Sponsored by:

C4S in the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4S in the rain...

In the western burbs of Chicago, we got about an inch and a quarter of rain last night. It was still coming down pretty well when I hit my garage this am, so I grabbed the BMW keys and... oh crap - my kid's truck had the Bimmer parked in.

Hmmmm, the Porsche is pretty dirty - why not drive it? It needs a bath anyway... guys, this isn't the first time the 911 has gotten wet, but I keep it generally spotless, and I'm lazy, so - if the Porsche is clean, and it's nasty out, the Bimmer goes to work.

But not today. OMG - this car is phenomenal in the wet! Granted, my PS2s have only 3400 miles on them, so I still have _some_ tread left <g> - but I still can't believe how effortlessly the car accelerates, turns and brakes on wet roads. <about now, some of you are saying... "D'oh!" - I apologize for being naive...>

New rule: as long as there's no potential for hail - Porsche gets rain duty. I can't wait to see what she's like on winter tires...

I love my car,

-don
Old 08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
idrachman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Wanted to take a trip with the wife for a few days. Drove from NYC to Cape Cod in driving rain in my C4S. Merrit parkway, I95, etc. no problem driving 70+. Car just eats up the road, especially on turns. Loved it.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
TripleInboard
Advanced

I drive my C2 in all conditions, and I too have found it to be a remarkably capable car in adverse situations. My car is running the Pzeros w/ about 50% of the tread left.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:07 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
In the western burbs of Chicago, we got about an inch and a quarter of rain last night. It was still coming down pretty well when I hit my garage this am, so I grabbed the BMW keys and... oh crap - my kid's truck had the Bimmer parked in.

Hmmmm, the Porsche is pretty dirty - why not drive it? It needs a bath anyway... guys, this isn't the first time the 911 has gotten wet, but I keep it generally spotless, and I'm lazy, so - if the Porsche is clean, and it's nasty out, the Bimmer goes to work.

But not today. OMG - this car is phenomenal in the wet! Granted, my PS2s have only 3400 miles on them, so I still have _some_ tread left <g> - but I still can't believe how effortlessly the car accelerates, turns and brakes on wet roads. <about now, some of you are saying... "D'oh!" - I apologize for being naive...>

New rule: as long as there's no potential for hail - Porsche gets rain duty. I can't wait to see what she's like on winter tires...

I love my car,

-don
Oh I know. I was AMAZED the first time I got caught in the rain. I was taking a hard left from a stop after a hard rain had just started on dusty roads (it had been dry for 3 weeks). I nailed it because i was annoyed I was caught in the rain with a freshly detailed car (which had never seen rain before by that point). My thought (and sorta my goal) was to get some rear wheel spin and wag the back end (because all assists were off and sport mode was on). Instead I tattooed the back of my head with a Porsche Crest because it just dug and launched. No spin and massive grip.

My second rain was a super hard one and I was going home on a 2 lane highway that I typically travel 70 mph on until I run into a slow poke and then I generally pass them at 100 - 120. Despite super hard rain, this car laughed at the water. Places where I've hydroplaned my other vehicles were no match for the PS2's and it just cut through the water like a hot knife through butter. I was so impressed.

Honestly, that experience made me love this car more than anything I've done yet (well except the first track day ). It was my first "bonding" experience with my new car.

I actually took my car to work intentionally a few weeks ago because I knew I'd get to drive home in the rain. It is that fun! (of course like your situation, the car was already dirty ).

Old 08-04-2006, 01:19 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronmart
I actually took my car to work intentionally a few weeks ago because I knew I'd get to drive home in the rain. It is that fun! (of course like your situation, the car was already dirty ).

I knew we'd eventually get you off of that "clean streak" you were on, Ron!

Actually, washing it is so much fun, that I enjoy making the car dirty. WTF is up with that? <g>
Old 08-04-2006, 02:15 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
I knew we'd eventually get you off of that "clean streak" you were on, Ron!

Actually, washing it is so much fun, that I enjoy making the car dirty. WTF is up with that? <g>
It is the beauty and seductive nature of the C4s body. She's a beauty so it is as fun washing her curves as it would be a woman with equally beautiful curves (okay, maybe I'm going overboard, but you get the idea).
Old 08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Within a couple of days of picking up my Carrera S cab it rained in Bavaria. Lots of rain. Handled beautifully! The tricks they have done in even the 2WD set up are a vast improvement over the old days of a straight 911.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 241 Posts

The traction is unreal in the wet. One day in the pouring rain I ran 155 with my wife in the car,...even she was impressed with the stability,...and the ensuing hard braking.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

....where is the 'green with envy' smilie?

At least we have our Audi with Quattro...not the same....except for the AWD.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:35 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Coochas
The traction is unreal in the wet. One day in the pouring rain I ran 155 with my wife in the car,...even she was impressed with the stability,...and the ensuing hard braking.
That's nuts!

That's why you got Speed Yellow huh Dave, it's to match your brass *****!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
That's nuts!

That's why you got Speed Yellow huh Dave, it's to match your brass *****!
You can see what this car has done for my manhood (thanks again icon):
Old 08-05-2006, 05:10 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Dave! You must be Tom Jones in disguise! <g>

-d
Old 08-05-2006, 05:27 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine up in the serious twisties for the first time yesterday. Just incredible... and this is after putting 16,000 miles on a 997 C2S. I put the whip to her and she just tore it up.

There is one particular place, entering a highway from a dead stop, across on coming traffic that goes up hill then drops away quickly all while turning left... the rears on the C2S used to break loose but the rears on the C4S just ate it up! No slip, chirps, or throttle off... just "rippppppppppp', shift, 'rippppppppp', shift.

This C4S is something else. And the power kit gives me a woodie.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:14 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with 4 blizzak snow tires, my 996 C4S is the best winter car I have ever had! great fun to see the look on other drivers when the light changes and I pull away from SUV's
Old 08-05-2006, 06:19 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Mal, which Blizzaks do you have?

Quick Reply: C4S in the rain...