Sponsored by:

Flapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 PM
MMA93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapping noise

Picked up my carrara white/black couple 2 weeks back. Only two things that bug me about the car. One the phone module and two a flapping noise. About 20 miles from the dealer on I-35 heading home I started to hear a flapping noise in the right front area. It's difficult to describe but it kind of sounds like a piece of tire flapping in the tire well and sometimes all the way back to the passenger seat, almost like when you get a flat. Anybody experience anything similar?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

I thought you were going to get banned with a subject line like that.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

speed over 65mph with crosswinds usually will get this sound in my car. i've read posts on various forums about this. i'm not sure what the best fix is but i have heard of people getting the aerodynamic pieces under the car mounted more securely. i have chosen to ignore mine for now.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:22 AM
micgreeny
Instructor

my car does the same thing, live with it for now as it's only happened once in 3,000 miles.----------mike
Old 08-08-2006, 03:53 PM
ds2k1
Racer

This site never ceases to amaze me. I've noticed the same thing with my car at speeds in excess of 75 with high x-wind. I first noticed it on about 5-6 instances on interstate 5 from L.A. to San Francisco. I pulled over on two different occasions on that trip to try to find the source of the noise. Both times to no avail. First, I thought it was a tire flap hitting the wheel well, but tires were fine. Then, I had assumed that something got stuck under the car and was flapping around, but not so. I've heard it twice since that trip, both times in very windy conditions and at higher speeds. As the other posters have suggested, I'd ignore it. Doesn't seem to cause anything else to happen and it's so infrequent. But I AM glad to know that others have experienced the same thing.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Why ignore the problem especially if it can be easily replicated for the service dept. to fix
Old 08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MMA93
It's difficult to describe but it kind of sounds like a piece of tire flapping in the tire well and sometimes all the way back to the passenger seat, almost like when you get a flat. Anybody experience anything similar?
Wow, flippin' A! Never heard of this!

To help isolate the source, does the frequency of the flapping noise vary as the speed? If something was caught on your wheel and hitting the inside of your wheel well you would expect the frequency of the flapping to vary as your speed, so that when you slow down and come to a stop so will the flapping.

But I suspect that it might be aerodynamic in nature, seeing that others have experienced this phenomenon as well. Kind of like that aerodynamic "thumping" you hear when you have the sunroof partially open and are travelling within a certain speed range.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I find that if you drive across the Mojave Desert at night the number of jackrabbits sitting at the side of the left lane increases as a function of your speed. Within just a few miles you can ATTEMPT to miss them but you will always nail them, and that concoction accumulating on the bottom of the car with successfully dampen any harmonics that you might have developed on the underbody enclosure plates.

Everyone's individual efforts will result in different dampening.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan, I can't believe you said that with a straight face.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
tkids
Pro

You are not alone. I just posted this topic on another site! Forgot to post it here. I have had two attempts in fixing it! It is the plastic housing underneath. Firstly, one P dealer tried a single screw, didn't work. Yesterday Pdealer #2 had another car before mine with the same problem. Porsche instructed them to use Porsche supplied Velcro (It has a P Part number!) where the plastic housing connects. I have yet to find strong crosswinds, but it worked on the car before mine! Hope this helps out!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Why ignore the problem especially if it can be easily replicated for the service dept. to fix
I'll ignore it until I need to have other work done. I would be rather out driving my car. Hopefully by then there will be a repair technique that will be more likely to last. I am not to keen on back to the dealer several times while they "learn" how to repair this particular problem.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:23 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I find that if you drive across the Mojave Desert at night the number of jackrabbits sitting at the side of the left lane increases as a function of your speed. Within just a few miles you can ATTEMPT to miss them but you will always nail them, and that concoction accumulating on the bottom of the car with successfully dampen any harmonics that you might have developed on the underbody enclosure plates.

Everyone's individual efforts will result in different dampening.
I've experienced this phenomenon with squirrels as well. PCNA claimed it was "by design because those little f**ker's just don't realize that a Porsche is NOT a Buick so they can't wait to the last second and expect to dodge the wheel."

I confirmed this when one of the little buggers met his demise on my front 235 and was flattened by my rear 305.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought it might be Dave complaining about a "flapping noise" when he drove with the windows down while wearing shorts!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=11
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Holli82
I am not to keen on back to the dealer several times while they "learn" how to repair this particular problem.
Didn't realize it was so difficult for them to repair properly but since that's the case I don't blame you.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:46 PM
mdonline
Instructor

I experienced the same problem in the left front. AFter multiple visits to the dealer, we found out that it was a defective seal in the side mirror. The noise initially seemed like it came from the front, then to the back, then to the winshield.

I would tape wrap all your side mirror to see if the noise would disappear. If it does, you have your answer.

May be a long shot but the solution is quiet simple.

Quick Reply: Flapping noise