Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 AM
JC 911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty anyone??

Has anyone bought an extended warranty for their P-Car? If so, who did you use or would you recommend?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:59 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I would go through Hennessy and use EasyCare (www.easycare.com). They are backed by Ford Motor Co.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=warranty

Last edited by gravedgr; 08-15-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:33 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link works:

http://www.easycare.com
Old 08-15-2006, 02:01 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ohsixx
This link works:

http://www.easycare.com
Thanks. Fixed my link.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Thanks. Fixed my link.
Have you used this company before and had good experiences? No problems with getting them to cover repairs? Thx.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:40 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

A lot of these 3rd party deals are real tough to make a claim on. I'd want some pretty solid proof that they pay up if I'm going to drop any coin on them, FWIW.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:23 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Have you used this company before and had good experiences? No problems with getting them to cover repairs? Thx.
I have not personally used them, as I sold my 996 before the warranty was up. However, I have heard only good things (anecdotal) and my dealer has used them for years without any issues.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:59 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the fine print... you'll be surprised on what is NOT covered (dependent on carrier). A good example is the Audi extended warranty (what a freaking joke). If the engine blows up you are covered, however, anything else goes wrong, you are screwed my friend. I am very curious to know what the extended warranty from the Porsche dealership will actually covers if it goes wrong. Does anyone know what they cover????????????
Old 08-15-2006, 06:45 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

I have had good luck with the GM Protection Plan; new engine and transmission on the same vehicle.

The warranty has about 45 days to go and I am going to take it in and tell them check it out!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
cr2000
Advanced

I looked into the AAA Warranties when I had my Boxster, but never bothered to follow through. You can get quotes here, with pretty detailed information on the different plans offered:

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/240/sne/finance/warranty2.html
Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Read the fine print... you'll be surprised on what is NOT covered (dependent on carrier). A good example is the Audi extended warranty (what a freaking joke). If the engine blows up you are covered, however, anything else goes wrong, you are screwed my friend. I am very curious to know what the extended warranty from the Porsche dealership will actually covers if it goes wrong. Does anyone know what they cover????????????
That's the advantage of Easy Care - instead of listing a short list of what is covered, they have a short list of what is NOT covered.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Well, I have both been a consumer of Ext Warrs, and a critic.

As a critic, I am an attorney and one of the guys in the local PCA club consulted me about a claim he had against a warranty company, which was pretty well regarded (in fact I had purchased one from them on a 99 Porsche 996, but sold the car just before the factory warranty expired, so never used their warranty and have no personal knowledge about their claim handling).

He had a Boxster, whose engine had absolutely grenaded. Little left of the case, lots of pictures, etc. He had gotten a new or rebuilt engine priced on the basis that he had a reusable core, otherwise there would be an additional core charge. The warranty company in fact paid him for the rebuilt engine, but not the core charge.

When he tried to get the warranty company to refund the difference between a rebuilt Boxster engine with no core, and a core (approx $2500 difference), they refused him. That's when he consulted me. We sent the warranty company pics and a long letter of explanation/demand, but they still refused to pay the difference, on the basis that they insured an engine which they bought, but did not insure a core charge.

We charged him very much less than the time we invested, but couldn't continue to do that indefinitely. No real affordable way to litigate this, and the warranty contract called for arbitration, so too expensive to use our service. We gave him instructions on how to prosecute it himself without us in arbitration, but he got busy in his day job and dropped the complaint.

They were 100% wrong, and I'm sure we could penalize them if we had enough at stake, but they relied on the reality that it was impractical for a consumer to fight them on such small dollars. If we had several (15-20+) of these cases to spread the cost/recovery we would probably consider taking them on a contingency. But time and expense are on the warranty company's side, and without a critical mass of complaints in the same jurisdiction, we couldn't justify continuing to fight.

Even so, I've since purchased an extended warranty on my wife's Cayenne S to take it to about 95k miles, and an extended warranty on my 997. But neither is sold by the company that screwed my friend and client. Hopefully, this warranty company will honor their commitments. If not, I'll deal with them on my own time and expense. Although I'm a corporate/real estate attorney, I have a license and can sue them on my own tab if necessary.

As is said in real estate, with which I'm eminently familiar, Caveat Emptor. Warranties are probably worth buying if you have a lawyer who only needs to charge $0 to take a case.

Good luck, and hope this helps you in your decision.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:19 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=lwilkins]
As is said in real estate, with which I'm eminently familiar, Caveat Emptor. Warranties are probably worth buying if you have a lawyer who only needs to charge $0 to take a case.

QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty anyone??