Sponsored by:

"Sport" button

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:12 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Sport" button

Can anyone tell me what exactly happens inside the engine to sharpen accelerator response when I push the 'sport' button? And if it's so good - and let's be sensible here, it is so good - why isn't the engine/CPU set to operating like this all the time?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A modified program is utilized for the
following systems in the “Sport” setting:
• Accelerator pedal characteristics
• High-speed cut-off
• Dash pot (load change damping)
• PSM (Porsche Stability Management)
• PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management)

It's about choices On or Off

Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
Can anyone tell me what exactly happens inside the engine to sharpen accelerator response when I push the 'sport' button? And if it's so good - and let's be sensible here, it is so good - why isn't the engine/CPU set to operating like this all the time?
Like most modern cars, the 997 has an electronic throttle; the 'sport' button remaps the throttle response...no changes inside the engine, and no adverse affects. Full throttle is full throttle no matter which setting is used.

Why isn't the response fixed in the 'sport' position? I haven't driven a Porsche equipped with 'sport' settings, but in my M3 the throttle response was too sensitive in 'sport' mode, especially on the track, where the default mode provided far more control when gently rolling on the throttle exiting turns.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
MJones and Alan are dead on, as usual. <g>

Let me add one thing: if you have Option XLF (Porsche Sport Exhaust) wired in the factory config, the muffler flaps will be under DME (engine management computer) control when Sport is "on".

Soft rev limiter removed, throttle tip-in accelerated (less pedal == more go), PSM on but "relaxed" - I think Ronmart quoted 18 degrees max yaw "permissable" in Sport mode.

I agree with you Draxa: on the street I'm _always_ in sport mode, but as Alan says, on the track, you may prefer the more linear response of the standard eGas settings (e.g. "Sport off").

Do you have XLF / PSE?

-don

Quick Reply: "Sport" button