Sponsored by:

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:36 PM
ahs911cab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

As the tempatures approach 100 degress, why not talk about winter tires? I have a 2005 c2 and I am thinking about getting 18" rims and tires for the winter. I looked at Nokian tires, but the biggest size winter tire is 245/40/18. I can get a Nokian all season with a rear size of 295/35/18 and the tire has received great reviews. Do you think that the 245/40/18 is too small? It will fit on a 9.5 wheel.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to mount Michellin PS A/S on my 18" wheels. We don't get that much snow in DC so those will be good for winter. I've them on my CLK and they were pretty good.

Guido
Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gweedo911
I'm going to mount Michellin PS A/S on my 18" wheels. We don't get that much snow in DC so those will be good for winter. I've them on my CLK and they were pretty good.

Guido
I am in DC as well and was well down the path of looking at snow tires and an aftermarket set of rims. Was leaning toward the new Michelin Alpin which has the N1 designation (last year's model was N0).

I decided this week to explore a different route; instead of mounting the snow tires in November and riding around on them until March or so I am instead now thinking of just keeping the OEM setup (PS2's) on year round and just parking the car when it snows. My concern had been that the summer tires become hockey pucks when it goes below freezing. I have been told by several tire experts, however, that our OEM tires are perfectly fine in cold weather as long as the surface is dry and you don't try anything stupid.

I have the AeroKit so clearance issues would've had me parking the car anyway if there was any accumulation whatsoever. If it's snowing (or going to) I'll just take the wife's SUV and leave the PCar at home. What do you think?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

After driving into the winter with oem tires, I'd have to disagree. I had a few twitchy moments in the cold, no snow or ice and bought the Continental TS 810S which are Porsche approved and was very happy all Winter long.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Frino: I would be very hesitant on driving summer tires below 40F.... if you dont want to change tires, you might want to just go for all-seasons... my .02 Ross
Old 08-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Frino
Pro

Originally Posted by rcg412
Frino: I would be very hesitant on driving summer tires below 40F.... if you dont want to change tires, you might want to just go for all-seasons... my .02 Ross
The only all season that I've found is the Yokohama. Pirellis and Michelins A/S don't fit anything close to a 235/265 18" set up. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I remain leery of driving summer tires in the dead of winter...the alternative, driving on snows knowing that I won't drive the C2S when there is snow on the ground, is sub-optimal as well.

Still trying to figure it out. Please know that the opinions of my fellow 997 drivers count as much if not more than the so-called experts. TIA
Old 08-04-2006, 08:45 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Dont think of winter tires as "snow tires" think of them as tires for cold weather. I think the michelins come in that size, someone mentioned it on the 996 board. Also- winter tires are a lot cheaper than summers... you can get ~30K miles out of them.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:46 AM
ahs911cab
Intermediate

I am looking at the Nokian WR, which is an all season tire, but it rated for snow conditions by the Canadian government. It has received good reviews as a winter tire.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Frino
The only all season that I've found is the Yokohama. Pirellis and Michelins A/S don't fit anything close to a 235/265 18" set up. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I remain leery of driving summer tires in the dead of winter...the alternative, driving on snows knowing that I won't drive the C2S when there is snow on the ground, is sub-optimal as well.

Still trying to figure it out. Please know that the opinions of my fellow 997 drivers count as much if not more than the so-called experts. TIA
I went with these winter tires (Porsche approved) and had a great winter with them. As others have said, it really is about temperature not ice/snow. However, I drove in the snow a bunch of times and it was fine.

235/40VR-18 Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S N0 (Porsche)
265/40VR-18 Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S N0 (Porsche)
Old 08-04-2006, 01:04 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rcg412
I'll agree 110%, Frino. I drove the C4S in March - dry, sunny day - but zero degrees F. I came out of a heated garage, so no issues whatsoever... then I parked at work for a couple of hours. My parking is covered, but outdoors...

...it took a half hour of careful driving for the tires to become "round" again. D'oh - won't do that again.

Not pretty. And if you encounter any ice or snow with the max performance summer tires mounted, you'll be screwed - AWD or not.

Winter compound tires are the way to go - and with them mounted, any 911 can be a spectacular winter driver.

Good luck!

-don
Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

For about $2100 you can buy a set of 18" winter wheels with Winter Contis from the Tire Rack - mounted, spun, and delivered. I used them last season with great success. You will want to add the Porsche 17mm rear spacer set to make the f/r tracks align better and to make the car look 'proper.' Sontact Damon at Tire Rack if you're interested (damon@tirerack.com).
See these posts:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=winter+tire
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=winter+tire
Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM
DMR
AutoX

I also used the Continental ContiWinterContact TS810S's last winter on my C2. I drove it to vermont to go skiing several weekends and the car behaved beautifully on snow, ice, and in sub freezing temperatures.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I suggest that you subscribe to Christophorus (the factory magazine). Each year they have an extensive article on snow tires and winter driving,--particularly on the latest models, of course. It's very useful. That article may be out in another month or two.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:23 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I went with these winter tires (Porsche approved) and had a great winter with them. As others have said, it really is about temperature not ice/snow. However, I drove in the snow a bunch of times and it was fine.

235/40VR-18 Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S N0 (Porsche)
265/40VR-18 Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S N0 (Porsche)

Did you get those from Tire Rack? How much did they cost? I need these size tires for my CaymanS this winter.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Frino
Pro

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
I'll agree 110%, Frino. I drove the C4S in March - dry, sunny day - but zero degrees F. I came out of a heated garage, so no issues whatsoever... then I parked at work for a couple of hours. My parking is covered, but outdoors...

...it took a half hour of careful driving for the tires to become "round" again. D'oh - won't do that again.

Not pretty. And if you encounter any ice or snow with the max performance summer tires mounted, you'll be screwed - AWD or not.

Winter compound tires are the way to go - and with them mounted, any 911 can be a spectacular winter driver.

Good luck!

-don
Great insights...agree on how big of a pucker it would be unexpectedly hitting the isolated patch of ice on summer tires.

Thanks to all for sharing their views. I'm not going to f ' around on this issue...winter tires on aftermarket rims is the smart way to go....

Quick Reply: Winter Tires