Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Paint blemish! What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get it fixed when the winter time rolls around and you're not using it. Oh, and just before it comes off warranty.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Can you post a picture? I've seen factory paint blemishs before on many cars - paint ripple, dribble marks, discoloration, etc. It really depends what it looks like as to whether or not it's worth fixing.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Try for some other form of compensation -- X number of free oil changes, first major service free, etc.

They don't build 'em like they used to.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cr2000
Can you post a picture? I've seen factory paint blemishs before on many cars - paint ripple, dribble marks, discoloration, etc. It really depends what it looks like as to whether or not it's worth fixing.
here's one we had on our GMC pickup that was REALLY confusing...
Black, looked like oil almost - under the clearcoat, on top of the paint, on the front bumper.
I still don't have any good excuse on how that could've gotten there!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

When Moe Mistry and I preped the car we discovered two very, very minor paint imperfections from the factory. I am going to live with it, no big deal. I think messing with it can be borrowing trouble because the results can be subjective, so I will let it be. Besides, they give the car some character! In actuality, you can barely see the imperfections, I would likely have to point them out to you.

Its almost impossible to keep the car perfect, so I just enjoy driving the car and caring for it the best I can. Life is too short.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Not that I've experienced this problem, but you did ask...

If it were me I'd have to evaluate the problem like this:

1) Is it an obvious flaw to the general public? Y=1, N=0
2) Is the flaw a bare metal issue? Y=1, N=0
3) Do I feel like I didn't get my $$$ worth with the imperfect paint job? Y=2, N=0

If you score 2 or more, then I would advise getting the paint fixed. Otherwise let it ride.

ymmv

Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

there is no perfect paint job. they all have blemishes somewhere. the question is whether or not you can find it. More it importantly does it bother you? After your first ding, scrape or scratch you care less about the blemish.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 AM
kcl
Instructor

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
When Moe Mistry and I preped the car we discovered two very, very minor paint imperfections from the factory. I am going to live with it, no big deal. I think messing with it can be borrowing trouble because the results can be subjective, so I will let it be. Besides, they give the car some character! In actuality, you can barely see the imperfections, I would likely have to point them out to you.

Its almost impossible to keep the car perfect, so I just enjoy driving the car and caring for it the best I can. Life is too short.
I agree. There really isn't anything in life that is perfect. Let it be and enjoy the car in good health.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint and other euro delivery issues

First, I too got my car euro delivered and I made them take it to fix. I have dirty marks in the car interior door and some blemishin in the paintwork on my 997S.
They fixed it all in 3 days. Was it a different car? Maybe, I didn't check the VIN and I didn't care.
It happens.

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
OT, how could one pick up a new 997 in Europe and not be able to exceed 4200 rpm for 2000 miles. It would just drive me nuts.
Chips it's very easy. Drive to Switzerland and you won't have to worry too much about going 4200.
Or drive to france and get caught in hellish traffic.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 AM
jfraser
Instructor

It's not a question of living with it, but more of a question of will the result be better (have less blemishes) than the original issue.....Since you haven't shown the fault, it's hard to say.

But if they are going to respray the rear quater panel (I presume with clearcoat) then to do that perfectly, they will have too remove the rear light, drop the rear bumper, pop the quarterpanel glass, replace the stone guard and remove the roof strip . There is nowhere to 'loose' a blend on the rear quarterpanel, so it actually means spraying the 'A' pillar, along the roof, down the 'C' pillar and the quarter panel.

...Why are they saying you need to spray the quarter, if the blemish is on the door? Anyways, the point that I'm trying to illustrate is that whilst they will undoubtedly sort out the blemish....if the workscope is big enough, you're bound to substitute one problem for another.

I see that you're in CA. If you are in LA, I would recommend Avio Coachworks (Pontius Ave) to do the work. But, I'd try every other technique available before having anything resprayed.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Hmm, this is a tough one. That's a very upsetting thing to have happen while at the same time you may be feeling a little uneasy about the purchase anyhow. It's your new expensive toy and you deserve perfection.
I say ask nicely for great compensation. Money has a way of making things better in cases like this. Then live with it. Cars deteriorate sooner or later. Your's is just a little ahead of the class.You have the car and it probably won't be your last so enjoy it for all it's worth. Don't let even one hair on your head turn grey over this or you will have lost too much.

Just my opinion, follow your heart.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Ask them to acknowledge it and if you can return in 1-2 years and have it fixed then. If they agree drive your car and wait for the rock chip and at that future date get the chip and blemish fixed. If they do not agree go with the 2 or more score system listed above.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:08 PM
tkids
Pro

Thanks everybody for your input! It is good to hear everybody's opinion on the matter.

Cheers!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:31 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Live with it! If you have an eye for detail and didn't notice it initially, it's very likely nobody else will. Besides, you may notice that factory blemishes and things like overspray, assembly marks, etc. are very desirable on original, unrestored classic cars.

Maybe one day, your car will win the Pebble Beach Concours with its original paint, replete with factory blemish!

MC

P.S., my car has a small paint run under the front lip of the hood. Oh the humanity!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:15 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the camp that says get it fixed or it will drive you nuts forever.

Don't worry about having it painted because if they don't do a good job, then keep complaining until they do it right. If they refuse to do it right, escalate it and insist on a new car.

Quick Reply: Factory Paint blemish! What would you do??