Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts regarding first PDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006 | 08:26 PM
birdman
Instructor

Default Thoughts regarding first PDE

I recently returned from my first PDE, the 2 day High Performance Driving Class. I must tell you everything I experienced including the hotel, food, facility, instruction, and instructors, was first class.

The first morning began in the classroom to gain an understanding of vehicle dynamics. After discussions of understeer, oversteer, braking, and acceleration we were off to the track areas. Autocross laps in a Boxster, acceleration and braking in a Cayman, and a Carerra to drive on the slippery skidpad. A record of each lap time was taken to monitor improvement. During my skidpad time John rode along as my instructor. He encouraged me to accelerate harder down the short straight. It didn't take much additional throttle too early out of the turn for me to spin 180 degrees and entertain my group . Off to the big track to run the Carerra's and learn proper line, braking, turn-in, and acceleration points. Plenty of seat time was provided. Nature provided rain during the afternoon allowing us to work on modified lines and varied traction conditions.

Day two - in the classroom again for an advanced discussion then off to a competetive event!! Our group began at the "Michelin Autocross Challenge"; a team event where each driver on the team ran the autocross track for 3 laps. The winning team would have the quickest overall time. Total time included driver changes. Off to the Cayman for Heel & Toe downshifting practice. Hurley Haywood was an excellent instructor allowing me to feel comfortable with this quickly. Next to the skidpad for timed laps. A dramatic 10 second improvement for me . And off to the big track to put all this together at speed. Funny how I missed my braking points when I focused on proper heel-toe downshifts, and how a missed braking point leads to a missed turn-in point, etc. Barber is an excellent technical track for PDE. After a few more laps things were really coming together. I felt like I was stringing the whole track together, YES!! Then, with my newfound confidence I got on the gas coming out of turn 16 too early and too abruptly. Oversteer! Off the gas too quickly and snap oversteer to the highside! -I now see there is a reason the instruction and track exercises follow a logical sequence- I kept looking where I wanted to go and used both the steering wheel and the pedals to steer the car to bring it back in line. From that point forward I could feel "the string" connected between the steering wheel and the pedals working as I drove along.

I had a great time and learned a lot. Instructors appeared to enjoy their jobs and have a genuine interest that the students grasp the material presented.

One more thing, the autocross competition results........
Of the three teams and ours placed last too much time spent changing drivers.
However, of the entire class, I posted the second quickest single lap and received a cool Michelin tire gauge.

I will definitely attend another PDE, and get the quickest autocross time!!
Old 07-25-2006 | 09:16 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

glad you enjoyed pde and birmingham!
meet any other rennlisters???

jeff
Old 07-25-2006 | 09:29 PM
birdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by icon
glad you enjoyed pde and birmingham!
meet any other rennlisters???

jeff
I met MJones, great guy. He almost convinced me to take The Masters with his group!
Old 07-25-2006 | 09:34 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by birdman
I met MJones, great guy. He almost convinced me to take The Masters with his group!
no really! what's he like?
kidding bri !
i guess you mean right after completing your course?
that would have been neat!
too bad you didnt get to!

jeff

p.s. you can delete the dup post if you want!
Old 07-25-2006 | 09:46 PM
birdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by icon
no really! what's he like?
kidding bri !
i guess you mean right after completing your course?
that would have been neat!
too bad you didnt get to!

jeff

p.s. you can delete the dup post if you want!
Yep, four days of track instruction, HP and Masters back to back. I needed time to digest all the info I got during the HP. I'll take the Masters in about six months.

How do I delete the dupe post? I've looked but not found the info.
Old 07-25-2006 | 10:06 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by birdman
How do I delete the dupe post? I've looked but not found the info.
forgot!
i don't think you can delete the first post in a thread.
mod will have to do it!

have fun in 6 mos!
Old 07-26-2006 | 09:54 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

It was great to meet Birdman, got to see him with big grin on his face!

PDE is GREAT!
Barber is so much fun to drive and a challange to get right

If they had a money back guarantee....they would have no takers.

ICON....when are you going to sign up????????????????

Quick Reply: Thoughts regarding first PDE