Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pictures of Porsche fire extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Any pictures of Porsche fire extinguisher?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 AM
rootkid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in use?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:34 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default In the car. nt

ny
Old 07-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Here's one:
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2006, 05:33 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 159 Likes on 81 Posts

Can it be easily added if the car is not equipped from the factory with the extinguisher?

B
Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

At $140 one of the "least expensive" options from Porsche
Old 07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Not A Simple Retrofit

Order the Fire Extinguisher with the car if you can. The cradle/ bracket is designed to mate with a specially fitted mounting plate under the seat of ordered cars and this cannot be retrofitted without seat dissassembly, ordered parts and added labor expense.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:38 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking for a mounting bracket for the passenger's manual seat. No luck so far.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:48 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

If mine catches on fire, I really don't want to be fighting it with that dinky extinguisher. Let it burn, burn to the ground so I can get another one. Maybe it's good for a small electrical fire, but you better be sure it's a Halon medium or the like. Anything else will just destroy your electrical system requiring extensive repair.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsixx
I have been looking for a mounting bracket for the passenger's manual seat. No luck so far.
Maybe you can find something here:

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9520.php
Old 07-16-2006, 02:09 PM
MMD
Banned

Here's a close up:
Old 07-16-2006, 02:19 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Agreed. Though it will be hard to guage if the car is engulfed enough to burn to the ground efficiently.

Also, the car is cramped enough and I can't imagine forever sharing that important heel space with the FE.

Maybe put a FE in the car trunk to save someone else's LIFE in a wreck you might encounter. Make sure you ask their permission to "save" their car or you might get sued later.

The thing better be halon (discontinued?) or CO2, or similarly dissipatory, because you'll have a bigger mess if the fire is extinguished.

Track usage requires carrying and using a FE so these points are moot for some... .
You are right, Halon has been discontinued. However, they continue to recycle what is still out there. Many office buildings that have computer back-up systems use Halon as it causes NO damage to components--it eats oxygen thereby starving a fire.

There are newer materials out these days that are almost as effective and cause no damage to the ozone. So, when they convert to newer extinguishing materials, the Halon is bottled, stored and resold. It cannot be manufactured any more.

Griots still sells an extinguisher that I believe contains Halon. If you can get it, it's unbelieveably effective. I've seen it in action years ago when I went to a business related conference and they showed us how effective their disaster recovery worked, including a Holon event.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:44 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
If mine catches on fire, I really don't want to be fighting it with that dinky extinguisher. Let it burn, burn to the ground so I can get another one. Maybe it's good for a small electrical fire, but you better be sure it's a Halon medium or the like. Anything else will just destroy your electrical system requiring extensive repair.
Amen brother - that is EXACTLY the way I feel too.

The other funny thing is I was thinking about the fact that you can't manually unlock the doors or roll down the windows if there is no power. I freaked for a moment and then thought - if I went off the road into the water - would I really want to escape and survive with my 911 at the bottom of Lake Washington?

The answer is no, I'd rather go down with her and make it my permanent resting place!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT but this thread reminded me of this quote, “We all live in a house on fire, no fire department to call; no way out, just the upstairs window to look out of while the fire burns the house down with us trapped, locked in it.” Tennessee Williams
Old 07-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I know someone who's used it to put out a fire in some dry brush by the side of a dirt road...
Oubviously you have to use common sense and know when to let it go and when to get the hell away.

Ron - uhhhh, buddy, if you drown in your car in lake washington your poor little corpse is getting pulled back up, the porsche sold for scrap metal and turned into a cube...
Sorry.

Quick Reply: Any pictures of Porsche fire extinguisher?