Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempting to install a child seat in the rear of my 997.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
birdymkr
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempting to install a child seat in the rear of my 997.

The issue I’m having is locating the tether anchor. From what I understand it should be located behind the bose speaker box (have the Bose system) but I’m unable to feel it under the carpet. Does anyone have experience solving this problem? My dealer has not been helpful with a solution and the manual shows the anchor to be in place.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If you are in the USA the cars do not have the anchors installed from the factory. You have to go to the dealer. There is a kit that includes the anchors as well as the air bag shut up switch,--all must be installed at the dealership.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you are in the USA the cars do not have the anchors installed from the factory. You have to go to the dealer. There is a kit that includes the anchors as well as the air bag shut up switch,--all must be installed at the dealership.
Wow, that sucks. My 2001 had the anchor and a perforated cutout in the carpet, all I had to do was cut with a carpet knife.

Of course my cab doesn't have it, so I don't know if the newer models have it.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:18 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. The Bose speaker "box" is in the way of the tether hook. My salesman knew that the rear carseat was critical for me when I ordered the car. When the car arrived, the problem was immediately apparent. I took the car back to the dealer (Champion in South Florida). They cut the carpet and a small hole in the Bose "box" to get access to the hook. It was completed in about 20 minutes while I waited. It looks great. You can't tell that there has been any modification. It was an easy fix and looks like it came from the factory that way. If your dealer doesn't know how to do it, have them call Champion.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 06 cab (I have to attach using seat belts), and have been looking for seat for my two year old twins. Trying to find ones that will fit back there. What did you buy?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:38 AM
stom_m3
Instructor

The rear ISO anchors are in the back under a small flap. The flap is already perforated showing the outline of where you will need to cut. Take a knife and cut the perforations around the flap to access the anchor. There is about 2 1/2" of foam you will have to cut through to completely release the flap.

Also I've removed both the seat back and bottom cushion to install my convertible Graco. This will provide an extra 3 inches of room to move the baby seat back and not have your kid rest his feet against the passenger chair. I use the 3 pt harness to go through the bottom opening (as opposed to the rear opening) of the child seat. Also pull the seat belt all of the way out to get the belt to continuously lock into place. Hope that's clear.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
CJC
Instructor

Hope this pic will help. Mine was pre cut and if you looked close enough you could just see it.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 12:11 AM
birdymkr
4th Gear

Thanks for the help. I knew there had to be a way to anchor the seat in properly. The seat I purchased is made by Recaro. It's the "Young Sport" model- I visited the Right Start and tried several in the back before settling on this one. It's not perfect but I think it will work.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
CJC
Instructor

I took the back of the back seat out in order to give my little guy an extra couple of inches of leg room.
I quess it all depends on your pasenger's height and if the baby seat stays in most of the time. At the same time I put a 1/2 inch foam cushion on the bottom seat pad to protect it rather than removing it and losing the height. Little people have to see out too!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
icruze
Racer

I know the latch kit for the front seat is a dealer installed option. Is the hook under the back carpet already there or does it need to be installed by the dealer too?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by icruze
I know the latch kit for the front seat is a dealer installed option. Is the hook under the back carpet already there or does it need to be installed by the dealer too?
The hook was back there already on my '06 CS. The carpet has a perforated line when it should be cut. You can use an Exacto knife or blade to cut through.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 PM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJC
I took the back of the back seat out in order to give my little guy an extra couple of inches of leg room.
I quess it all depends on your pasenger's height and if the baby seat stays in most of the time. At the same time I put a 1/2 inch foam cushion on the bottom seat pad to protect it rather than removing it and losing the height. Little people have to see out too!!!
CJC,

Could you please tell me how you got the rear seat back cushion out?

Thanks,

Andre
Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Can anyone tell me whether there are pre-installed anchors for the Cabriolets? It looks like the roll over bars prevent these from being installed.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a new-to-me 2009 c2 and getting the hook properly onto the back tether is quite a bear! In fact, using our old car seats from my wife’s car we could barely get them in, but somehow my wife was able to do it, I could not. It was such a pain getting the tether hook in and off that I bought new car seats so we could drastically reduce the times needed to take them in and out( I plan on tracking the car in the pca DE program and will need to take the seats out then,

Any advice on getting the seat hook onto and off of the rear tether anchor? Would taking out the the Bose box help? Advice appreciated!

Jeff
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM
oronymo
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CJC
Hope this pic will help. Mine was pre cut and if you looked close enough you could just see it.
So if you cut it can you put it back so it’s no longer noticeable? I want to do this but also don’t want ugly ripped up carpeting in the back of my 911.

Quick Reply: Attempting to install a child seat in the rear of my 997.