Sponsored by:

Xenon fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 105 Posts
Lightbulb Xenon fog lights?

My brother changed his fogs lights to Xenon lights that matched the color temp of his main headlights on his M3. At night, the symmetry (when looking in the rear view mirror for example) looks much better compared to regular lights/Xenon lights when the fog lights are turned on. Has anyone changed their fog lights to Xenon lights, and if so what did you use? If not, I suppose I can try to find a match by finding out what part of the spectrum the Porsche Xenon lights transmit light? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Fog lights are for better visibility in fog, not a fashion accessory. Don't be that guy.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:11 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where would you get them?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.hoen-usa.com

few options, ones to match your HID's, the others for fog and bad weather use.
Porsche are actuall driving lights, not fog lights. Fog lights were abandoned a few chassis changes ago and are integrated into the body and relatively high on the car to be useful in fog.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:33 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Porsche is the most profitable car co for offering such 'fashion accessories' as color to sample paint, leather etc. in fact youd be hard pressed to find another car company as fashion conscious as porsche...check out their accessory catalog. If you want to change the kelvin grade of a bulb, I say hell yeah.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:45 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

aren't fog lights supposed to be yellow/amber in color?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney99
www.hoen-usa.com

Porsche are actuall driving lights, not fog lights. Fog lights were abandoned a few chassis changes ago and are integrated into the body and relatively high on the car to be useful in fog.
You can also get a high beam bulb from Hoen that has a "white" look simialr to the HID low beam. I replaced both high beam and fog lamps with Hoen.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Deven
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Fog lights are for better visibility in fog, not a fashion accessory. Don't be that guy.
Clear side markers are a fashion accessory, as are many other things people do to their cars (wheels, spoilers, tints, color of the car, PSE, etc etc). Fog lights can also be used as an alternative to DRL as they serve a similar function so they have a practical use other than using for fog (though most cars have them as fashion statements). Plus as gmoney99 has mentioned, the 997 sits too low, so the fog lights don't serve very well for illumination during fog, the regular headlights do.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Deven
Pro

Originally Posted by gmoney99
www.hoen-usa.com

Thanks for the link - tips. I just need the fitment guide for the 997 (I will e-mail them). Not to bad price as well.

High beam, did not think of that. I think that the dome lights can also be changed out to match the color of the Xenon lights. Certainly makes the interior of the car look 'different' because of the color.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

careful on interior, the slightly yellow is a warm light. replace with xenon look and it gets bright white, not always a good thing but tastes vary. It might look good in a cab though.

997's are H11 high beam and H8 fog lamp.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:48 PM
jfraser
Instructor

Deven.....
Gmoney is well....right on the money regarding the interior lights....I'd leave them stock, the warmth of the yellow looks significantly better than xenon does.

I have the Hoen lights as well.....very good quality & match. I didn't change the high beam, because the bulb has a blue tint to it (when its not lit) and this reflects off the back of the headlight housing...When you look front on at the car, it's very pronounced!! (BTW the color temp match is spot on).

I changed the fog lights, and also the city lights (if you look treally careful when you switch on the headlights, you'll see that there is a small bulb that illuminates in the foglight housing) I guess Porsche must be fashion conscious as well because they tried to match the xenon temp by using a Philips bluevision bulb....Unfortunately it still doesn't match. If you look on the Hoen site you'll see the replacement for this (and it matches the xenons correctly).

I guess I was bored one sunday afternoon, because I also changed all the indicator lights to Philips silvervision (bulb is a matt silver color that goes amber when illuminated) I think these are standard OEM on BMW's now (good quality bulbs in other words)

Finally, as a damage prevention tip..... use masking tape on the paintwork around all the light assemblies....Everything is very easy to remove, but the housings tend to have sharp edges etc. The last thing you want to do is scratch the paint on the bumper when you reinstall the lights etc.
Enjoy!!

Quick Reply: Xenon fog lights?