Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pictures of Porsche fire extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My brother had a super-charger added to his car. He
backed out of his garage and smelled fuel. The next day
he backed out and smelled fuel again. He poped the hood
and found the fuel line clamp was loose.
I have a factory extingisher and it is halon. Let us
know how you bolted it to the seat.
Paul
Old 12-08-2006, 01:57 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
Here is a small picture.
Paul

Last edited by PAULSPEED; 10-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Based on this thread, I'm adding it to the order for my 997....$140 is pretty cheap for a little security.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

For those of you that have a need for a fire extinguisher now and didn't order with the car here is the solution I ended up going with. It is a Brey Krause mount and a Brey Krause quick release with a safecraft fire extinguisher. If you go with this set up you will need to use some sort of shim in the quick release mount to the bottle as the safecraft is slightly smaller than 3" in diameter. I like the BK quick release better than the safecraft so I went with this option.

I never wanted a fire ext. in the car and I like this set up because with the quick release mount it pops right in or out and when out you really do not notice the mounting plate much. I had the dealer install it today and they took it easy on me and charged me 1 hour labor.
Attached Images    
Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
From PCA: 10. Fire extinguishers are mandatory for all run groups and must be securely fastened, metal to metal (minimum 2.5 pound, with two strap metal bracket recommended) within reach of the driver. This requirement is waived for first time participants for one event only

Note - key words are securely fastened, metal to metal (mount). They recommend two strap metal, but that is not a requirement, thus the nylon strap conforms.

From somebody that has one: The way it looks to me is you have the metal frame and tracks of the seat, and then you have a metal bracket which is bolted to that (near the tracks) and the extinguisher is held on to that bracket with a quick release.

From PCA: The OEM fire extinguisher you ordered with your car meets our requirements.

Based on those assurances, I left the fire extinguisher on my order. Getting another opinion certainly can't hurt.
This is a 2006 thread, but it is clearly the best thread that I've found on the subject of OEM extinguishers.

Can anyone check to see if PCA rules have changed on this subject (i.e. is OEM fire extinguisher still acceptable?).

Signed,

About to order 997 and will eventually use it for newbie track events
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven DE with 4 different chapters this past year and all 4 have been 100% fine with my oem. Before I went to the events, I even shared photos and description and asked for "approval" and all said "absolutely fine". One even said "Ron, that's so much better than some of the duct tape deals we see out there..."
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Ron.

You can be proud that your response has added $140 to my order price.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 PM
mikestash
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
If mine catches on fire, I really don't want to be fighting it with that dinky extinguisher. Let it burn, burn to the ground so I can get another one. Maybe it's good for a small electrical fire, but you better be sure it's a Halon medium or the like. Anything else will just destroy your electrical system requiring extensive repair.
Uh, the extinguisher is required for most pca events and other track groups. Believe me, this is a great investment for 140 bucks.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM
jwins
Intermediate

I found out the hard way that while one can order the OEM bracket and have it installed (approx. $700), one cannot buy the OEM fire extinguisher. I couldn't find another extinguisher that would fit in the factory bracket and had it removed. I was also told that in addition to the metal on metal mounting requirement, the OEM extinguisher is not of sufficient capacity to meet the requirements of the local PCA chapter for DE events. If you don't have the OEM one installed at the factory, I'd suggest an after-market alternative.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by jwins
I found out the hard way that while one can order the OEM bracket and have it installed (approx. $700), one cannot buy the OEM fire extinguisher. I couldn't find another extinguisher that would fit in the factory bracket and had it removed. I was also told that in addition to the metal on metal mounting requirement, the OEM extinguisher is not of sufficient capacity to meet the requirements of the local PCA chapter for DE events. If you don't have the OEM one installed at the factory, I'd suggest an after-market alternative.

+1
I was looking into the Nevada Classic Challenge and this was true. OEM would not of passed. Looking at the set up above is one of the best ways to go!!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

The fire extinguisher is so that you can get out of the car un-burned - not to save the car...

It's to save you - not the vehicle...

Quick Reply: Any pictures of Porsche fire extinguisher?