Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting In satilite radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

Sorry about last post- should have proofread it...to many beers on a hot Sat. afternoon. Not driving, don't worry. But FM modulated satellite radio still sucks and Porsche shouldn't be the last car company to give people what they want when every cheap Japanese or Korean co.( or heaven forbid and American car co.) can do it for a fraction of the cost of our cars- wired sat radio, ventilated seats, bluetooth phone, keyless go, etc. Of course they say their engineering goes into the engine, driving dynamics, etc. How much extra weight would these things cost; how much extra expense or engineering expertise. Sorry for the rant. Guess I just need another beer and I'll go for a long drive tomorrow and forget all about it.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
rmira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Germans make the best cars IMO, but when it comes to stuff like this they are clueless. My 2001 M5 had an in dash cassette??

I have the after market satellite radio wireless tuner. I'm waiting for the factory approved 997 sat. option.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:45 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I'm afraid of. The Germans have a habit of knowing what is best for the rest of the world.

Mercedes started putting in Sat. radio in 03 but they are really run by Chrysler.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
That's what I'm afraid of. The Germans have a habit of knowing what is best for the rest of the world.

Mercedes started putting in Sat. radio in 03 but they are really run by Chrysler.
Not all German Mfg. are like Porsche--my A6 has Sirius SAT Radio, as an option. And it's a Bose MOST based system, like the Porsche. So go figure.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rmira
I'm waiting for the factory approved 997 sat. option.
The 9x7 solution is/will be the existing Cayenne (H/W) solution; which is why the Cayenne solution works (9x7 and Cayenne PCM being 99% common S/W)

The only issue is the 9x7 antenna placement, which is still being worked.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Not all German Mfg. are like Porsche--my A6 has Sirius SAT Radio, as an option. And it's a Bose MOST based system, like the Porsche. So go figure.
Technically, they are all (with the exception of S Class Japan cars) Becker based MOST systems, NOT Bose.
Becker manufacturers MOST headunits (with the exception of the previously mentioned S Class Japan system) and the headunit is, by design, the MOST master; the amplifier, like the CDC and NAV, are simply MOST nodes.

The issue is simply a small company (sub 100K cars/year) like PAG getting the attention of Becker to provide them what they want on PAG's schedule.

Becker is rather busy at the moment......

Quick Reply: Putting In satilite radio