside number handy and pay attention to those crappy parts of the road on the LIE!!
Yes, these roads suck around here. Fortunately i've been lucky even when I had my E55. The car is not my daily driver so I can pick where I drive. No guarantees (obviously) but may improve my chances a bit.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Weissy
Instructor

I got one of the first 997's so 18's wernt available at the time nor was any other out of the box option. At this point it will cost me more money to switch them all out anyway. Plus I love the look and feel of those 19's!!!!!!! Just in this area around here blow outs are going to happen that's all. When this lease is up my next car will be a Porsche 997 most likely with 19 inch wheels
Old 08-17-2006, 02:17 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

dealer just called and said tire can be repaired. Anyone nervous about driving on a repaired tire (triple digit speeds?)
Old 08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that would like to carry a compressor with built-in runflat capability:

Continental Tire North America, Inc. is introducing the ContiComfortKit (CCK) to the North American replacement market. This run flat system is designed to temporarily seal a tire puncture and provide extended mobility up to 125 miles.

The ContiComfortKit comfortably restores mobility in a few easy steps. The kit is simply plugged into the powerpoint outlet; a flexible hose at the other end is connected to the valve of the flat tire. Once the sealant tank is flipped up, a twelve volt compressor re-inflates the tire at the push of a button and simultaneously fills the tire with a liquid sealant, which seals the puncture. As a result, the tire can be used at a maximum speed of 50 mph for up to 125 miles. Drivers can get to the nearest tire shop and do not rely on road side assistance. A built-in light allows for easy use even at night.
Pick one up from TIRE RACK for $79

Nice to have, as it covers all options in one 5 lb package

Chris.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Why the reluctance to use Porsche Roadside assistance? We paid for it's use.
Is a flat too minor?
- In most metropolitan areas, if you have enough air in the tire (or have the ability to take the wheel off, as in this case), you can have it patched/plugged at a tire store in 20 minutes. Calling upon Porsche Roadside Assistance to bring the car to the dealer is most likely an all-day affair.

- Any time a tow truck is used, you risk damage to your car.

- Porsche dealers will most likely try to sell you a new tire (at twice the price available on-line) rather than patch/plug a perfectly repairable tire. Once you're there, you don't have a choice.

Quick Reply: My first flat (if it's going to happen may as well happen here)