Sponsored by:

My twins 1st Porsche ride.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default My twins 1st Porsche ride.

This might sound strange to some of you but I bought my 06 997S Cab so I could take my 2 year old twin boys out driving in a convertable. It took awhile to find car sets that would work. Cabs have no rear latch system so you need to use the seat belts to secure them. I finally found seat that would fit made by Graco. We went for our first ride yesterday. For anyone considering this here is the scoop. I removed the bottom seat cushion, they fit better that way. There is not much room once a child is in the seats I had to move my seat up to the point I could drive but it is was not a comfortable as I would like. I am only 5'8" so anyone tall no way. The seats cover the rear speaker too, so you do loose quite a bit of sound quality. Those things are minor and easily overlooked after seeing the smiles on my boys faces.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics???
Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i take my 21 months old in my cayman 2-3x a week to day car. this is the ony car she would behave herself in and sit quietly with a smile on her face.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post!

Am just considering the pros and cons of ordering a cab instead of a coupe bodied 997S.

Am trading an SL500 for it and wanted to share the convertible with wife and infant daughter, but it sounds like this isn't the most appropriate car for it if we want to do so.

Wife prefers the more "conventional" body of an M3 convertible (must have manual transmission) if we go this route.

It's true that having a kid really changes your life, and she is only 4 months old!!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rkao
Thanks for the post!

....It's true that having a kid really changes your life, and she is only 4 months old!!
You haven't noticed anything different? For me with a 4 and 2 years old, they cut into my driving time. Instead of using my Cab as a daily driver I have to take the minivan to drop them off to school/ daycare (it's on my way to work).
Old 08-14-2006, 06:47 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
You haven't noticed anything different? For me with a 4 and 2 years old, they cut into my driving time. Instead of using my Cab as a daily driver I have to take the minivan to drop them off to school/ daycare (it's on my way to work).
Doesn't slow me down at all. I take my 4 y/o daughter and 1 y/o son to school and sitter just about every morning. Mom can fit in too, so this is quite the "family car"! That's one of the beauties of Porsches - that back seat comes in real handy for kids!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for sharing,--but you know that you have absolutely ruined the future lives of those two boys! They will never be satisfied with something less!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

Twins? You should have gotten a twin turbo!
Glad you figured out a way to take the boyz cruising.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Britax Roundabout with a rolled up towel underneath to fill the gap. Having the seat cushion in is actually better because the carpet is slippery. This config worked great for me, but my daughter isn't a big fan of the top being open when it is less than 80!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I take my 7 year old everywhere in my cab.

She loves the car, and I am always getting comments like, "Daddy, can you put it in sports mode," or "Daddy, go fast."

The other day my other half and our daughter took a very spirited trip to the mountains. Top down, cool air, great trip. The 150 miles went by like it was just a short trip to the local store.

This is a very comfortable car. We are all taking it to California this weekend.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
I used the Britax Roundabout with a rolled up towel underneath to fill the gap. Having the seat cushion in is actually better because the carpet is slippery. This config worked great for me, but my daughter isn't a big fan of the top being open when it is less than 80!
80mph right?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronmart
I have the sane problem with my daughter! But, I did ride in the back of a rented convertible we had while on vacation, and it got pretty windy back there.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Of course I've noticed the difference, like when we no longer have a schedule, just a suggested time for departure/arrival and we try our best to hit it!

Which is also why I'm considering a 997S cab insteard of something more mundane because we'll need to make up time when getting somewhere!
Old 08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
snip...Cabs have no rear latch system so you need to use the seat belts to secure them...snip
Does that mean the coupe body has the LATCH system in the rear seat?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:30 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rkao
Does that mean the coupe body has the LATCH system in the rear seat?
The coupe has a single bracket on the shelf behind the rear seats (hidden under the carpet), but not the two brackets at the base of the seat.

Quick Reply: My twins 1st Porsche ride.