Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so many cabs for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:04 AM
JCortney
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked at every dealer within 500 miles of Dallas and they are all LOADED with cabs. Somewhere around 6/1 ratio. It's really hard finding a nice coupe that isn't black/black or Artic/Black.

Joe
Old 07-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JCortney
I've looked at every dealer within 500 miles of Dallas and they are all LOADED with cabs
That, with all respect, is untrue because there's not a single cab for sale at my dealer, neither new nor preowned. And I'm only 200 miles away from Dallas.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:44 AM
JCortney
Advanced

Sorry if I was misleading, I only searched for S bodies:

Park Place Porsche 25 Cabs - 6 coupes

The Porsche Store 14 Cabs - 5 coupes
Old 07-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Today's retail glut will become tomorrow's resale glut.
Not necessarily, particularly not for luxury items. While it is an assumption that - intuitively - makes sense, in reality it is not always true. In this specific case it could be quite the opposite. Ultimately, it all depends on factors such as purchasing power and price elasticity of demand. Here's why:

Let's say, the group of people willing and able to purchase a new 997 cab (at new-cab price) is relatively small. That would then mean that dealers have many new 997 cabs for sale (which has been the observation by some/many in this thread).

However, at the same time, the group of people willing and able to purchase a used 997 cab (at used-cab price) might be quite large. Those people will wait for used 997 cabs to become available. Since fewer people are purchasing new cabs, fewer used cabs will become available, leading to an increase in value of used cabs.

So the whole thing may work in favor of current 997 cab owners entering the resale market.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:26 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Not necessarily, particularly not for luxury items. While it is an assumption that - intuitively - makes sense, in reality it is not always true. In this specific case it could be quite the opposite. Ultimately, it all depends on factors such as purchasing power and price elasticity of demand. Here's why:

Let's say, the group of people willing and able to purchase a new 997 cab (at new-cab price) is relatively small. That would then mean that dealers have many new 997 cabs for sale (which has been the observation by some/many in this thread).

However, at the same time, the group of people willing and able to purchase a used 997 cab (at used-cab price) might be quite large. Those people will wait for used 997 cabs to become available. Since fewer people are purchasing new cabs, fewer used cabs will become available, leading to an increase in value of used cabs.

So the whole thing may work in favor of current 997 cab owners entering the resale market.

Where were you when Alan retired?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:29 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not necessarily . . . . Since fewer people are purchasing new cabs, fewer used cabs will become available, leading to an increase in value of used cabs.

you me the sky is not falling???
sounds good to me!
you stat profs are good for somethin!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icon
you stat profs are good for somethin!
Jeff, that's NCDell and Statman... I'm consumer psychology and international marketing!

(Marketing is everything and everything is marketing)
Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Where were you when Alan retired?
Ha ha... well, OCBen messed it up... he has these connections... and insisted that Alan's successor must have the first name 'Ben'...
Old 07-28-2006, 03:30 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Let's say.... So the whole thing may work in favor of current 997 cab owners entering the resale market.
Nice theory.

In practice, you will lose your shirt, thanks to cars coming off leases, Porsche's CPO competition, and a general unwillingness of buyers to plunk down a large amount of cash on a "never been tracked, never driven in the rain" high performance sports car without a warranty. And, surprisingly, 993 cabs have had much less resale value (%-wise) than the coupes (I have no idea why...).

Of course, you'll have lots of fun before you lose your shirt, so don't worry about it!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Nice theory (...) In practice, you will lose your shirt (...) And, surprisingly, 993 cabs have had much less resale value (%-wise) than the coupes
Nice, isn't it? But your initial statement was simplified economic theory, too, so nothing different really from my side.

In either case, the good thing is (while I appreciate concerns), I don't think many of the 997 cab owners in this forum are going to lose their shirts even if values plummet to zero. If I remember the whole recently revived "can I afford a 997" discussion correctly, most of the cab owners used equity financing und kept their shirts to serve as collaterals for - I don't know - something else anyway.

Nevertheless, I'd definitely be interested in the stats you are refererring to (993 cab vs. coupe resale values in relative prices). Do you (or anybody) happen to have the reference at hand? Thanks!

======================================

ADDENDUM: Since we were talking about pricing today in class, I thought I let my students do something useful and had them calculate the average 996 used base coupe price and the average 996 used base convertible price, using data from used-car websites. The results supported the argument that cab prices fall stronger than coupe prices (average price was $58,385 for used coupes versus $61,035 for used cabs).

Of course, this simple approach only looked at the base version, did not control for any other value-related factors (initial purchase price, condition of vehicle, etc.) and did also not consider possible seasonal price fluctuations (cabs may be more expensive in early spring than in mid-summer).

Most importantly, the results may not necessarily be the same for 997 models (I have a theory about that, too!). Nevertheless and ceteris paribus, we did the same calculation for the 997 models with the following results: average price was $75,117 for used coupes versus $82,959 for used cabs. However, the number of available 997 used coupes was 3.57 times higher than the number of available 997 used cabs, so considering the relatively small sample to begin with, that may skew the results quite a bit.

And, yes, I know I’m a very sick man.

Last edited by Soulteacher; 07-28-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Someone published a production number for the cabs and it was significant. Didn't they sell more cabs than coupes? Someone confirm...
Old 07-28-2006, 05:53 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I didn't buy mine to make money so the IRR or ROE is unimportant since it doesn't exist. Depreciation--I got bugs in my teeth since I can't get the smile off my face from hauling *** with the top down.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:43 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Nevertheless, I'd definitely be interested in the stats you are refererring to (993 cab vs. coupe resale values in relative prices). Do you (or anybody) happen to have the reference at hand? Thanks!
Don't expect rigorous stats from some clown on a car board!

However, you can get a pretty good idea of the 993 coupe vs. cab disparity by looking at Autotrader.com. That should be a large enough sample set to have some validity, even for you...
Old 07-29-2006, 03:05 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I didn't buy mine to make money so the IRR or ROE is unimportant since it doesn't exist. Depreciation--I got bugs in my teeth since I can't get the smile off my face from hauling *** with the top down.
Amen brother!

I just did my first top down evening drive the other night because it was 88 degreees outside ( a rare event in the evenings in Seattle - its usually between the 50's at night even if it is super hot during the day) - it was AWESOME!

Quick Reply: Why so many cabs for sale?